San Diego Padres Possibly To Get New Uniforms

FRIAR_BOLT_619

In his second official day as the Padres President and CEO, Mike Dee said all the things the fans expected him to say, topped by the obligatory “winning is the No. 1 priority.” Dee said he is “well aware” that many Padres fans have no connection to the current uniforms and many see them as ties to the failed Jeff Moorad-Garfinkel leadership.

“We’re going to listen,” said Dee, who overhauled the look of the Miami Dolphins in his last job as President and CEO of the NFL team.

Dee then asked about the Padres traditional brown-and-gold colors, an redo of the red-white-and-blue uniforms of the Pacific Coast League Padres and the orange-trimmed uniforms the 1998 National League champions wore.

“A lot of things are possible,” said Dee. “It is for us to make it happen. And to make it happen with a smile on everyone’s face. As a baseball organization, I don’t think there’s anything we can’t accomplish.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/aug/20/padres-mlb-dee/

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, their current uniforms blow, but if they go through a "fan feedback" thing and come out with navy and red uniforms paying homage to a freaking minor league team that most of their fanbase never saw, I'm going to snap. Not that anything he said implied it would even be considered, but why would he be asked that? Is there any portion of the fanbase which wants the team to wear those colors?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Okay, their current uniforms blow, but if they go through a "fan feedback" thing and come out with navy and red uniforms paying homage to a freaking minor league team that most of their fanbase never saw, I'm going to snap. Not that anything he said implied it would even be considered, but why would he be asked that? Is there any portion of the fanbase which wants the team to wear those colors?

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing them in the PCL colors. They've been wearing them on throwback days for years now and they're always popular. But no the uniforms I'd like to see return are the '98 Blue/White/Orange combo. It was fairly unique the way they did it and was worn by the best team the Pads ever fielded. And is still close enough to the current color scheme that the predominant blue color scheme of Petco Park won't look out of place.

Ideally they'd bring back the '98 home and away, keep camo for military appreciation Sundays, and have an alternate brown uniform to placate the old timers and "Bring back the Brown" folks.

“It is for us to make it happen. And to make it happen with a smile on everyone’s face. As a baseball organization, I don’t think there’s anything we can’t accomplish.”

That right there tells me it's going to be another boring mess of a uniform. Trying to please everyone only results in a watered-down design.

I'll just go ahead and assume they'll try to modernize that generic navy-white-red PCL set, because it's "classic"! :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

So be fair.. most of the people in San Diego dont see the current team play,,,

In a vacuum, the current uniforms are boring, but not terrible. However, the Padres' issue is that they kept changing identities and now they are probably the least recognizable team in baseball.

Red/White/Blue would not, again in a vacuum, be bad. However for a team that is not recognized to change to such a common color combo seems dumb...plus yet another color scheme for the team that continues to change colors just makes it all worse. And as Old Roman mentions above, nobody cares about that old minor league team.

If they listen to the fan (like the Cardinals pretended to do), there is no question, we're only a few years from brown and yellow. That disappoints me as I love brown and orange (man did it look good on a gray jersey), but it beats being the team with no identity. They'll own brown in MLB again...settling the question of who they are once and for all and rendering them no longer MLB's least-recognizable team and team with least-defined identity (like the Astros).

(Choose orange)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I like brown and yellow for the Padres. I just wonder if its time has come and gone.

Arizona+Diamondbacks+v+San+Diego+Padres+

I still love the basic idea with these. There were just too many flaws, like the bowtie road script, the roads being too yellow, the unnecessary white-only SD monogram (seen above). With the right fine-tuning, it would have been terrific.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Padres could be like the White Sox. The Sox changed more than anyone and then hit upon a classic look. They haven't changed since 1991. The Padres should do the same thing.

The Padres should choose a traditional looking Dark Brown and Gold (yellow) set and own the colors. No pinstripes. No tan alts. A white home with brown Padres script outlined in gold. A grey alt with brown San Diego script in the same font. Minimal piping. No spoon. Plain brown alt with same Padres script.

The logo should just be the swinging friar. No words or roundels necessary.

Then my 22 year nightmare of a navy Padres look will be over.

Everyone loves a roundel.

The Padres could be like the White Sox. The Sox changed more than anyone and then hit upon a classic look. They haven't changed since 1991. The Padres should do the same thing.

The Padres should choose a traditional looking Dark Brown and Gold (yellow) set and own the colors. No pinstripes. No tan alts. A white home with brown padres script outlined in gold. A grey alt with brown padres script in the same font. Minimal piping. No spoon. Plain brown alt with same padres script.

The logo should just be the swinging friar. No words or roundels necessary.

Then my 22 year nightmare of a navy Padres look will be over.

No. Regardless of team, brown and gray look terrible when paired together.

The Padres changing their uniforms is not news. A more surprising headline would be, "Padres NOT changing their uniforms."

Exactly. I actually thought at first that this was just a bumped thread from a couple of years ago when they last changed, again. I do like the basis of their current uniforms, they're just very very very plain and boring.

Brown and yellow. Nothing else.

sig.png

Regardless of team, brown and gray look terrible when paired together.

Can't agree with you there.

They're fine colors together, especially if accented with athletic gold orange.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived