Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

Agreed - you need at the very least to report that to a teacher, guidance counselor, some adult at the school you trust.

Let them investigate and deal appropriately with the student. Even if he's only joking, his fellow students don't deserve being subjected to it.

Please - do it tomorrow.

Now that we have the important stuff out of the way, I think he shows exactly why you can't just thought-swap the situation and say prominent gay people shouldn't come out because of anything you as a straight person feels. Your bullying classmate shows exactly why they should - knowledge and experience is the only cure for ignorance, and it has been demonstrated that homophobia is diminished by awareness of and contact with gay people. It's harder to be a bigot when gay people are your friends, family members, heroes and role models and not just some abstracted Other.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any comment on my classmate, because, quite frankly, it bothers me to talk about it.

As for 'coming out', I don't, haven't ever, and will not ever believe or say that they should hide their sexuality. I'm not saying this is what you interpreted, but to be honest, I'm not sure if I made myself clear myself.

So I'm just going to make myself absolutely crystal clear: I don't think they should have to come out. That's what equality is. I don't come out as a straight guy, neither should any gay, or any other type of sexuality. No announcements, but no hiding it, either. Know what I'm saying?

So basically you're saying that you want us to exist in a society where coming out is no longer necessary because we see nothing abnormal about being gay.

Well, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, we are a long way from that as a society. No society has reached that point as a whole.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Why? Why does anyone need to come out and say they are gay? I don't need to know your gay. My stepbrother is gay and him and his partner have never come out to the family and said they were gay. I once asked him, "why don't you tell people your gay" and his response was simply, "it is nobody's business what I am or what I do" and I had more respect for him then because he is right....it is not anyone's business.

spacer.png

You may wish to go back and read the last couple pages. Or I could just copy-and-paste the response to the last several times this question was asked.

Seriously, I'm very impressed that your stepbrother managed to introduce his partner to your family without anyone realizing that he's gay. ;)

People come out in all kinds of ways; private people do it privately, public figures do it publicly. Why did Tom Brady have to rub his heterosexuality in my face with all those press releases about his straight wedding?

You may wish to go back and read the last couple pages. Or I could just copy-and-paste the response to the last several times this question was asked.

Seriously, I'm very impressed that your stepbrother managed to introduce his partner to your family without anyone realizing that he's gay. ;)

People come out in all kinds of ways; private people do it privately, public figures do it publicly. Why did Tom Brady have to rub his heterosexuality in my face with all those press releases about his straight wedding?

Everyone knows that he they are gay...but we don't talk about it as a family because we are all against it due to our Christian beliefs...but we love him regardless. As for Tom Brady, he did not rub anything in your face as a wedding between a man and a woman has been the norm for a few thousand years and it will continue to be for many more for people who believe. As far as reading the last few pages, it does not matter what people say, I still believe that this is a private matter for family and friends only.

spacer.png

I keep trying to figure out how to respond to the asinine things you've said in your posts on this thread... but I just can't conceive of a way to break through the bubble. You (and others like you) are the reason this is important.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I keep trying to figure out how to respond to the asinine things you've said in your posts on this thread... but I just can't conceive of a way to break through the bubble. You (and others like you) are the reason this is important.

Nice hit and run job there.

Look, if you can find fault in what he said, bring out your arguments against it. Otherwise, you sound like someone who simply doesn't want to hear differing opinions.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

Look, if you can find fault in what he said, bring out your arguments against it. Otherwise, you sound like someone who simply doesn't want to hear differing opinions.

And you get hacked off at Los Angeles Rams fans booing....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

His "questions" have already been answered on this thread; if he's unwilling to go back and read them, I feel no reason to re-hash things.

You'll also have to indulge me a bit, as I find the idea that I'm something someone can be against a bit disgusting and infuriating; I take it a bit personally, even. But as I try to retain some facade of being reasonable around here, I'm not unloading.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think it's not that big of a deal for heterosexual relationships to show off themselves is because regardless of where you stand on gay rights, the vast majority of people are straight, and like seeing the likes of Katharine Webb, etc, instead of guys.

