What a wretched effort from UConn today. Maybe they aren't as good as they were last year, but Louisville is a team that I don't want to face until late in the tourney.

This team has all the makings of winning it all this year especially with the performance from Russ Smith the last couple of games. (dance)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NC's already been covered, but here's the state of SC's teams - I also find it worthy to note that South Carolina is in a 2 year drought after having at least one team from the state qualify for every NCAA Tournament from 1996-2011.

Well, the drought is officially over...the winner of tomorrow's Big South Championship Game between Winthrop and Coastal Carolina will make sure of that.

bYhYmxh.png

Eastern Kentucky is our second team to punch its ticket to the Big Dance...after their 79-73 victory over Belmont, they're in their eighth overall Big Dance (and first since 2007).

They have never won a tournament game though...could this be the first time they do? We shall see...

bYhYmxh.png

Since the matchups are set, I'll give you guys an early preview to what Sunday brings and that is three automatic bids.

Big South

South #4 Winthrop Eagles at South #1 Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

Records

WIN: 20-12 (10-6)

CCU: 20-12 (11-5)

'Those who failed to learn from history are doomed to repeat it'... That saying can be a fair way of looking at how the Big South tourny has gone as Winthrop has done what Liberty did a season ago: win 3 games in 4 days to reach the final, but it wasn't without a fight as the Eagles, after dispatching the same Liberty squad in the 1st Round, needed a buzzer beating 3 to upset top seed High Point and a strong late game defensive effort to hold off UNC Asheville. Now, only one team stands in the way of the Eagles' return to the top of the Big South. The host team, Coastal Carolina. The Chants have been here before and have been taken down by Winthrop as well at this point. Do the Chants have what it takes to win on their home floor or are they doomed to repeat their pained history against Winthrop?

Atlantic Sun

#2 Mercer Bears at #1 Florida Gulf Coast Eagles

Records:

MER: 23-8 (14-4)

FGCU: 20-11 (14-4)

Last season, the Eagles of Florida Gulf Coast made a huge splash by winning the A-Sun tourny on Mercer's home floor. That moment became the launch point of what became 'Dunk City', the high flying Cinderella story of the first weekend of March Madness. FGCU has not lost a beat despite losing their coach and some of the key players from last year's team. Now, the roles are reversed. This time, it's Mercer who is on FGCU's home court. Can Mercer extract some revenge in their A-Sun swan song or will the nation bear witness to 'Dunk City' once again?

Missouri Valley - St. Louis, MO

#2 Indiana State Sycamores vs. #1 Wichita State Shockers

Records

IN ST: 22-9 (12-6)

WICH: 33-0 (18-0)

The other Cinderella story from last season was Wichita State and their run to the Final Four. The momentum from that run has turned the Shockers into a legitimate juggernaut as they have an undefeated record heading into the conference finals as they look to become the first team to head into March Madness unbeaten since the 1991 UNLV Rebels went 34-0. The challenge of stopping this beast falls in the hands of Indiana State, who did give the Shockers a close game in their meeting at Terre Haute. But, that was then... can the Sycamores do the impossible?

WOW! In an OT thriller, Milwaukee upset Green Bay 73-66...that means Milwaukee plays Wright State for the Horizon League title on Tuesday in Dayton...and Green Bay's most likely going to the NIT (their at-large resume is not looking very impressive).

This is why they call it March Madness, people!

bYhYmxh.png

OK, we have a WTF result out of the PAC. Washington State beats up UCLA 73-55, 2 days after losing to just as wretched USC by 11. Bruins Nation is probably having nervous breakdowns now.

And yeah, Oregon probably punched their ticket beating AZ today. :(

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Since the matchups are set, I'll give you guys an early preview to what Sunday brings and that is three automatic bids.

Big South

South #4 Winthrop Eagles at South #1 Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

Records

WIN: 20-12 (10-6)

CCU: 20-12 (11-5)

'Those who failed to learn from history are doomed to repeat it'... That saying can be a fair way of looking at how the Big South tourny has gone as Winthrop has done what Liberty did a season ago: win 3 games in 4 days to reach the final, but it wasn't without a fight as the Eagles, after dispatching the same Liberty squad in the 1st Round, needed a buzzer beating 3 to upset top seed High Point and a strong late game defensive effort to hold off UNC Asheville. Now, only one team stands in the way of the Eagles' return to the top of the Big South. The host team, Coastal Carolina. The Chants have been here before and have been taken down by Winthrop as well at this point. Do the Chants have what it takes to win on their home floor or are they doomed to repeat their pained history against Winthrop?

:D

The last time Winthrop and Coastal played in the Big South final... well... it was a good day to be me.

nets_zps7e6f06fb.jpg

I'll be driving down tomorrow. Noon ET on ESPN2 if anybody wants to witness a possible sc49erfan15 court rushing!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

WOW! In an OT thriller, Milwaukee upset Green Bay 73-66...that means Milwaukee plays Wright State for the Horizon League title on Tuesday in Dayton...and Green Bay's most likely going to the NIT (their at-large resume is not looking very impressive).

This is why they call it March Madness, people!

As frustrating this season has been, I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Milwaukee is 40 minutes away from going dancing; especially when we were picked to finish last in the Horizon.

Can't count my chickens before they hatch, though... last time we were in Dayton, it didn't go so well for us.

Does anyone know what the rule is now regarding first-round tournament sites and home court advantage... like, say, if Buffalo wins the MAC Tournament, would they be allowed to play at the First Niagara Center, or would the selection committee try to avoid that?

Does anyone know what the rule is now regarding first-round tournament sites and home court advantage... like, say, if Buffalo wins the MAC Tournament, would they be allowed to play at the First Niagara Center, or would the selection committee try to avoid that?

If you play four of more regular season games at a venue, your cannot play there if it is a tournament site.

Plus, they've gone on record to say that Dayton, if chosen, could play in the Opening Round games at home.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10528317&src=desktop&wjb

Yeah, like I remember that Villanova has played tourney games at the Wells Fargo Center before, like in 06, Arizona had to get them in the 2nd round(plus in 09 UCLA drew them in the 2nd round also).

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Winthrop is wearing the Atlanta Hawks template? I don't know if I've ever seen an NBA team's uniform floating around the college ranks.

It's nothing new. Adidas seems to have licensed out the current Heat, Lakers, and Hawks uniforms/fonts to colleges this year:

kCnnUMV.jpg

VyPH4HO.png

yWUoS9O.jpg

But teams have worn ripoffs of NBA uniforms before, too.

nrOmqP3.jpg

(Fordham - ripoff of the TMac-era Magic)

Y2ACraE.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived