Uni Watch Power Rankings 2013: MLB

Jungle Jim

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had to pick, I'd say the Orioles are the most overrated uniform set in baseball. The white front panel hat with cartoon bird really doesn't look right on a modern uniform to me, and everything else about the look seems so uninteresting. I'm really not sure what the solution is. I did like the early 90s set with the detailed bird and the black lettering and piping. Just looked a little sleeker to me, and they are one of the teams who should be able to own and emphasize black.

The list lost credibility with Oakland not ranked #1.

And you just further lost credibility, if you still had any, as far as baseball uniforms are concerned.

Why - because I don't rank your Cardinals #1? :rolleyes:

The A's by far have the best uniforms in baseball, it's not even close. Distinctive color scheme that just pops, the best home cap in baseball, and even their road greys don't look boring. About the only thing I really don't like is their road cap and their current sleeve patch.

8613-3Fr.jpg

rickey_henderson_1993_06_01.jpg

Perfection.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Ya these are opinionated for the most part...

The Rockies are back because the dude hates purple so much, The Nats are too far back because "too many caps" and like recently stated, the Indians are too far back because of Chief Wahoo. The Braves are too far back, probably because he doesn't like the name, and "Too many jerseys" and I don't think the Cards are #1 I would say either Toronto, Oakland, or Baltimore (I'm a sucker for the bird head :P )

I agree that he can be a little crazy with his choices and reasoning, but really, isn't it all an opinion? Some people (on this board) believe that they are the first and last word on any type of uniform because of [insert reason here]. If something is pleasing to your eye, it's good. To you. It's that simple. Let's not be so pretentious here, fellas. We have people getting nasty at other board members because of their tastes, and that's absurd. Personally, I prefer the look of the Cardinals, Tigers, Yankees, A's, and Dodgers, but that's just my opinion. You don't need to have a design degree/job or know the history of every uniform from 1602 to know what looks good to you.

Not to pick on you, Matt, just going off of the "opinionated" comment.

Edit: Look up at McCall's post. And I'm a Cardinals fan.

Beyond the problematic racist logo

I hate the recent explosion in the use of "problematic" for social justice stuff. Something about it is just so gnawing. "I find this problematic." Ugh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The list lost credibility with Oakland not ranked #1.

And you just further lost credibility, if you still had any, as far as baseball uniforms are concerned.

Why - because I don't rank your Cardinals #1? :rolleyes:

The A's by far have the best uniforms in baseball, it's not even close. Distinctive color scheme that just pops, the best home cap in baseball, and even their road greys don't look boring. About the only thing I really don't like is their road cap and their current sleeve patch.

8613-3Fr.jpg

rickey_henderson_1993_06_01.jpg

Perfection.

Well personally yes I completely disagree with you. But you're entitled to your opinion.

But to say another list has no credibility because they didn't put Oakland #1 does show your lack of understanding of the subject and just how delusional you are when comparing your opinion to others'.

It bothers me how Lukas always ranks the Tribe near the bottom because of Wahoo. Whether you consider the logo racist or not, you do have to admit that they have very nice looking jerseys. It's silly.

i agree. when critiquing uniforms, i keep the logos separate. placement and application of the logos is one thing, but i don't think its fair to judge a uniform based on what the logo looks like. however, if i'm going to pick my personal favorite uniforms, i would consider the entire identity

and Cardinals at #1? man, baseball is so boring

The Cardinals have a giant logo on their uniform. They're your example of boring?

In any case, the Cardinals DON'T deserve to be #1 IMO. Not with the crap they pulled on the uniforms this year. Hate the number of combinations they now wear. Truly that on a weekend home series, they wear a different set each day.

One of the best examples. Take away the logo and you're left with the most common color palette in baseball and nothing else thats memorable. Plus their logo is terrible it dosent get better with it added. Ive always said the difference between simple and boring is simple is effective. Baseball for the most part is cometley boring because most teams look the same

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Too tired/lazy to string together a well-thought-out paragraph, so...

• I'm puzzled as to why he said "Keep the navy alternates if you must" about the Braves, considering it's easily the worst of their three alts
  • Cardinals at #1? In a few years when they fix the road script/alternate/hat issues, sure, but definitely not now
  • The Indians that low just because of Wahoo? He's isn't even used that much. They should be low because they can't decide whether they're a cursive/Wahoo team or a block script/"C" team. I used to favour the latter, but now I've really come to like the former. Fix the "I" in the "Indians" script so it doesn't look like a "J", bring back the cursive "Cleveland" script, keep the navy alt and throw everything else in the trash.
  • All in all, I agree with him on most things, though

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Baseball uniforms are not about side panels and all-over-the-place piping like the uniforms of other sports. Classic, traditional. That's what baseball uniforms are. The Cardinals don't need anything beyond the birds-on-the-bat. They stand out more with a plain uniform. To think some of these classic teams need to change their colors and uniforms just because they're like someone else's is just ignorant. Baseball uniforms are, by nature, not super flashy and extremely modern. They're just not.

But to say another list has no credibility because they didn't put Oakland #1 does show your lack of understanding of the subject and just how delusional you are when comparing your opinion to others'.

I don't see how my opinion on his list shows any "lack of understanding" of baseball uniforms. It's simply my opinion that the A's have the best uniform in baseball and so I personally disagree with any list that doesn't have them at #1. You're completely overreacting.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

"You WILL acknowledge the Cardinals having the greatest look in all of sports history, or so help me I'll...I'll...I'll bitch about it!"

You could technically insert whatever your favorite team is in lieu of "cardinals" for this statement to be accurate to this and similar threads.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

No list is right or wrong, since they are all opinion, but his explanations are very bad. Like that one poster mentioned, he faulted the Nats for having 3 hats, when the Cardinals also have 3 hats? C'mon.

My Top 5:

1. Dodgers

2. Athletics

3. Pirates

4. Blue Jays

5. Phillies

Here's my top 5 in no particular ranking order:

Cardinals

Yankees (homes, aways suck)

Tigers

Dodgers

Blue Jays

Hell here's the next 5 (again no ranking):

Pirates

Braves

Athletics

Mets

Cubs (same as Yankees)

Giants

Mariners

Red Sox

(Ok so there's 8. Crap. Can't believe I forgot the Braves.)

1. St. Louis

2. Toronto

3. NY Yankees

(Quite possibly the 3 teams I despise the most are my top 3. Ugh)

4. Detroit (I'm not a big fan of our away, but our home is among the best)

5. Oakland

6. LA Dodgers

7. Chicago Cubs

8. Atlanta

9. Kansas City (veeeeery underrated set)

10. Pittsburgh

11. San Francisco

12. NY Mets

13. Baltimore (Love the color scheme. Not a big fan of the cartoon bird. I thought the full Oriole was classier)

14. Philadelphia

15. Anaheim

sig.png

My Top 5 picks:

1. St. Louis (definitely the best)!!

2. NY Yankees (I hate them with a passion, but anybody thinks they should not be put in the Top 2 is delusional).

3. Detroit (especially the home unis).

4. Boston

5. Colorado (Their home pinstripes might even be just as good as the Yankees, and the purple alts are seriously underrated IMO).

Just missing the cut: Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, New York Mets, Pittsburgh and Oakland.

Archived