NFL: All-Time Face of the Franchise

worcat

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any players on here that deserve to be the face of two franchises? I can't seem to think of anybody in any sport that has been able to pull that off.

I would say no. The NFL has too many players at too many positions. A player would have to have an exceptionally long career and split time between two teams, while being a legendary player during both stints. The nature of the NFL makes both of those things difficult to accomplish.

The only sport where I can see this working is the NBA, and the only two players who I think could qualify are Wilt Chamberlain and LeBron, and both would be difficult arguments.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Fred Taylor is far more recognizable as the face of the Jaguars franchise than either Maurice Jones-Drew or Mark Brunell. Both are good choices, I'd pick MoJo over Mark though, but Fred Taylor WAS the Jaguars for the longest time. Jimmy Smith would also be a top choice.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Arizona- Larry Fitzgerald

Atlanta- Deion Sanders

Baltimore- Ray Lewis

Buffalo- Jim Kelly (Marv Levy)

Carolina- Steve Smith

Chicago- Dick Butkus (Mike Ditka)

Cincinnati- Boomer Esiason

Cleveland- Jim Brown

Dallas- Roger Staubach (Tom Landry)

Denver- John Elway

Detroit- Barry Sanders

Green Bay- Brett Favre (Vince Lombardi)

Houston- Andre Johnson

Indianapolis- Peyton Manning

Jacksonville- Maurice Jones-Drew

Kansas City- Len Dawson (Hank Stram)

Miami- Dan Marino (Don Shula)

Minnesota- Fran Tarkenton (Bud Grant)

New England- Tom Brady (Bill Belichick)

New Orleans- Drew Brees

NY Giants- Lawrence Taylor

NY Jets- Joe Namath

Oakland- Ken Stabler (Al Davis)

Philadelphia- Chuck Bednarik

Pittsburgh- Jack Lambert (Chuck Noll)

St. Louis- Kurt Warner

San Diego- Dan Fouts

San Francisco- Jerry Rice

Seattle- Steve Largent

Tampa Bay- Warren Sapp

Tennessee- Warren Moon

Washington- Art Monk (Joe Gibbs)

Included in parentheses are non-players who may be candidates to be the face of the franchise

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

Arizona- Larry Fitzgerald

Atlanta- Deion Sanders

Baltimore- Ray Lewis

Buffalo- Jim Kelly

Carolina- Steve Smith

Chicago- Mike Ditka

Cincinnati- Anthony Munoz

Cleveland- Bernie Kosar

Dallas- Roger Staubach

Denver- John Elway

Detroit- Barry Sanders

Green Bay- Bart Starr

Houston- Andre Johnson

Indianapolis- Peyton Manning

Jacksonville- Mark Brunell

Kansas City- Len Dawson

Miami- Dan Marino

Minnesota- Fran Tarkenton

New England- Tom Brady

New Orleans- Drew Brees

NY Giants- Lawrence Taylor

NY Jets- Joe Namath

Oakland- Ken Stabler

Philadelphia- Chuck Bednarik

Pittsburgh- Joe Greene

St. Louis- Kurt Warner

San Diego- Dan Fouts

San Francisco- Joe Montana

Seattle- Steve Largent

Tampa Bay- Warren Sapp

Tennessee- Steve McNair

Washington- Sammy Baugh

reggie white?

It's hard to say Reggie for either Philadelphia or Green Bay. Because Reggie would go up against Bednarik (Eagles) and Faver, er Favre (Packers).

MAYBE Reggie could be the face of the Green Bay Packers, but I don't think he could be the face of the Philadelphia Eagles.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

For the Bucs, I notice a lot of people putting Sapp, he was certainly popular during his time here but it has to be Lee Roy Selmon. No question. Their first draft pick, hall of famer, and best player for years and years. He was also an active part of the community after retirement, helped start the USF football program and has a highway named after him in town, etc. He meant a lot to the town and organization and I think is certainly the face of the franchise.

niagaraq.png

reggie white?

It's hard to say Reggie for either Philadelphia or Green Bay. Because Reggie would go up against Bednarik (Eagles) and Faver, er Favre (Packers).

MAYBE Reggie could be the face of the Green Bay Packers, but I don't think he could be the face of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Is Favre even the face of the Packers? Bart Starr maybe? Ray Nitschke? Reggie White is 3rd at best, probably 4th.

For the Eagles, I see no argument for him to be #1. He's #2 at best, and I can see valid arguments for a couple to be above him for that slot too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sapp is definitely not the all-time face of the franchise. In fact, most people living around here think that Sapp is a complete tool. Sure, good football player, but total :censored: "Hollywood" kinda guy to Bucs fans.

I would say either Lee-Roy Selmon or Alstott. Both are significant members around the community still and were held to the highest regard during their time here. I would say that Ronde Barber could also be thrown on the list in a close 3rd.

Sapp is definitely not the all-time face of the franchise. In fact, most people living around here think that Sapp is a complete tool. Sure, good football player, but total :censored: "Hollywood" kinda guy to Bucs fans.

I would say either Lee-Roy Selmon or Alstott. Both are significant members around the community still and were held to the highest regard during their time here. I would say that Ronde Barber could also be thrown on the list in a close 3rd.

LeeRoy Selmon and Derrick Brooks are the two, clear options. Their next best overall player in franchise history was only an AP All-Pro twice and got little acclaim, but was overwhelmingly the best player on a series of awful teams and would have started for nearly every other team at the time, LT Paul Gruber.

Cardinals: Dan Dierdorf

Falcons: Either Jeff van Note, Mike Kenn or Claude Humphrey

Bengals: Anthony Muñoz

Browns: Jim Brown

Eagles: Norm van Brocklin

Titans: Steve McNair

Texans: J.J. Watt

Houston Oilers: Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, Ray Childress or George Blanda

Baltimore Colts: Johnny Unitas

Indianapolis Colts: Peyton Manning

Broncos: John Elway

Jaguars: Mark Brunell

Panthers: Sam Mills

Chargers: Either Lance Alworth, Dan Fouts, Junior Seau or LaDanian Tomlinson

Rams: Deacon Jones

49ers: Jerry Rice

Cowboys: Roger Staubach

Steelers: Mean Joe Greene

Bills: Bruce Smith

Dolphins: Dan Marino

Buccaneers: Derrick Brooks

Lions: Barry Sanders

Packers: Bart Starr

Jets: Joe Namath

Chiefs: Derrick Thomas

Raiders: Art Shell

Patriots: Tom Brady

Saints: Archie Manning

Giants: Either YA Tittle, Phil Simms, Lawrence Taylor or Michael Strahan

Skins: Sammy Baugh

Seahawks: Either Steve Largent, Cortez Kennedy or Walter Jones

Vikings: Fran Tarkenton

Bears: Either Mike Ditka, Dick Butkus or Walter Payton

I know it kind of defeats the point of the exercise, but the face of the Raiders has to be Al Davis

Oh, no doubt. And anyone putting Payton over Ditka is missing something. Payton was the best running back the team ever had, but the extent to which Mike Ditka is synonymous with the Chicago Bears is so enormous as to be a problem for Chicago and the Bears.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

reggie white?

Is Favre even the face of the Packers? Bart Starr maybe? Ray Nitschke? Reggie White is 3rd at best, probably 4th.

For the Eagles, I see no argument for him to be #1. He's #2 at best, and I can see valid arguments for a couple to be above him for that slot too.

The Packers are a tough one... not only are there so many different generations of dynasties from which to choose from, but so many of the best Packers left the organization under dubious circumstances (Lambeau, Lombardi, Starr, Reggie, Favre).

For my 1/50th of a dollar, all the drama Brett Favre pulled on his way out prevents me from seeing him as the true face of the Packers. If I had to choose a player, it'd probably be Ray Nitschke or Donald Driver; but I think Vince Lombardi would be the only choice that all Packers fans would be okay with.

Archived