NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

The Zen Master is back in the news again. He isn't really going to New York is he? Phil don't do dumpster fires. Fact.

The Lakers weren't in a great position when he went back in 2005. All they had was Kobe, and Phil didn't seem to even like him.

I hope he takes the job. I usually think "[the sport] is better when Notre Dame/Yankees/Cowboys/etc are good" declarations are BS, but for some reason, it rings true with the Knicks. They're in the #1 market and play in a league with a soft cap. They should be able to be relevant. Just get someone who isn't an absolute moron in the front office and see what he can do.

The Heat and Pacers are fighting tooth and nail for that second seed.

Looks like they got that Raptors Fever. :P

Or should I say Black Magic?

As long as the Bulls are on the other side of the bracket, I'm fine with wherever the Heat end up.

PJU85JF.png

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope the Bulls get the Heat at some point in the playoffs. They'd be going in with nothing to lose, and you know that they'll be playing their hearts out every game. I don't think they'll win that series, but it would sure be a fun one to watch especially with the way Noah's been playing lately.

I've hated the Heat because of some of these playoff series. The funny thing is LeBron wouldn't be close to the biggest cause of this. That honor goes to Udonis Haslem in a landslide. At least he hasn't been seeing the court much lately.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Heat and Pacers are fighting tooth and nail for that second seed.

Looks like they got that Raptors Fever. :P

Or should I say Black Magic?

As long as the Bulls are on the other side of the bracket, I'm fine with wherever the Heat end up.

See, it's situations like this where I wish the NBA adopted the whole "reshuffling" of semifinal matchups, like how the NHL does it after their 1st round. In basketball, it's kind of a bore because in their straight-bracket format, the 1/8 winner always meets up with the 4/5 winner, and likewise between the 2/7 and 3/6 winners. If the Bulls are the #3 and the Heat remain the #2, then their inevitable East Semifinal matchup becomes more a formality, where both Miami and Chicago treat their respective 1st round matchups as fodder. I prefer the element of surprise in every playoff round, where you don't know who you take on next until all matchups of the previous round come to an end.

I've hated the Heat because of some of these playoff series. The funny thing is LeBron wouldn't be close to the biggest cause of this. That honor goes to Udonis Haslem in a landslide. At least he hasn't been seeing the court much lately.

The hell??? Haslem is the reason you hate the Heat? Of all of Miami's classless players during the LeBron era, Haslem is probably the classiest, most respectable Heat player to come out of the team since the summer of 2010.

See, it's situations like this where I wish the NBA adopted the whole "reshuffling" of semifinal matchups, like how the NHL does it after their 1st round.

Could you explain that real quick? I don't follow hockey at all, and the explanation I read didn't say anything about the second round.

The hell??? Haslem is the reason you hate the Heat? Of all of Miami's classless players during the LeBron era, Haslem is probably the classiest, most respectable Heat player to come out of the team since the summer of 2010.

I can't think of anything Haslem ever did to the Bulls, aside from returning from injury in the ECF and playing well.

I'd bet on it being something anecdotal and out of character, like most of the examples cited when explaining dislike for Heat players. The only one that habitually behaves like an –––hole is Wade.

PJU85JF.png

See, it's situations like this where I wish the NBA adopted the whole "reshuffling" of semifinal matchups, like how the NHL does it after their 1st round.

Could you explain that real quick? I don't follow hockey at all, and the explanation I read didn't say anything about the second round.

In the NBA, the brackets are "straight," meaning that no matter who wins, the 1/8 winner always takes on the 4/5 winner in the conference semifinals, and likewise between the 2/7 and 3/6 winners.

In the NHL, after the 1st round matchups are over, the teams are "reshuffled," so that the highest and lowest seeded teams left meet in one conference semifinal matchup, with the middle two remaining seeds meeting in the other matchup.

Let's say for example that the seeds to win their 1st round matchups are the 1, 5, 6 and 7 seeds. In the NBA, the semifinal matchups are 1 vs. 5, and 6 vs. 7. But in the NHL, it'd be 1 vs. 7, and 5 vs. 6. The point is that you don't know who you'll take on next until all of the previous round's matchups are over, and that's more exciting to me.

I can't think of anything Haslem ever did to the Bulls, aside from returning from injury in the ECF and playing well.

I'd bet on it being something anecdotal and out of character, like most of the examples cited when explaining dislike for Heat players. The only one that habitually behaves like an hole is Wade.

In one playoff game against the Bulls he was ejected for throwing his mouthpiece at someone. It was a while ago, but I just remember he was doing other stuff that series that made me dislike him.
Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Let's say for example that the seeds to win their 1st round matchups are the 1, 5, 6 and 7 seeds. In the NBA, the semifinal matchups are 1 vs. 5, and 6 vs. 7. But in the NHL, it'd be 1 vs. 7, and 5 vs. 6. The point is that you don't know who you'll take on next until all of the previous round's matchups are over, and that's more exciting to me.

Makes sense. Upsets aren't as common in the NBA, so maybe that's why they don't bother reseeding. Wouldn't be the worst idea, though.

In one playoff game against the Bulls he was ejected for throwing his mouthpiece at someone. It was a while ago, but I just remember he was doing other stuff that series that made me dislike him.

Wow, that was 2006. You stick to your convictions! Fair enough.

PJU85JF.png

In the NBA, the brackets are "straight," meaning that no matter who wins, the 1/8 winner always takes on the 4/5 winner in the conference semifinals, and likewise between the 2/7 and 3/6 winners.

In the NHL, after the 1st round matchups are over, the teams are "reshuffled," so that the highest and lowest seeded teams left meet in one conference semifinal matchup, with the middle two remaining seeds meeting in the other matchup.

NHL Brackets are straight now too. No more reshuffling.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Blake with 37 points on 14-16 shooting from the floor, 9-10 from the line. Should have gone for 40+ but he fouled out. Still though, extremely impressive performance.

Seriously, can this man get some damn respect now? It's kind of ridiculous at this point.

Kyrie Irving is out for 2 weeks. By the time he's available again, the Cavs should be eliminated from the playoffs, so him playing only hurts lottery chances.

If he doesn't return, he still hasn't been able to finish a season since he was in high school.

PJU85JF.png

That Cavs projection was pretty impressive. Using the court as the video board... yeah I can see that catching on.

Would that lead to duller floors? I guess it wouldn't have to since the keys are colored in here.

Even while watching it I was doubting whether that was happening on the floor or just on screen. It's really an impressive advancement.

Nuggets busted the Clippers 11 game streak in those drab throwbacks tonight. It was good while it lasted but when you get beat in second chance scores its hard to get a W.

I LOVE those throwbacks, especially the number font. I grew up watching those, and my favorites, the 'rainbow' style uniforms. I always wished they'd use the navy, collegiate blue and metallic gold for their color scheme.

Nuggets busted the Clippers 11 game streak in those drab throwbacks tonight. It was good while it lasted but when you get beat in second chance scores its hard to get a W.

A second night of a back-to-back in Denver's altitude is extremely tough. No shame whatsoever in losing that one, the team fought hard despite being gassed and shooting poorly. Nuggets are better than their record, too.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Last night was my first time watching a Clippers/ESPN broadcast, and I'm a Nuggets fan so this may be just me having blinders on, but do the ESPN broadcasters normally worship Blake Griffin for the entire game like that? It was non-stop "Blake Griffin never retaliates to the mean bullies who push him around all the time. He is such a smart guy. Yay Blake!" Then they followed that up with 3 minutes of highlights from previous games where Blake Griffin got fouled. And they did this at least 3 or 4 times. It almost made the game unbearable to watch.

And I like Blake Griffin, he is a great player and he seems like a good guy.

jNTsTyQ.png

Archived