Uni Watch Power Rankings 2013: MLB

Jungle Jim

The list lost credibility with Oakland not ranked #1.

Oakland would be ranked higher in my list if they use a lighter shade of green, particularly the kelly green color they had during their early 70s championship days. The dark green and gold is kind of a ripoff the NFL's Packers, even though we are talking about different sports leagues. Still, the Athletics have a very solid colorful look no matter what shade of green they are wearing.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how Lukas' opinions are worthy of any more hate than anyone's who posts their lists in this forum. Agree or disagree with him, at least he expresses his opinions clearly and coherently. The entire purpose of this list (and any power ranking list, really) is just to generate discussion and debate. Unfortunately it generally turns into attacking the author, or taking a low ranking of your team's uniform as a personal attack on you, your family, and anyone you hold dear.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5. Colorado (Their home pinstripes might even be just as good as the Yankees, and the purple alts are seriously underrated IMO).

Yes, they actually are quite nice. I never, ever see the Rockies so they're under-appreciated. The last (and probably only) time I saw them was the 07 Series. I do wish the home had a little more purple.

sig.png

I happen to agree with the NBA one much, much less than MLB, where he did a pretty good job. Golden State, Phoenix, and Washington all over-rated. Cleveland and Milwaukee way underrated.

I have no problem with him dissing the T-Wolves (and I pretty much agree with the little statement he made), though I don't think they are 29th.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

"Ideally, a uniform should be viewed in a vacuum, strictly on the basis of its aesthetics."

and thats why i don't read his stuff. i'm done

Your problem is that he's judging visuals... on the visuals?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

My top five NBA:

1. Cleveland
  2. Boston
  3. Los Angeles
  4. Hornets (I'm pretending this is three months ago - there aren't too many good looks in the NBA)
  5. Chicago

And the much more familiar-to-me-MLB:

1. Oakland
  2. Toronto
  3. Mets
  4. Dodgers
  5. St. Louis (Fix the current issues and they'll jump to #1)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Today is NBA:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/9554965/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nba-uniforms-1-30

The Suns at 11 is a bold move, but I agree for the most part with this ranking. OKC at 8 i am not a fan of, Heat seem a bit high, New York seems low but otherwise I mostly agree with these

Let me guess the Cavs are rated low because they play right across the street from that racist MLB team?

It bothers me how Lukas always ranks the Tribe near the bottom because of Wahoo. Whether you consider the logo racist or not, you do have to admit that they have very nice looking jerseys. It's silly.

i agree. when critiquing uniforms, i keep the logos separate. placement and application of the logos is one thing, but i don't think its fair to judge a uniform based on what the logo looks like. however, if i'm going to pick my personal favorite uniforms, i would consider the entire identity

and Cardinals at #1? man, baseball is so boring

The Cardinals have a giant logo on their uniform. They're your example of boring?

In any case, the Cardinals DON'T deserve to be #1 IMO. Not with the crap they pulled on the uniforms this year. Hate the number of combinations they now wear. Truly that on a weekend home series, they wear a different set each day.

One of the best examples. Take away the logo and you're left with the most common color palette in baseball and nothing else thats memorable. Plus their logo is terrible it dosent get better with it added. Ive always said the difference between simple and boring is simple is effective. Baseball for the most part is cometley boring because most teams look the same

Opinions and all that, but I can't wrap my head around the Cardinals logo being terrible nor the idea that you should remove the logo, script, whatever, from a jersey when evaluating it.

Striping, piping, and all of that are complimentary elements that should be on uniforms for a reason and match the established identity. If they don't provide enhancement, then they shouldn't be there. I find striping on sports uniforms these days to be a bit problematic* because it's often there just because that's what sports uniforms have. There should be more thought than that.

I think the Cardinals have a beautiful logo, and I think piping and other elements detract from it rather than add to it. (That's one reason that I not only dislike the existence of their alternate uniform, but don't love the uniform in the first place).

Again, I wouldn't rank the Cardinals #1 anymore, but if they wore just two uniforms and one or two caps (with a consistent approach), then I would. Their homes (if I have to say it—in my opinion) are far and away the best in the league.

* - Yep. I did that just for you.

"You WILL acknowledge the Cardinals having the greatest look in all of sports history, or so help me I'll...I'll...I'll bitch about it!"

You could technically insert whatever your favorite team is in lieu of "cardinals" for this statement to be accurate to this and similar threads.

I know it's kinda the thing to pick on Cardinals fans obsessions, but really McCall was trying to make the point you were, not trying to force the Cardinals as #1 down anyones throat. Another poster said the list lost credibility because it didn't reflect his opinion.

McCall may believe the Cardinals are #1, but all he was saying is that it's crazy to say that there's only one right opinion and anyone's list that doesn't have it isn't credible.

Basically you and him are on the same page, and the potshot probably should have gone towards the guy saying the A's are the only one's who should be considered for #1.

It bothers me how Lukas always ranks the Tribe near the bottom because of Wahoo. Whether you consider the logo racist or not, you do have to admit that they have very nice looking jerseys. It's silly.

i agree. when critiquing uniforms, i keep the logos separate. placement and application of the logos is one thing, but i don't think its fair to judge a uniform based on what the logo looks like. however, if i'm going to pick my personal favorite uniforms, i would consider the entire identity

The Cardinals have a giant logo on their uniform. They're your example of boring?

In any case, the Cardinals DON'T deserve to be #1 IMO. Not with the crap they pulled on the uniforms this year. Hate the number of combinations they now wear. Truly that on a weekend home series, they wear a different set each day.

One of the best examples. Take away the logo and you're left with the most common color palette in baseball and nothing else thats memorable. Plus their logo is terrible it dosent get better with it added. Ive always said the difference between simple and boring is simple is effective. Baseball for the most part is cometley boring because most teams look the same

Opinions and all that, but I can't wrap my head around the Cardinals logo being terrible nor the idea that you should remove the logo, script, whatever, from a jersey when evaluating it.

Striping, piping, and all of that are complimentary elements that should be on uniforms for a reason and match the established identity. If they don't provide enhancement, then they shouldn't be there. I find striping on sports uniforms these days to be a bit problematic* because it's often there just because that's what sports uniforms have. There should be more thought than that.

I think the Cardinals have a beautiful logo, and I think piping and other elements detract from it rather than add to it. (That's one reason that I not only dislike the existence of their alternate uniform, but don't love the uniform in the first place).

Again, I wouldn't rank the Cardinals #1 anymore, but if they wore just two uniforms and one or two caps (with a consistent approach), then I would. Their homes (if I have to say it—in my opinion) are far and away the best in the league.

was that about stripes, or "problematic"? i never had an opinion about "problematic".

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

was that about stripes, or "problematic"? i never had an opinion about "problematic".

Sorry. That was a too subtle nod to the admiral's problem with the word "problematic" earlier in this thread. Nothing to do with our discussion. My bad.

Today is NBA:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/9554965/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nba-uniforms-1-30

The Suns at 11 is a bold move, but I agree for the most part with this ranking. OKC at 8 i am not a fan of, Heat seem a bit high, New York seems low but otherwise I mostly agree with these

Let me guess the Cavs are rated low because they play right across the street from that racist MLB team?

Are you taking it personally that some writer doesn't think your local team's uniforms are great? I think he explained why the Cavs were rated low. Not sure what it has to do with the racist MLB team.

EDIT: WTF with the quotes? Can an admin comment on whether this is permanent or if they're working on a fix?.

EDIT2: As soon as I edited the post, the quotes looked OK. Weird.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry. That was a too subtle nod to the admiral's problem with the word "problematic" earlier in this thread. Nothing to do with our discussion. My bad.

ah, i see.

back to baseball, i'll go along with critiquing the entire uniform logos and all when referring to baseball. each sport has it's own culture and graphic language, but baseball seems to have a much tighter formula than most. it's not just "place logo across chest" kind of thing. so many of the MLB teams solutions are the same. so it's "place 2 color script across chest" repeated over and over. then, use red/white/blue when possible, have a monogram on the hat, gray road uniform, and pin stripes if you're feeling fancy. i see it as "boring" because of that. when you strip away what makes each team different, you're left with so many more things that makes them the same.

but if you're going to use the formula and have a series of logos that carry the identity then they should be some strong logos. The Cards havent changed anything major in i dont even know how long so what they have "works" fine because of the consistency. but that script is OK at best, certainly not an example of fine typography. the bat/birds/script mark has directional lines going all over the place. they all send your eye in a different direction out into space. i look at this uniform/identity and just see how much better it could be

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived