Bucs Cannot Wear Throwback Due to Safety Issue

tron1013

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does eliminating or restricting the alternate uniforms, a known source of revenue, mean Goodell is "worrying about his revenue"?

That makes as much sense as bringing Tagliabue back.

He won't spend money on fitting the helmets.

I still think it's the NFL running scared after the concussion settlement. They are envisioning a lawsuit from a player suffering a severe head injury while wearing the 1-2 times per year throwback versus wearing their regular helmet - particularly if the player say normally wears a Riddell VSR-4 (which has been discontinued for several years), the team can't come up with a VSR-4 for him, he has to wear something else and then suffers the injury because he wasn't used to the other helmet. At least that is what was stated in one of Lucas's posts in his ESPN column where he interviewed one of his equipment manager contacts who declined to be identified.

I think that's a pretty flimsy rationale - that long-time VSR-4 wearer is eventually going to have to switch any way, and the newer helmets should be more protective. But I'm sure that this decision was partially driven by someone in their legal department.

How does eliminating or restricting the alternate uniforms, a known source of revenue, mean Goodell is "worrying about his revenue"?

That makes as much sense as bringing Tagliabue back.

He won't spend money on fitting the helmets.

I still think it's the NFL running scared after the concussion settlement. They are envisioning a lawsuit from a player suffering a severe head injury while wearing the 1-2 times per year throwback versus wearing their regular helmet - particularly if the player say normally wears a Riddell VSR-4 (which has been discontinued for several years), the team can't come up with a VSR-4 for him, he has to wear something else and then suffers the injury because he wasn't used to the other helmet. At least that is what was stated in one of Lucas's posts in his ESPN column where he interviewed one of his equipment manager contacts who declined to be identified.

I think that's a pretty flimsy rationale - that long-time VSR-4 wearer is eventually going to have to switch any way, and the newer helmets should be more protective. But I'm sure that this decision was partially driven by someone in their legal department.

That rationale makes no sense whatsoever. Many sporting goods companies often continue to manufacture discontinued equipment for pros after they stop selling to the public. There is not a single player in the nfl that has an issue getting a brand new vsr4 at a moment's notice if they need one. If this was really an issue with older model helmets the manufacturers would do an all our recall of every old helmet out there and nobody in the nfl would wear one.

I don't think there can be any doubt that Legal was involved. But that could be said of most significant policies in an organization as large and lucrative as the NFL.

Agree 100%. When there are hundreds of millions if not billions of $ at risk legal is going to be involved every step of the way here on out when it comes to safety risks.

Is there not some kind of way that they can take the helmets they use game in and game out and do some sort of paint or wrap to change the look of the helmet.

Also you cant tell me that they don't get new helmets a couple time a year cause those helmets look new every game.

Is there not some kind of way that they can take the helmets they use game in and game out and do some sort of paint or wrap to change the look of the helmet.

Also you cant tell me that they don't get new helmets a couple time a year cause those helmets look new every game.

They only change them if there is significant damage to them that cant be repaired

They buff and polish the helmets before each game, except fir the steelers who polish the helmets at the beginning of the year and then let the them get scuffed through out the year

They only change them if there is significant damage to them that cant be repaired

They buff and polish the helmets before each game, except fir the steelers who polish the helmets at the beginning of the year and then let the them get scuffed through out the year

Had another thought about this multiple helmet deal. Wasn't it 7-8 years ago during the Spurrier era that washington had the spear helmets for home and their regular helmets on the road? Granted that was nearly a decade ago but this multiple helmet excuse lacks any sort of rational basis.

Had another thought about this multiple helmet deal. Wasn't it 7-8 years ago during the Spurrier era that washington had the spear helmets for home and their regular helmets on the road? Granted that was nearly a decade ago but this multiple helmet excuse lacks any sort of rational basis.

I agree the've lost all rational, but the NFL is doing cya due to the law suits about concusions. Soon they won't have helmet designs cause they will be wearing those slip on helmet pads that cover the helmet that a lot of high schools and lower use during practice.

Does this also mean the Patriots have to bring back those :censored:ty silver jerseys from 2003? Since they won't have throwbacks this year.

this could be a blessing in disguise. Its time for Pats to roll out a red alternate that's fits their current look. I have seen a mock up on here before and it looked great. Lets make it happen Patriots!

1. If so, then it was part of a general throwback uniform they wore a lot. NFL rules have prohibited road/home helmets for longer than that.

2. As you say, it was a long time ago. Understanding of CTE wasn't anywhere near where it was. So not only is it not a sign of inconstancy or hypocrisy or whatever, it'd be socking of the NFL didn't change its policies over that period.

Yeah that was a dumb post. The argument that something was done at one time therefore there's no reason it shouldn't be done now is flawed in every way possible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1. If so, then it was part of a general throwback uniform they wore a lot. NFL rules have prohibited road/home helmets for longer than that.

2. As you say, it was a long time ago. Understanding of CTE wasn't anywhere near where it was. So not only is it not a sign of inconstancy or hypocrisy or whatever, it'd be socking of the NFL didn't change its policies over that period.

Clearly you missed the point. The team wore a home and road helmet for an entire season. One of the excuses made that it was too difficult for an equipment staff to effectively maintain 2 sets of helmets and fit them properly which this example illustrated that it clearly was possible. Equipment managers are highly compotent professionals and have been properly fitting helmets for decades according to manufacturers specifications. Unless there has been a major change in procedure that has made fitting and maintenance exponentially more time consuming, maintaining a 2nd set is clearly not the issue here.

Didn't the Bears wear their throwback helmets in Week 2?

Its the same helmet. Just the stickers have been removed. Same with the Bills.

Side note: Does anyone actually read through topics anymore? Or just skip through them?

iq5b7nF.png

Last week the Bears and Bills wore throwback uniforms. Did the Bills use the regular helmet but with the old logo? Did the Bears take off the C and change the face masks?

what! then how the bears were able to wear throwbacks last sunday vs minnesota. im for players not getting hurt, this sounds like goodell just wants another rule in

what about bears last sunday?

Didnt the Bears wear their throwback helmets this past weekend? What is the difference???

Didn't the Bears wear their throwback helmets in Week 2?

Here's 4 people who can't read the original article (or think about it for two seconds), including sohiosportsfreak who asked the same question on page 7.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Clearly you missed the point. The team wore a home and road helmet for an entire season. One of the excuses made that it was too difficult for an equipment staff to effectively maintain 2 sets of helmets and fit them properly which this example illustrated that it clearly was possible.

No, I'm afraid that you have missed my point. Standards change, and just because what equipment managers did ten years ago was deemed "good enough" at the time does not mean that it would be acceptable under current requirements. We know more about head trauma now than we did then.

Clearly you missed the point. The team wore a home and road helmet for an entire season. One of the excuses made that it was too difficult for an equipment staff to effectively maintain 2 sets of helmets and fit them properly which this example illustrated that it clearly was possible.

No, I'm afraid that you have missed my point. Standards change, and just because what equipment managers did ten years ago was deemed "good enough" at the time does not mean that it would be acceptable under current requirements. We know more about head trauma now than we did then.

Precisely why I qualified both of my statements which you seemed to ignore. We know more about head trauma now but do you have specific knowledge that helmet fitting and maintenance is demonstrably different now than 10 years ago? If so what has specifically changed to the point where past techniques would have zerio relevance? I'm honestly curious at this point.

I'm curious if they could do some type of wrap or skin on the shell of the helmet like they do advertising on cars. Not sure if it would mess with the integrity of the helmet or would be durable enough to hold up during the game, but that would be something worth exploring for the league. If they could make something work, then it saves them money for having multiple sets of helmets and covers them for this as a safely issue.

Here's the issue I have with this. I would think it would be reasonable if there truly was a safety issue (and I'm not arguing whether there is or isn't a safety issue) with not wearing the same helmet every game that the NCAA would also have adopted a similar policy. The thought being that at least in theory the NCAA would be susceptible to the same type of lawsuits relating to head injuries that the NFL is especially considering that the average NFL career is similar to the number of years of college eligibility. Yet the NCAA sees fit to allow its members to roll out a different helmet for each week. Considering all of the research the NFL has on the subject if the use of multiple helmets was such a liability issue you would think the NCAA would have a similar policy especially when considering the amount of money at issue for them too.

Archived