2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Jackets (yay!) and Red Wings (dammit!) clinch playoff berths in their 1st season in the East. Can't wait to see who goes where for Round 1.

All we all need now is the "Phoenix Amateur Hockey Club of Gary Bettman's Wet Desert Outlet Mall Dreams" to die off by Sunday...and then we can all relax.

This is me tonight

Bk1FqfMCQAA-SWA_zpsaee9dc23.jpg

Is this really you?*

*not saying it as an insult; just as a rouse as to what you look like outside these boards

It's been sad with other teams before, but I think it fits here as well. I hope the San Jose Sharks can be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Congrats to the Beej, that's pretty cool to see.

Also, TWENTY THREE STRAIGHT. Every year, it blows my mind. The Wings haven't missed the playoffs since I was 2 years old...

The first year they miss them, I'm afraid what will happen. Until then, though, W00T.

9-6-5 against the 7 worst teams in the league. LA might be better then they were last year. I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like a first round exit for the Sharks.

San Jose is also better this year than they were last year. I'm probably going to pick the Kings because I think that's the best playoff roster from that division but that series will once again last six games minimum and if San Jose wins it wouldn't be the least bit shocking.

spacer.png

Two-thirds of last year's Western Conference made this year's playoffs!

Blue Jackets years in Western Conference: 12

Playoff Appearances: 1

Years in Eastern Conference: 1

About that move to the Eastern Conference........

PvO6ZWJ.png

Two-thirds of last year's Western Conference made this year's playoffs!

Blue Jackets years in Western Conference: 12

Years in Eastern Conference: 1

About that move to the Eastern Conference........

We could have done without that

What a game last night for the Ducks. That's the team that started 20-0-2 at home. That is what that team can do when they show up motivated and commit to the full 60 minutes. Another very good defensive effort to help out John Gibson, but even then the kid stepped up with 36 saves. I don't think he's the guy going forward this season once Andersen is healthy, but I'm very confident about the future in net.

Also, standing-room only sellout, just about everyone in their seats for puck drop, and a for real playoff atmosphere. Last night was awesome.

Back-to-back Pacific Division champions. It's pretty nice.

---

And major congrats to the Blue Jackets! A lot of people doubted you, but I never did. Go kick ass.

---

And stupid Red Wings. I was just shy of two months old when they last missed the playoffs. As a hockey fan, I've never known a world in which Detroit missed the playoffs. That's stupid. Go away.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm happy for suffering Blue Jackets fans and for some of the good people in the organization (JD, Jarmo, the unfairly maligned Artem Anisimov), but I gotta be honest here: can anywhere be more of a cultural blank slate than central Ohio? I don't know what I'm supposed to make fun of there! They don't talk funny, or act funny, or eat things that are weird. Even Cleveland and Cincinnati do (yeah, sorry, your chili is spaghetti with poo). Detroit, St. Louis, Wisconsin, Vancouver, the whole East Coast, those are all chock-full of sports-heckling comedy bits. What IS Columbus? It's Ohio State, but I don't think I even get to make fun of the whole Ohio State cult because it seems like most Jackets fans are still a little chilly about that whole "open an identical arena down the street and almost put the hockey team out of business" thing. I'm at a loss.

So best of luck, Columbus fans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So this is interesting. With games remaining in Vancouver, San Jose & Anaheim, the Avalanche could very well end up #1 in the west. The only help they need is for the Blues to drop one more game, and they simply control their own destiny to the best in the west. In order to win the President's Trophy though, they would need Boston to lose the remainder of their games, which include Winnipeg, Buffalo & New Jersey, so that's not happening.

This is just incredible. The Avs can go from 2nd worst in the NHL to 2nd best in the NHL in one season, with the majority of changes being staff, and not roster changes.

So this is interesting. With games remaining in Vancouver, San Jose & Anaheim, the Avalanche could very well end up #1 in the west. The only help they need is for the Blues to drop one more game, and they simply control their own destiny to the best in the west. In order to win the President's Trophy though, they would need Boston to lose the remainder of their games, which include Winnipeg, Buffalo & New Jersey, so that's not happening.

This is just incredible. The Avs can go from 2nd worst in the NHL to 2nd best in the NHL in one season, with the majority of changes being staff, and not roster changes.

Isn't it something? It's so great!
9 players have been added to the roster since their last game of the 2012/13 season. Most of which would be considered role players.
Andre Benoit, Retro Berra, Marc-andre Cliche, Nate Guenin, Nick Holden, Cory Sarich, and, Maxime Talbot.
Add to that the return of Alex Tanguay (probably more of a "fan favorite" thing) and the addition of Nathan MacKinnon from the draft.
It's been quite an enjoyable year to watch this team!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived