The NBA is like a cone of learned helplessness. As an NBA general manager, you ultimately realize your team will never amount to anything and send your players right down to the bottom of the cone, where they all end up together for the teams that do matter: teams like the Heat, the Lakers, and get this, Billy, the Celtics.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't watch college basketball, so I have no idea what to think about the Shabazz Napier trade, but this reaction to it gave me all the joy I need:

785856685392668080.gif

"I'm tired of teams helping Miami. They've been helping them for the last four years. Enough."

I have no idea to what help he's referring, but I guess I can't understand the mind of a person that sees everything through the prism of Boston.

Charlotte drafted Shabazz Napier & traded him to Miami for PJ Hairston. It was a brilliant move by Rich Cho.

Charlotte had the #24 pick & Miami was at #26. Houston was at #25 & wouldn't have drafted Napier regardless, they drafted an international player to leave overseas. They are clearing cap space to make a run at Melo & don't want to add a 1st Rd salary this season.

Charlotte wanted Hairston all along. Miami wanted Napier, & would've gotten him regardless anyway. Charlotte didn't "help" Miami like Simmons said. They would've gotten him anyway.

Cho picked Napier then traded him to Miami for Hairston (#26) as well as #55 tonight & a future 2nd Rd pick. He got 2 free 2nd Rders out of Pat Riley.

Cho also sent the #45 pick & Brendan Haywood to Cleveland in a salary clearing move that frees up over $3mil in cap space. Charlotte will have around $20mil in cap space.

Charlotte-

#9 Vonleh (top 5-7 talent)

#26 Hairston (lottery talent)

future 2nd

traded 2nd & reserve player to free $3mil

Gonna be a fun summer seeing which players Charlotte goes after. I bet they make a hard push to sign Lance Stephenson. They'll probably trade Henderson, too. If Houston true getting rid of Harden to make room for Memo/James, they'll be in the mix. Jordan tried getting him from OKC.

Charlotte should have a top 3-4 team in the East this year.

Walker/???

Stephenson/Hairston

Kidd-Gilchrist/???

Zeller/Vonleh

Jefferson/Biyombo

Amazing turnaround by Jordan.

The NBA is like a cone of learned helplessness. As an NBA general manager, you ultimately realize your team will never amount to anything and send your players right down to the bottom of the cone, where they all end up together for the teams that do matter: teams like the Heat, the Lakers, and get this, Billy, the Celtics.

Here's his column about the KG trade in 2007. Laughably lopsided trade that wouldn't have happened if the T'Wolves GM wasn't Kevin McHale? Who cares, the Celtics are relevant again!!!! Trading #24 for #26, 55, and a future second rounder? A travesty.

Bill Simmons is a great writer and all, but good gosh is he a crazed homer. He doesn't belong on television.

Sports are all about entertainment. I personally find Bill Simmons very entertaining. Some of the stuff he says is hilarious.

He's good on his podcast and column. He takes a shot at my team any time the chance presents itself, but it's entertaining otherwise. He really is bad at TV – constantly interjecting, changing the subject, interrupting Rose and Collins, emotional reactions, and homerism that's out of place on a national broadcast.

PJU85JF.png

I don't like the Wiggins pick by the Cavs. There is a real chance he won't be an impact player until after his rookie contract is over. That's a scary thought.

Its clear that Dan Gilbert got his way... which is a scarier thought than drafting Wiggins. I don't a like an Owner who meddles in basketball personnel. The basketball decisions should be made by basketball people... not the guy who signs the checks. I hope I am wrong, but I just can't draft a guy who has no left hand, takes plays off, thin frame, no jump shot, slow to get his jump shot off, etc. etc... at least not when someone like Parker is on the board.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Here's his column about the KG trade in 2007. Laughably lopsided trade that wouldn't have happened if the T'Wolves GM wasn't Kevin McHale? Who cares, the Celtics are relevant again!!!! Trading #24 for #26, 55, and a future second rounder? A travesty.

How valuable are these 2nd-round draft picks, really? Especially those that are late in the second round. It seems like a lot of teams waste these picks on European players that won't come to the NBA any time soon.

I don't mind the pick for the Clips but they really could've used a big. Hmm...

