Rose Garden now Moda Center at the Rose Quarter

OMMF

After 18 years, it's going to be hard to change people's habits of calling it the Rose Garden. In fact, I don't think they can, so how much are they really getting out of the naming rights?

http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/PressReleaseDisplay/tabid/297/itemId/3877/Default.aspx

Has any new arena gone longer without naming rights before finally getting them?

After 18 years, it's going to be hard to change people's habits of calling it the Rose Garden. In fact, I don't think they can, so how much are they really getting out of the naming rights?

http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/PressReleaseDisplay/tabid/297/itemId/3877/Default.aspx

Has any new arena gone longer without naming rights before finally getting them?

What the public calls it matters far less than what the team's broadcasters -- who, I'm certain, are contractually obligated to use the new name -- call it on TV. That's where the money is. Hell, locals still refer to Jeld-Wen Field by its prior name, PGE Park, but I doubt that's lessened the value of the deal for Jeld-Wen.

What the public calls it matters far less than what the team's broadcasters -- who, I'm certain, are contractually obligated to use the new name -- call it on TV. That's where the money is. Hell, locals still refer to Jeld-Wen Field by its prior name, PGE Park, but I doubt that's lessened the value of the deal for Jeld-Wen.

It'll always be Civic Stadium to me.

v40P3lq.png

WANNA CATCH SOME B-BALL IN OLD PORTLAND

WENT INTO A BAR AND ORDERED A WHISKEY SODA

S-O-D-A SODA

I ASKED FOR THE WAY TO THE ROSE GARDEN

SHE SAID IT CHANGED ITS NAME NOW YOU HAVE TO CALL IT THE MODA

M-O-D-A MODA

MOMOMOMO MO DAA

Candlestick Park's name changed to whatever it was changed to (3Com Park?) after 35 or so years.

Other examples of stadiums that got naming deals well in to their existance are "Mall of America Field at HHH Metrodome" and "Mercedes Benz Superdome".

Not sure if with the Metrodome if the actual name of the venue has changed or if it's just literally the field that was sponsored, like how some colleges have their courts named for one person and their arenas named for another (or in Temple's case, the jump ball circle has it's own name.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not sure if with the Metrodome if the actual name of the venue has changed or if it's just literally the field that was sponsored, like how some colleges have their courts named for one person and their arenas named for another (or in Temple's case, the jump ball circle has it's own name.)

Or how the Seattle Sounders play on the XBOX Pitch at CenturyLink Field.

The Forum in Inglewood went 21 years (1967-1988) before acquiring naming rights from Great Western Bank (and changing the arena exterior color from sunset red to navy blue).

Or how the Knicks and Rangers play at "Madison Square Garden presented by Chase Bank."

And here I thought "Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium" sounded stupid. Kinda ALMOST makes that whole "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" nonsense sound palatable.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

THANK YOU! Glad I'm not the only one around here who still does. Then again, my dad still calls it Multnomah Stadium...

As for the Rose Garden, my feeling is split. On one hand, I'm glad it's a local business that's not Nike or Microsoft. On the other hand, nobody knows who the hell Moda is. Can that really be a good business move?

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Stadiums have corporate names because the corporations use it as a way to advertise. The arena formerly known as the Rose Garden isn't supposed to gain anything (other than the $ from the naming rights deal) from having a corporate name, the corporation gains.

If people were deciding between going to a concert at the Moda Center vs going to the exact same concert the next night at Jeld-Wen, the deciding factor isn't going to be the name of the venue.

THANK YOU! Glad I'm not the only one around here who still does. Then again, my dad still calls it Multnomah Stadium...

As for the Rose Garden, my feeling is split. On one hand, I'm glad it's a local business that's not Nike or Microsoft. On the other hand, nobody knows who the hell Moda is. Can that really be a good business move?

Everybody posting in this thread has now heard of moda. 20k people per event will have heard of moda. Millions who watch on TV or hear radio ads will here of moda. Whether it's a good business move is debatable, but whether it will bring awareness to the company isn't.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

WANNA CATCH SOME B-BALL IN OLD PORTLAND

WENT INTO A BAR AND ORDERED A WHISKEY SODA

S-O-D-A SODA

I ASKED FOR THE WAY TO THE ROSE GARDEN

SHE SAID IT CHANGED ITS NAME NOW YOU HAVE TO CALL IT THE MODA

M-O-D-A MODA

MOMOMOMO MO DAA

:blues: :blues:

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

U.S. Cellular Field will always be called Comiskey Park to me.

I'll always call wherever the Broncos play Mile High, and the Vikings play at the Metrodome.

The Rogers Centre is still called the SkyDome; the Indians still play at Jacobs Field.

I still call Sacramento's home ARCO Arena; and the Pacers' Conseco Fieldhouse.

It took me 2 seasons to stop calling Comerica Park Tiger Stadium. I know it's not the same park, but when you say you're going to Tiger Stadium for all those years, it takes some adjusting.

sig.png

The Forum in Inglewood went 21 years (1967-1988) before acquiring naming rights from Great Western Bank (and changing the arena exterior color from sunset red to navy blue).

Or how the Knicks and Rangers play at "Madison Square Garden presented by Chase Bank."

Kinda ironic in regards to Chase, since they're also going to be the corporate sponsor of the renovated Forum once it re-opens (The Forum, presented by Chase). The Forum will revert to its original sunset red exterior color (the orange and yellow seats will be all-red).

Chase Bank itself trances part of its linage back to Great Western, as GW and Home Savings Bank of California merged into Washington Mututal, and WaMu merged into Chase.

Chase Bank itself trances part of its linage back to Great Western, as GW and Home Savings Bank of California merged into Washington Mututal, and WaMu merged into Chase.

God bless America.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

We in New York's Capital District have the Times Union Center. Before that, it was the Pepsi Arena. And before that, it was first called the Knickerbocker Arena. People STILL call it "The Knick".

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Not as long as the Rose Garden name, but the Orlando Arena (TD Waterhouse Centre/Amway Arena) went 11 years (1989-2000) as the Orlando Arena or "The O-Rena" as us locals called it and continued to call it until they tore it down.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

Archived