San Diego Padres Possibly To Get New Uniforms

FRIAR_BOLT_619

I guess the reason I can't get behind brown for the Padres anymore is that relative to, say, the midwest/rust belt, San Diego doesn't particularly seem like a place that lives in its own past. Now, some contrarian could easily start posting pictures of old buildings within San Diego city limits, but no, that's not really what I mean! It's just that I've always thought of San Diego as having a certain contemporary spirit not necessarily associated with that Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Detroit triad (which always seems to be fighting amongst itself). Things are new, people are new, so on, so forth. The park is even a departure from Neo-Retro Mania (other than incorporating the WMSB).

And also, the weather is really nice! I realize brown makes sense for friars, but it doesn't reflect a city on the ocean where everything is in a near-perpetual state of pleasantness. So I think when they came out with a uniform that connoted breeziness and smoothness and ocean waves, they really, sigh, hit it out of the park. Of course, the rest of the identity was full of little hitches that I didn't like, but as an overarching concept, it was a very good idea. It made them stand out in a way that the old navy/orange didn't (which, btw, has no redeeming qualities, and why are we even talking about it).

So while I think brown worked well for the '70s and '80s, I think they had to move on.

The city's history with brown goes back pretty far back to the mission days and the friar's cloak/robe...given that the city was founded by said missionaries and is essentially the state's 1st city I think you could make a strong case for brown as a primary. Additionally you could say that the yellow represents the 300+ sunny days/year and you have youself a pretty good color combo with real local relevance. Bonus points as well for not being red+navy.

Born and raised in San Diego. Brown and gold are perfect for the mascot and the city.

8505_10200489396652091_108365584_n.jpg

But the Padres don't play in Coronado :/

Caught me. Alright, so now I have a find a photo a couple of miles up the coast.

Sunsets and brown scrub brush reminds me of San Diego

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I realize that. The Giants, Pirates, and Reds also wore red and blue before the late 40's. Glad they found something different they could stick with.

We will have to agree to disagree about the Padres. I grew up with the Padres in brown, and have watched them since 1982. I liked the colors, and they always made sense to me. You obviously don't like brown, and that's ok. And, I don't have to wait until they go back to brown( which they won't) to buy a taco bell cap. I have one of each already, with orange piping, and without. Also, a 1969, 1972, and 1985 cap.

My guess is that in about 2 years from now, when they do something different, you will be overjoyed, and I won't. :) We will see.

We will have to agree to disagree about the Padres. I grew up with the Padres in brown, and have watched them since 1982. I liked the colors, and they always made sense to me. You obviously don't like brown, and that's ok. And, I don't have to wait until they go back to brown( which they won't) to buy a taco bell cap. I have one of each already, with orange piping, and without. Also, a 1969, 1972, and 1985 cap.

We will have to agree to disagree about the Padres.

agree to disagree

original.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Well, San Diego was discovered by the Germans in 1904. Instead of paying tribute to the military with awful camo jerseys, they should put "San Diahgo" on the road unis to pay tribute to the city's original settlers. That would look much better. :lol:

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Well, San Diego was discovered by the Germans in 1904. Instead of paying tribute to the military with awful camo jerseys, they should put "San Diahgo" on the road unis to pay tribute to the city's original settlers. That would look much better. :lol:

the translation was lost years ago, but experts believe it most closely means a whales vagina

I'm sure a lot of us here would love to see a Blue Jays-style rebrand but are expecting more of a "boring" Astros-type change. This entire organization needs a revitalization in the mold of what the Dodgers recently put out. And honestly, if it has to mean a more boring uniform change, then so be it. But please, at all costs, not the red white and blue PCL garbage.

I would love some brown-yellow-brown sleeve cuff striping, the current elongated SD cap logo rather than the more compressed 70s version, and for those (few) who cuff their pant legs, brown stirrups with yellow sanis.

I wouldn't call the Dodgers a "revitalization", all they did was remove the outlines and piping from the road set. Their road look is still no better than "pretty good", and they kept the glaring error from the last set of putting the LA patch on the sleeve.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why is that a "glaring error"?

Cap logos repeated as a sleeve patch is a major faux pas. Shows laziness and looks redundant.

As far as my "revitalization" claim goes, I meant the organization as a whole, not the uniforms. And just for the record, I think the Dodgers look is quite remarkable as is.

You're a couple weeks late, boys.

I didn't want to have to, but the quote was right there.

Anyways, back on topic. With the Blue Jays, it was crystal clear which era they would return to. The 1989-96 set was the only one in which they had any real success. As well, their look hadn't really changed too too much throughout the years before the black. The core was consistent throughout the years: two-tone blue, split-lettered fonts, and a bird head with a baseball and a maple leaf. No matter how they did it, it would have been almost impossible to screw things up as long as they borrowed from the past. Now, that doesn't mean they would have hit it out of the park like they did, but it gave them a huge head start.

The Astros were sort of the same. They had a longtime colour scheme which they wore for almost 30 years before ditching it completely. The current set had become stale and was distant from the team's history. The obvious choice was to go to navy and orange. But here's what separated them from Toronto: they had many different looks in that colour scheme. Colt .45s, shooting star, rainbow gut, block scripts, et al. So there were a lot of routes to go, and unfortunately they chose the safe one. It doesn't look bad, but it's not too good either.

Then you have the Padres. A million colour schemes and a million looks. Obviously the brown is going to come back, but will it be with yellow, orange, or both? What type of "SD" monogram will they go with? Will they bring back the famous-yet-hideous Taco Bell caps? Which scripts? Which fonts? Their identity has been even more all-over-the place than the Astros, which means even more routes to take, which means even higher chances of screwing up. They don't have a new look given to them on a silver platter like the Blue Jays and they don't even have as defined a direction as the Astros. Because of this, I really can't see them not (double-negative, sorry) screwing this up. Yay, we'll see brown and a swinging Friar, but don't get your hopes up for a new, great look.

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

That ain't bad, Scoffing. I like the return of the khaki, though I'm not a huge fan of the SD on the away. The "San Diego" on the home definitely isn't necessary. I overall like the idea, though; it's brown and gold, but not in a gaudy application.

But that alt... ick.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That ain't bad, Scoffing. I like the return of the khaki, though I'm not a huge fan of the SD on the away. The "San Diego" on the home definitely isn't necessary. I overall like the idea, though; it's brown and gold, but not in a gaudy application.

But that alt... ick.

This is how I feel except that I do like the "SD" road jersey. I just don't want the pajama-ish look of the alt to come back.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Why is that a "glaring error"?

1) Because it wasn't on the original LA jerseys, which they were throwing back to by removing the names and then eventually putting them back on but removing the outlines and piping from the road set.

2) Because, like the White Sox logo, I don't think the shape makes it look particularly good on the sleeve.

3) I think it's a great cap logo, as cap logos don't have to be the same style as the wordmark. However, the cap's a different medium. When appearing on the same medium in the same color, the block LA contrasts with the script wordmarks.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But that alt... ick.

Yeah the alt is based on one of the absolute worst version of brown the Pads ever wore.

I would immediately take the above concept look and be happy. The only thing I'd probably change would be the away, putting the lighthouse/bowtie San Diego instead of the SD. Since the Giants have added their SF away alt, I'd just not use it. Plus, the aforementioned San Diego was distinctive, like it or not. The Padres need to be distinctive, like they used to be. Now whether you think they were distinctive in a good waylike me, or in a can't-take-your-eyes-off-a-train-wreck way, you have to admit you knew who they were. Brown and gold, brown and gold.

Oh, and plus...Swinging Friar everywhere, please!

For my concept, I actually have another version of the brown alternate with white pants, but I thought of showing the yellow pants just as a little quirky different thing, which is what the Padres need. The SAN DIEGO on the home jersey relates to their '78 jerseys, just simply modernized. I kind of combined a lot of their styles over the years to create a distinctive look.

Or how bout they just do this...(Sorry for the size)

HomeStandard_zps4f406f88.jpg

Like this except for the script. The "P" trying to be a sail and weird unconnected "a" are simply poorly crafted (I know it's not you but rather their own bad script). I'd say refine the script and this would be an awesome look.

Archived