Absolutely hate this pick. We now have five shooting guards and still no decent small forwards. I really wanted Kyle Anderson, so of course he goes to the Spurs to :censored: on the Clippers for years to come.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Dear Timberwolves: When drafting someone, please do some research as to whether he will be suicidal if drafted by the Timberwolves.

Zach LaVine's reaction was embarrassing. You're getting drafted into the NBA, in the first round! No reason to act like a baby about it. Especially when a guy like Isaiah Austin was in tears because his basketball career was over and will never get the chance.

I don't mind the pick for the Clips but they really could've used a big. Hmm...

Absolutely hate this pick. We now have five shooting guards and still no decent small forwards. I really wanted Kyle Anderson, so of course he goes to the Spurs to :censored: on the Clippers for years to come.
Yeah it wasn't an impressive showing by Doc and company.

What I feel about the Raptors pick:

Bruno Caboclo is the Giannis Antetokounmpo of the draft. He is a mix of a few players (Peja/Gallo/Ginobli come to mind for me via videos) and I think he'll be more ready then people think. I feel like he'll need to adapt, but if he can do that in the Summer League and Training Camp, he may get a good shot here. I can't wait to see him play and maybe he'll end the year starting or as our 6th/7th man.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

DeAndre Kane, Patric Young, Jahii Carson, Sean Kilpatrick, and Melvin Ejim don't get drafted, but Markel Brown does? I don't get it.

Kane and Ejim were numbers 79 and 80 on the Draft Express Top 100.

Heck, James Michael McAdoo was going to be a Lottery Pick had he left after his Freshman season, would have been drafted in the 1st Round last year and stayed for a third season and went undrafted.

DeAndre Kane, Patric Young, Jahii Carson, Sean Kilpatrick, and Melvin Ejim don't get drafted, but Markel Brown does? I don't get it.

Kane and Ejim were numbers 79 and 80 on the Draft Express Top 100.

Heck, James Michael McAdoo was going to be a Lottery Pick had he left after his Freshman season, would have been drafted in the 1st Round last year and stayed for a third season and went undrafted.

Which is ridiculous. DeAndre Kane might be 25 but he's better than guys that are on NBA rosters. What more can Melvin Ejim do? And Sean Kilpatrick was an All-American.

How valuable are these 2nd-round draft picks, really? Especially those that are late in the second round. It seems like a lot of teams waste these picks on European players that won't come to the NBA any time soon.

Barely valuable at all. In most years, it can be hard to find value after the lottery picks. Second rounders' contracts aren't guaranteed and they probably won't ever play. There's an analysis here. Most likely results are deep bench, bust, and never played. Those results are pretty similar for the 24th and 26th picks, though.

Rich Cho/Michael Jordan must have thought 2 second rounders were worth two draft spots. I was surprised by how well known the Heat's preference for Napier became and even more surprised that some team didn't just take him to keep him from them. Are the Hornets better off with PJ Hairston, Semaj Criston, and a 2019 second rounder or Shabazz Napier and James being pissed at the Heat for not getting the player he wanted? I'd say the latter, but maybe teams don't think that way.

Also, it's cool to see how excited Jabari Parker is to play in Milwaukee.

PJU85JF.png

Barely valuable at all. In most years, it can be hard to find value after the lottery picks. Second rounders' contracts aren't guaranteed and they probably won't ever play. There's an analysis here. Most likely results are deep bench, bust, and never played. Those results are pretty similar for the 24th and 26th picks, though.

Rich Cho/Michael Jordan must have thought 2 second rounders were worth two draft spots. I was surprised by how well known the Heat's preference for Napier became and even more surprised that some team didn't just take him to keep him from them. Are the Hornets better off with PJ Hairston, Semaj Criston, and a 2019 second rounder or Shabazz Napier and James being pissed at the Heat for not getting the player he wanted? I'd say the latter, but maybe teams don't think that way.

Also, it's cool to see how excited Jabari Parker is to play in Milwaukee.

Looking back at it, the Heat probably could've gotten Napier without giving anything up. Only the Rockets were in between the picks, and I don't think they needed Shabazz. Then again, most of the Heat's players were free agents at a time or so. Those picks probably weren't needed for them.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived