NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

Apparently, more people across America watched NFL preseason games than watched baseball pennant races and the start of college football. What's more stunning of these statistics is that more people watched preseason football than would probably watch a championship series in any other sport.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/30/4676264/nfl-tv-ratings-fourth-pre-season-game

This isn't news. NFL games regularly outdraw MLB Playoff games.

Preseason, though? I mean it's one to say that NFL games outdraw viewers of other leagues (which is common sense). Then again, it's another to say that (for example) viewership for the Saints "B" and "C" teams approached Super Bowl-esque ratings. Hell, I'd also not be surprised if tape-delayed August games get higher ratings than live, meaningful games from other leagues.

This could, also, be a justification case for owners to continually charge full-scale prices in preseason to season-ticket holders.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, more people across America watched NFL preseason games than watched baseball pennant races and the start of college football. What's more stunning of these statistics is that more people watched preseason football than would probably watch a championship series in any other sport.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/30/4676264/nfl-tv-ratings-fourth-pre-season-game

fyeahamerica-montage.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So, Lights Out, remember saying how the Bucs would've been better off signing Antoine Winfield than trading for Darrelle Revis?

Winfield evidently had an awful camp, was beaten out for the nickelback job in Seattle, and retired rather than being cut. Maybe there's a reason why 36 year old CB's aren't a hot commodity on the market. There's a reason why it cost the Bucs an arm and a leg to get Revis, and why it was completely worth it, too.

spacer.png

Lawrence Tynes intends to (rightfully) fight Bucs over designation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9621709/lawrence-tynes-fight-tampa-bay-buccaneers-roster-designation

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Damn. I was really rooting for Tebow to make it. Though if he would be used the he was on the Jets, cutting him was the right choice.

And why the :censored: did we cut Mesko for a rookie? What was the logic in that?

They're logic was probably something like "Let's pick the guy who can kick the ball further!".

Lawrence Tynes intends to (rightfully) fight Bucs over designation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9621709/lawrence-tynes-fight-tampa-bay-buccaneers-roster-designation

Chris McCallum

You're a kicker.... No one cares

I find it strange that football fans are so contemptuous of the people who play the game. You're especially seeing it in the wake of the concussion settlement, with all the "aw they knew what they were getting into what about coal miners SUCK IT UP YOU PLAY A GAME FOR MONEY." You could say it's racial but you'd be wrong; everyone seems to be treated as fungible chess pieces with ill-gotten gains.

EDIT: it should go without saying that the rise of fantasy football correlates with the drop in viewing football players as human beings, but let's get it on the record just in case

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jeez, really. But, at the same rate, we could probably link 95% of all comments sections on sites like ESPN, Yahoo, PFT, etc., and be able to justify linking them in our "world going to crap" thread.

The Bucs training facility was a breeding ground for a staph infection, and the Bucs tried to use some sneaky maneuver to try and allay themselves of any legal ramifications. Yeah, I'd be pissed too if I were Lawrence Tynes, knowing what that disease has done to him, physically and as far as having a job is concerned, since he ended up not getting the Bucs kicking job as a result.

(that sneaky maneuver, for those who haven't read, is placing Tynes on the NFI - non-football injury list. You know, the kind of list that someone like Connor Barth, the erstwhile Bucs kicker is on after suffering a torn achillies while playing basketball, or whatever the hell it was. Something that, if he weren't violating terms of contract, probably doesn't happen. Well, golly gee, Tynes didn't really have any control over whether he got a staph infection, now did he? Clowns. The way this organization goes about things really irritates the hell out of me at times.)

spacer.png

Tebus on getting cut.

"I will remain in relentless pursuit of continuing my lifelong dream of being an NFL quarterback."

Give it up dude, you sound like Eric Crouch.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Read a tweet from a Bears guy who didn't end up making the team/practice squad, and it's simple "Thanks to the Bears for this opportunity" somehow sent a warm signal to me.

I enjoy when rookies/young NFL players are professional/grateful about their releases. It's insanely hard to make an NFL team, much less have any success at the pro level, so it really pleases me when I watch cuts on Hard Knocks or twitter or wherever and see players shake coaches hands and thank them for the experience.

Granted they probably have their fair share of tears/anxieties/etc once they're away from the public eye, but that's perfectly normal. The pull of social media to slander teams or coaches is pretty high when you're in the heat of the moment (or at least I imagine), so to publicly state some gratitude and positive attitude about the whole thing says a lot.

I'm hoping rookie symposiums are helping to make this common behavior. Having a positive rapport from previous coaches and some game tape at the NFL level are invaluable at getting another shot at the big league.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Tebus on getting cut.

"I will remain in relentless pursuit of continuing my lifelong dream of being an NFL quarterback."

Give it up dude, you sound like Eric Crouch.

Keep in mind Tebow needs three more games on a NFL roster to gain his 4th NFL season and thus a fully vested NFL pension at age 55.

As Tebow was signed under an older (a non-current) CBA. He only has three years of NFL service, so three games on an active/inactive/IR roster in one season equals one year of NFL service.

Read a tweet from a Bears guy who didn't end up making the team/practice squad, and it's simple "Thanks to the Bears for this opportunity" somehow sent a warm signal to me.

I enjoy when rookies/young NFL players are professional/grateful about their releases. It's insanely hard to make an NFL team, much less have any success at the pro level, so it really pleases me when I watch cuts on Hard Knocks or twitter or wherever and see players shake coaches hands and thank them for the experience.

Granted they probably have their fair share of tears/anxieties/etc once they're away from the public eye, but that's perfectly normal. The pull of social media to slander teams or coaches is pretty high when you're in the heat of the moment (or at least I imagine), so to publicly state some gratitude and positive attitude about the whole thing says a lot.

I'm hoping rookie symposiums are helping to make this common behavior. Having a positive rapport from previous coaches and some game tape at the NFL level are invaluable at getting another shot at the big league.

Well, there's also the fact that maybe if these teams suffer a couple of injuries down the line these players may be getting a phone call. They also may find themselves fighting for a roster spot next season as well and burning bridges isn't going to get them a whole lot of opportunities, so not appearing grateful and professional would only hurt them down the line.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived