Murray State unveils new logo set

RevNet

small_logoarray.jpg

A gallery of the logo set is here. The story about these logos is linked here, courtesy of the official Racers athletic website:

Murray State University unveiled an updated athletic identity and branding initiatives, highlighted by a primary logo that will be very familiar to Racer fans, but noticeably fine-tuned and user-friendly across a wide variety of platforms and applications. In addition, the university is introducing a number of secondary marks and a unique typography that will allow the athletic brand to grow and capitalize on the popularity of the Racers.

"I'm very excited about the new marks and the enhancement to the primary mark," said Allen Ward, director of athletics. "There's been a need for a long time to develop additional secondary marks and a consistent typography. During a time where revenue generation and budget efficiencies are imperative for the university and department, this initiative allows us to address both aggressively."

The marks were designed by nationally recognized firm Joe Bosack and Co., which has created sports logos for Boise State, Xavier, Houston, the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Southeastern Conference and many more high profile clients.

"We are thrilled to be engaged with Murray State's leadership on the expansion of its athletics brand assets," said Joe Bosack, founder and creative director of the company. "The updated primary logo, supported by a complete identity system, embody the proud history of the Murray State Racers as well as the values and aspirations of today's teams and athletes."

Old logo:

MurrayStateRacers.png

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

Overall, these are nice. My only complaint is Checkered M, but it's still nice. I think it's because the checkers are not symmetrical. Heck, they could've just went with the diamond one and ditched the other. My favorite of the bunch is the one with the racer in the yellow horseshoe. Very solid brand all around.

Why are most college rebrands these days miles ahead of professional rebrands? (Tampa Bay, JAX, Brooklyn, I'm looking at you guys)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I'm not a fan of this. At first glance, it looks like they barely changed anything, although the bottom left one is cool. I was really hoping they'd get away from the jockey and horse in front of the M. They have to be shrunk down so much that it looks crowded. The value on the horse's face doesn't match the rest of its body or the jockey's face (the light source is on the left, except on the horse's face, it's straight on or straight above), and it's really bugging me. Still, this is an upgrade, and it'll be interesting to see how they use these on uniforms, especially with all the secondary logos.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

Jockey should have goggles, thus the shadow wouldn't be triangular. It's a decent update, not overwhelming. I don't like how the highlight blends with the yellow m. I'd probably go checker m and put white boxes as close to that left leg as possible

I'm not a fan of this. At first glance, it looks like they barely changed anything, although the bottom left one is cool. I was really hoping they'd get away from the jockey and horse in front of the M. They have to be shrunk down so much that it looks crowded. The value on the horse's face doesn't match the rest of its body or the jockey's face (the light source is on the left, except on the horse's face, it's straight on or straight above), and it's really bugging me. Still, this is an upgrade, and it'll be interesting to see how they use these on uniforms, especially with all the secondary logos.

I see it more as a mask (or whatever race horses wear) rather than the light source. Doesn't make the shading right, but better than what you're seeing I guess.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Now that it's been mentioned, I can't unsee it...the lettering they used looks very much like Marquette's. In spite of that, I like what Murray State did here. Wonder why they couldn't decide between a checker M and a diamond M though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm not sure that the checkered-'M' made it into the official set...I'm putting together a comparison of Marquette's 'M' vs. Murray State's 'M', and the official files only contain the diamond patterned 'M'.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived