Gray Facemask Collection

Dedalvs

Noudor is going to bust a gasket

i have a problem with the OP's definition of "inappropriate grey face mask". focusing on only the aesthetic (color palette) is completely missing the point of why the Colts, Browns, Bills, even Giants have a gray mask. its about what a gray mask means, the history of the game, the era it takes your mind to. they wear those traditional designs with a gray mask and black cleats to complete the "old school" look. to ignore the gray mask would be to ignore a very important detail in that. for those teams, a gray mask is the only appropriate choice.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being the self-proclaimed hater of gray facemasks on the forum I have to comment on this thread.

First off, the Giants uniform has gray in it and their facemask should be pulled out of the list. Second, the same can be said for the Raiders and Cowboys as they use silver and it is close enough to gray. Now that leaves us with the following teams and I hate everyone of their facemasks; I have included concepts and actually helmets with the correct color facemasks for each helmet in my opinion.

Arizona

The Cardinals are the oldest football in the league and they have always wore a gray facemask to the best of my knowledge. However, when they moved to the current uniform template, I thought that would have been the best opportunity to make a change to a red or black facemask as it would have looked 100x better with their set. But I believe I read somewhere that the owners wanted to keep the gray facemask for historical purposes and I understand that, but I still think it makes the whole set ugly.

Concept:

Cardinalsjpeg.jpg

Buffalo

The Bills dropped the ball bad on their latest uniform change as the jersey and pants (blue) are wonderful looks for the team, but yet they had to use the gray facemask instead of the blue one they wore in the 70s. I personally believe this is the 3rd worse look out of all the teams listed as the team had a great template to use, but failed to execute.

2112.jpg

Cleveland

I grew up a Browns fan and during that time they wore a white facemask and it just makes the helmet "pop" in my opinion as it brings an extra flare to the helmet. The gray facemask just says "dull" to me and does not add anything to a classic helment. Hopefully, when the new uniform is released, the helmet shell will remain the same, but they go with either a white or brown facemask.

Cleveland_Browns_Bernie_Kosar_Autographe

Indianapolis

The Colts are is a similar position as the rest of the teams on this list as they had a great looking helmet at one time but chose to ruin it by adding the gray facemask. The white helmet with blue facemask looked great today and the gray just sticks out like a sore thumb.

P_FT_H_F_RP_TB_Colts95-03.jpg

San Francisco

There is no helmet with a gray facemask that I hate more than the 49ers! When they updated their uniform a few years ago, they made a major miscalculation by not leaving the facemask red and that make that helmet "pop" and standout, but instead they chose to be like the Browns and "dull" up their helmet.

nat-713.gif

spacer.png

For all levels of football, grey facemasks appear to be unpainted. They are in essence - if you were explaining this idea to invading space aliens - a primer base for which a color is to be applied next on.

I'm pretty sure you'd be lying to this space alien (and therefore, endangering the entire human race) because, to the best of my knowledge the color of a facemask isn't painted on, it's embedded in the materials. In other words, a red facemask is a metal armature covered with red material and a gray facemask is a metal armature covered with gray material. One is no more a base than the other. (Unless the manufacturing process has changed in the last decade or so... in which case I'm talking out my ass.)

I do LOVE the idea of space aliens invading earth to get an explanation of how football teams choose the color of the helmet's add-on equipment. That would make the universe a more special place.

San Francisco

There is no helmet with a gray facemask that I hate more than the 49ers! When they updated their uniform a few years ago, they made a major miscalculation by not leaving the facemask red and that make that helmet "pop" and standout, but instead they chose to be like the Browns and "dull" up their helmet.

nat-713.gif

There is no uniform set I like more than the 49ers. That 90s "let's darken everything" fad was WAY WORSE than the "gray helmet fad" It's not a fad like navy/burgundy/black for black's sake was. It's a "movement" towards heritage and class (lol)

The 49ers are the prettiest team in the league and a red facemask would seriously F that up.

Long live Cardinals gray masks! I could maybe see white, but they look solid as they are.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I don't mind the gray facemasks on any of them, but I wouldn't be upset if they all changed to a different color.

The Bills in particular could benefit from doing so, since the Pats use silver/gray in their color scheme, and removing all traces of gray from the set would furtherly separate the two colorwise.

Sure the Bills might look OK with a blue mask, same for the Colts. But I do like the gray --- it's traditional and neutral.

Like, how they used to you mean?

ind-99-00-bluewhite-garyirothstein-620x809d307ee8a207e094f78c9edc69404d4.jpg

bufg.png

I don't mind the gray facemasks on any of them, but I wouldn't be upset if they all changed to a different color.

The Bills in particular could benefit from doing so, since the Pats use silver/gray in their color scheme, and removing all traces of gray from the set would furtherly separate the two colorwise.

Sure the Bills might look OK with a blue mask, same for the Colts. But I do like the gray --- it's traditional and neutral.

ind-99-00-bluewhite-garyirothstein-620x809d307ee8a207e094f78c9edc69404d4.jpg

DUH! I knew they had those. Just chose not to show HUGE pics.

BUT, seeing them, I re-assert my devotion to gray facemasks. Blue looks silly on both.

th_OaklandRaiders_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB

The intent is for the Raiders' mask to match the helmet...doesn't work in reality, since the Silver-Blue they use (they really do use a Silver-Blue paint) doesn't match the flat Gray of the masks...

It's suppose to be silver-blue?! Wow, I guess I was right when I realized the throwback they used in 2009 seemed to be a different shade than the current helmet.

Also, I think the Colts and Browns should have white facemasks.

bSLCtu2.png

Just chose not to show HUGE pics.

Thems is fightin' words, friend.

Go big or go home.

bufg.png

i think every team should have a gray facemask

I think that's the worst idea ever.

You can't possibly think gray looks better on every team.

42668763.jpg49-12586-Y.jpg

ycqixvckbx2dpwu85212.gif1065.gif

I agree with Goth... Washington looks so obviously better to me with the gray, it made me double check your post to see what your original point was. Washington has needed to do something about that dopey banana yellow 70's disco mask for 30 years. Burgundy would probably be the most obvious choice, but in the pictures above, gray is such an upgrade over the current look I'd just run with it.

Here's my personal opinion on the helmet/facemask issue...

Arizona: White/Cardinal Red

Atlanta: Red/Black

Baltimore: Black/Black

Buffalo: Red/Royal

Carolina: Silver/Black

Chicago: Navy/Navy

Cincinnati: Orange/Black

Cleveland: Orange/White

Dallas: Blue-Silver/Navy

Denver: Royal/White

Detroit: Silver/Navy

Green Bay: Gold/Forest Green

Houston: Navy/Navy

Indianapolis: White/Colt Blue

Jacksonville: Black/Black

Kansas City: Red/Yellow

Miami: White/Aqua

Minnesota: Purple/Purple

New England: White/Red

New Orleans: Gold/Black

NY Giants: Blue/White

NY Jets: Kelly Green/Dark Green

Oakland: Silver/Black

Philadelphia: Kelly Green/Charcoal

Pittsburgh: Black/Steel Gray

San Diego: Navy/Yellow

San Francisco: Gold/Red

Seattle: Silver/Navy

St Louis: Navy/Yellow

Tampa Bay: White/Orange

Tennessee: White/Red

Washington: Maroon/Deep Gold

My own personal rule (I'll say it again) is that the facemask should either be the same color as the helmet - underlying the fact that a helmet facemask is part of the helmet, not an add-on to the helmet, or aesthetically - a darker color than the shell.

And I hate Yellow. Nobody should use Yellow/Athletic Gold masks.

after seeing some more images and marinating a bit, here 's my list of grey mask wearing teams and what they SHOULD be wearing. (raiders/ cowboys not included)

Cardinals - white helmet, white mask

Browns - orange helmet, white mask

Giants - blue helmet, grey mask

Bills - white helmet, blue mask

Colts - white helmet, grey mask

49ers - gold helmet, red mask

also, we wore athletic gold masks in high school on kelly green shells, and I thought they looked great. I played at Summerville(SC) for the winning coach in football history, John McKissick. I don't know how to post photos on here from my phone, but the helmet is easy to Google. you'll probably find a photo of AJ Green (yes, I was fortunate enough to have played with him, and even threw him a touchdown pass *my claim to fame lol*), but long story short, I like both grey and athletic gold masks when used properly.

Archived