2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

^ not convinced.

Oh, and the Colorado Avalanche are now in 1st place in the Central Division. Better yet, that "big ultra important" game on Sunday night? At this rate, it won't be that dreck-induced game between Dallas and Phoenix, it could between Colorado and Anaheim. Both teams play once more before Sunday night, but as things stand right now, that's 111 points vs. 112 points and #1 in the West overall at stake. Of course, Colorado has to negotiate the Shark Tank before that game and Anaheim has to beat the Kings the night before that game as well.

Wow.

spacer.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

crlache was certainly being obtuse when he singled out (quadrupled out?) those four teams.

You'll have to excuse me - I'm out of it tonight, as I have a massive headache.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

^ not convinced.

Oh, and the Colorado Avalanche are now in 1st place in the Central Division. Better yet, that "big ultra important" game on Sunday night? At this rate, it won't be that dreck-induced game between Dallas and Phoenix, it could between Colorado and Anaheim. Both teams play once more before Sunday night, but as things stand right now, that's 111 points vs. 112 points and #1 in the West overall at stake. Of course, Colorado has to negotiate the Shark Tank before that game and Anaheim has to beat the Kings the night before that game as well.

Wow.

And Teemu's regular season finale.

Could be quite the night.

(Honestly, for the record, I'd rather take the #2 seed and play Minnesota than Dallas. No disrespect to the Wild, just that the Stars and that building have a weird mojo over the Ducks. Always have.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I would just really prefer Dallas win tomorrow night because, even though the Sharks will likely beat the 'Yotes on Saturday night regardless of what happens, I'd prefer that game just mean nothing before it even starts. Phoenix now has 44 losses, just get the "e" next to your name already. I (we) would rather see Seguin and Benn in the playoffs anyway instead of Shane Doan. I think one of the areas I am proudest of when it comes to CCSLC is how hockey fans here have long proven what a fraud Shane Doan is. Too much of the hockey world is still uninitiated on this matter.

spacer.png

Not exactly a sure thing for the Sharks the next 2 games, since remember they're locked in to their positioning now. Then again, remember in 2011 how the Wings won in Chicago the last day of the year, despite being locked into the 3rd seed, and thus the Hawks had to rely on a Dallas loss later to get in.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

It's weird that this years Ducks will be the best ever in their history. The 2007 edition would pound them IMO.

I'd agree with that. I'd say the 2007 team was one of those "built for the playoffs" type teams. Solid goaltending, shut down defense, grind it out offensively, a lot of 3-2 games. That doesn't always translate over the stretch of a full 82-game season. Whereas the 2014 version is exactly the Bruce Boudreau type team. Always pushing the pace and you can gun it out to a 20-0-2 home start and be #1 in the league for a few months. It'll be interesting to see how this team performs in the playoffs when things slow down and it's a battle every night. I'd say this team is a little better defensively than last year and a much better grind-it-out physical possession team than anything Boudreau had in Washington.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

It's weird that this years Ducks will be the best ever in their history. The 2007 edition would pound them IMO.

That '07 team would've had a better record if Giguere and Pronger played the whole year. Giguere missed over a month, and Bryz struggled a bit during that stretch.

Not exactly a sure thing for the Sharks the next 2 games, since remember they're locked in to their positioning now. Then again, remember in 2011 how the Wings won in Chicago the last day of the year, despite being locked into the 3rd seed, and thus the Hawks had to rely on a Dallas loss later to get in.

2011 was weird for this stuff, man. Detroit, who had been dominated all season by Chicago, won 4-3 in Chicago to put the 'Hawks on the outside, only for the already-eliminated Wild to beat the Stars. Don't forget that just the day before that, the Rangers beat the Devils and then needed the Lightning, who were in the same situation as the Wings more-or-less (locked into #5 and zero on the line), to beat the 'Canes in Raleigh in order to get into the playoffs.

Tampa beat Carolina 6-2 in what, to this day, remains one of my all-time favorite hockey games. Knocking a division rival out of the playoffs when they were at home and had EVERYTHING to play for? Felt great.

spacer.png

^ that was a wild weekend to end the season. Three teams needed to beat teams that had nothing to play for and they all lost. Carolina hasn't gotten that close since. Dallas started fast that year and then couldn't sustain it with their weak defense.

It's weird that this season 15 of the 16 spots are locked up going into the final weekend.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I didn't see a Frozen Four thread so I guess I'll post it here.

Union-Minnesota for the national championship.

I tuned into Minnesota-North Dakota with ten minutes left, saw two goals within thirty seconds of each other. Tied 1-1 with North Dakota on the power play and a faceoff in the Minnesota zone with about ten seconds left. Minnesota wins the draw, gets a 3 on 3 towards the Sioux net and a senior who hadn't scored all year wins the game for Minnesota, shorthanded, with .6 seconds left. Crazy.

goal2.gif

PvO6ZWJ.png

Dallas has pissed themselves at least three years running. I know ol' Tinker Galoot is the only major player of theirs to carry over between last year and prior years, but I'm still distrustful. I will admit, though, that the math doesn't favor the Coyotes, who have a tough game with The NHL's Best Fans' Team and then the Stars themselves, who have scored more and allowed fewer on the year.

Reports that Jamie Benn responded to the question "what's your impression of the locker room right now?" with "DUUUUUHHHHHHHH I'M A LOCKER ROOM" are, as of now, unfounded.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thank God Hertl might be back. If he's close to where he was when he left, I like the Sharks chances substantially more, even though I believe we're going to see Hawks-Bruins Part Deux unfortunately.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

That's what North Dakota deserves for ditching the awesome Fighting Sioux moniker!

Had North Dakota not ditched the Fighting Sioux moniker, it's likely the NCAA would have prohibited them from even being in the tournament.

Archived