Memphis Pharaohs Concept

McCall

I started working on this concept the other day. I've always liked the name Pharaohs for a Memphis team, with the Egypt connection and the Pyramid there. As I have a lot of family around Memphis, I've always been interested in this idea. A few years ago, someone had a little project for all of us to do an NFL Minor League with each person doing a team and of course I created the Memphis Pharaohs (Rams affiliate). Looking back, I wasn't really satisfied with my concept and now had a better idea in mind. However, I am leaning more towards making this a baseball concept. Whether it be an MLB expansion team or Minor League team or just a random one. I may apply it to a football concept in the future as well and possibly even basketball. Not decided yet.

Anywhoo, this is where I'm at and just wanted to get some ideas and critiques on where it stands. It's supposed to read as an 'M', for Memphis, obviously. I'm still working on wordmarks and secondaries, but do have an idea of where I'm going with those. My main areas of questioning has to do with the shading and shadowing on the face and other areas, and more importantly the cobra thing or whatever that's usually afixed to the front. I can't decide to leave it off, place it on there, or use the shape subtracted from the head dress to create negative space to better read as an 'M'. if it doesn't quite do so yet. It would basically be a cut-out with maybe some features of the cobra without it actually being a full cobra design.

So this is what I have so far.

MemphisPharaohsLogo_1_zps11615f5e.png

Say what you need to say.

(Yes, I just quoted John Mayer, but I feel it applies.)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The colors will probably remain a shade of blue and a shade gold, as those are the more common colors of pharaoh head dresses I've found pictures of. And as I mentioned, I'm probably going baseball to begin with. But thanks for the feedback.

@mr.nascar I typically do more concepts in the fall/winter as it's my slower time. I'm only working my full-time job aswear during the spring/summer I work it, only we're busier, and I also umpire. I do referee youth basketball in January and February, but its really only Saturday mornings. Also if I'm struggling with a concept or am not happy with it, I may not post it. I've posted primary logos and wordmarks a number of times for the Rockies, but never uniforms or cap logos because they weren't coming out good enough for me. I can sometimes be too much of a "near-perfectionist" with them and don't like posting stuff just to post it.

Here's 4 options. 2 with the normal stripes and 2 with the bigger and fewer stripes. I also did 2 with the head dress going behind or to the edge head of the head as is the more accurate, but gives less of an appearance as an 'M'. I left the gold stripes at their previous size to try and still convey the 'M'. Let me know what y'all think.

MemphisPharaohs_Options_zps515f0e9a.png

Archived