NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rich Eisen must not be much of a handyman. When they showed the goalpost tilt being fixed during the highlights he described the tool in use as a "straightedge." Um, that would actually be a level, Rich.

Since no one else has said it, I will...how in the world did the ref miss Ryan getting knocked upside the head on that sack? Should have been a penalty without question. Other than that I thought the officiating was decent.

I think the Seattle game is a possible win-kinda win situation for the Saints. If they beat the Seahawks and end up with home field advantage, win. If they lose but go back to Seattle in the playoffs, they'll have the experience to learn from plus it's usually difficult for one good team to beat another twice in the same season. So kinda-win.

Can't wait for that game. It should be epic. If I was Rob Ryan I'd put that "Beast-mode" Lynch run from the Seattle playoff win on a loop in the defensive meeting room. I don't think any Saints defender wants to let that happen again.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Had the opportunity to be in the Georgia Dome last night (can't believe they're tearing it down, but that's another topic). I went with an ATL fan. I like to joke with them that Ryan/Smith are one of the best QB/coach combinations the Saints have ever had, so I really enjoyed Ryan's slide on 3rd and goal and Smith's call for a field goal at the end. The crowd was showing no mercy at all.

I think the Seattle game is a possible win-kinda win situation for the Saints. If they beat the Seahawks and end up with home field advantage, win. If they lose but go back to Seattle in the playoffs, they'll have the experience to learn from plus it's usually difficult for one good team to beat another twice in the same season. So kinda-win.

I'll be thrilled if the Saints win, but I don't want Payton and Ryan to throw the kitchen sink at them in order to do so. I see the Saints getting the #2 seed regardless of the outcome in Seattle. It's looking like a split with Carolina is coming up, and God only knows what will happen @Rams.

PJU85JF.png

Rich Eisen must not be much of a handyman. When they showed the goalpost tilt being fixed during the highlights he described the tool in use as a "straightedge." Um, that would actually be a level, Rich.

Since no one else has said it, I will...how in the world did the ref miss Ryan getting knocked upside the head on that sack? Should have been a penalty without question. Other than that I thought the officiating was decent.

Can't wait for that game. It should be epic. If I was Rob Ryan I'd put that "Beast-mode" Lynch run from the Seattle playoff win on a loop in the defensive meeting room. I don't think any Saints defender wants to let that happen again.

I see your point, but I've always felt this was a loaded point. If anything, I'd think it's harder for a good team to try and win against another good team in a venue where they've already lost earlier in the season.

With an assist to the scab refs, the Russell Wilson Seahawks have never lost at home. I think if the Seahawks nab the #1 seed, they're gonna reach the Super Bowl.

spacer.png

I see your point, but I've always felt this was a loaded point. If anything, I'd think it's harder for a good team to try and win against another good team in a venue where they've already lost earlier in the season.

With an assist to the scab refs, the Russell Wilson Seahawks have never lost at home. I think if the Seahawks nab the #1 seed, they're gonna reach the Super Bowl.

Agreed, which is why with no disrespect to alxy8s I think the Saints have to throw the kitchen sink at the Seahawks. I think the Saints might win at Seattle if it comes down to that in the NFCCG but I'd much rather see how the Seahawks like a taste of their own 12th-man medicine in the Superdome.

What in the world happened to Thomas DeCoud (Falcons #28) when Jimmy Graham stiff-armed him? It's in this clip (worth watching for the 2 awesome stiff-arms). DeCoud spins around in a circle like a guy who drops the ball and doesn't know where it is.

Favorite shot from last night's telecast:

Fullscreencapture1122201315845PM_zps65b2

You know, it's interesting how much easier it is to hate from a distance. I've despised the Falcons since I was a kid and still do. But I've lived in metro Atlanta for 12 years and have seen that Arthur Blank, Mike Smith, Matt Ryan, and assorted other Falcons types (Warrick Dunn) are very good and decent people, as are many of my friends and colleagues who are fans. On a strictly human level I feel bad for them.

But my two favorite teams are still the Saints and whoever is playing the Falcons. :D

Even that kid knew it was a dumb decision to try a field goal when down by 4 with just over two minutes left in the game. Sure, it was 4th-and-15, but 52-yard FG's aren't much more of a gimme, either.

You're 2-8....why bother being conservative? Mike Smith's been extra nutty this season with his decision-making.

Even that kid knew it was a dumb decision to try a field goal when down by 4 with just over two minutes left in the game. Sure, it was 4th-and-15, but 52-yard FG's aren't much more of a gimme, either.

You're 2-8....why bother being conservative? Mike Smith's been extra nutty this season with his decision-making.

Disagree. As a Saints fan I can testify that Matt Bryant is usually annoyingly automatic, and was again only to have it negated (for once) by the last-second timeout (that I wish the league would outlaw btw). Say he makes it again. If the D can stop the Saints, the Falcons get the ball back needing only to get into Bryant's range again, not score a TD. Not saying it was brilliant but it's at least understandable vs. the chances of picking up 4th & 15 when Ryan couldn't take two steps back on a drop all night without a Saints defender breathing down his neck.

That Falcons O-line is what should be scaring people.

It was an ultra-conservative move for a team that's 2-8. This from the same coach that once went for it on 4th-and-1 on his own 30 in OT against the Saints.

Sure, the odds aren't very good of converting a 4th-and-15. The odds aren't much better for making a 52-yard FG, then recovering an onside kick or stopping the league's 2nd-best offense on three downs, then getting the ball back.

I don't know if anyone else got this on their station, but I got pulled away from the MIA-CAR game and they went to the studio: "Due to NFL rules, we have to take you to DAL-NYG, America's game of the week. They waste time showing pointless shot of Giants running onto the field... "and we'll take you to that game after this commercial break". So we miss the end of the game for a commercial? Then, they show like five seconds of a commercial and take us to OT of GB-MIN. They cut away for a real commercial break with GB on the goal line, and come back to GB-MIN to see GB had to settle for a field goal. They do not have their stuff together at Fox today.

We haven't cracked 40 points in almost 7 years. I don't care to check and see how often we gave up 40 during that period. Also sending all the Bears fans home unhappy is....satisfying. With a backup RB even more so. I do hope Forte gets better Chicago.

DonValentinoRamswin_zps258b9f6d.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Maybe I still have the "never punt" high school coach's interview from the Slate Hang Up and Listen podcast on my brain, but what benefit was there to Green Bay punting to Minnesota with :07 on the clock in OT, being hopelessly far from FG range, and fourth and a lot? Running one more play would tick off the final seconds, and you may get a defensive penalty to get one more untimed down.

Since the Pack did punt, though, lay blame at the foot of the Vikings to not use that last second to request a fair catch free kick, which would have given Blair Walsh a 76-yard FG attempt with no GB rush. What's to lose?

Eh, never mind ... Neither of these teams deserved a W.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Archived