Maybe the Niners can get this guy, him and Aldon Smith could be the Mizzou terrors off the edge attacking quarterbacks.(Provided he proves himself at the next level)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Well Mockba did a great job addressing nuordr's nonsense, but I'll just add my two cents on the matter.

Do you expect an African American to "respect the differing opinions" of a Klan member? No. So why should you expect members of the LGBT community to respect the differing opinions of homophobes?

Or if you want that summed up into one nice little quotable piece of text, the bigoted do not deserve tolerance.

Imagine you are a closeted gay high school football player. Until this week, you might have thought you'd have to hide your sexuality in order to play major college football or in the NFL. Maybe now that you've heard Sam's story and how supportive his teammates and coaches were, you'd be comfortable enough to come out to your teammates, or at least to not go out of your way to hide your sexuality anymore.

And you get hacked off at Los Angeles Rams fans booing....

i got hacked off at Los Angeles Rams booing a receiver for dropping a pass when the Rams were ahead by 24.

Well Mockba did a great job addressing nuordr's nonsense, but I'll just add my two cents on the matter.

Do you expect an African American to "respect the differing opinions" of a Klan member? No. So why should you expect members of the LGBT community to respect the differing opinions of homophobes?

Or if you want that summed up into one nice little quotable piece of text, the bigoted do not deserve tolerance.

He didn't address what nuordr said.In fact, he did the opposite. He said "I keep trying to figure out how to respond to the asinine things you've said in your posts on this thread... but I just can't conceive of a way to break through the bubble. " How does that address anything?

Nuordr didn't say he's afraid of homosexuals, did he? Did he say he dislikes them? No, in fact he said he loves his stepbrother, even though he thinks that gay sex is wrong. Or are you one of those who say that it's not possible to respect someone unless you condone everything he does?

You'll also have to indulge me a bit, as I find the idea that I'm something someone can be against a bit disgusting and infuriating; I take it a bit personally, even.

The man said that he believes being gay is wrong. He didn't say he's against you. Just because he may not agree with everything you do doesn't mean he's against you.

You don't need to take it personally. No one among us is going to please everyone. Lots of people oppose me and I don't give a rip. The liberal pro-choicers oppose me because I'm against abortion. Many conservatives oppose me because I am against the death penalty and think that there should be tighter restrictions on big oil.

I'm very happy for Michael Sam and the fact he felt comfortable enough to come out to the world. Thankfully our society is at a point where people actually feel they can say who they are and realize the ridicule they might receive doesn't come close to their happiness. Sam is an example that this "non-issue" has no impact on who he is on the field and what he can accomplish. By coming out, he is an example for those younger than him and even those older than him who might fear the repercussions of doing so.

My only issue is ESPN and not because they're talking about it. ESPN should be talking about it because this is a big deal, but the commentary that ESPN makes on big issues is ridiculous and comes off like they're mocking whomever they're talking about.

I also hope that people realize that just because their family thinks a certain way, doesn't mean you have to think the same way. I loved my grandpa to death, he was my best friend, and he taught me plenty of life lessons. The most important lesson he taught me was to not be a bigot like him. My grandfather basically came from the same mold of Phil Robertson. The only twos differences were my Grandpa was from Shreveport and he stood about 5'5. I don't fault my grandfather because I understand he was a product of his society, but it's important to know that just because you love someone, doesn't always make them right. You learn to take the best traits from the people you love and better yourself by not conforming to their negative ideas.

You'll also have to indulge me a bit, as I find the idea that I'm something someone can be against a bit disgusting and infuriating; I take it a bit personally, even.

The man said that he believes being gay is wrong. He didn't say he's against you. Just because he may not agree with everything you do doesn't mean he's against you.

Silly Mockba. He's not against you, just what you are. Why on earth would you take his prejudice against you and make it personal?

Archived