nameplates on MLB jerseys ?

Rays

almost all but yanks and sox (i want to see them gone)

NamePLATES, not names. They are a piece of jersey-color fabric onto which the name is sewn before sewing it onto the jersey. And the Yankees are fine without names, but every other team with no name on back looks like hand-me-down high school jerseys. "You're a size XL? You get number 20."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I believe the Indians and the Rays are the only teams still using nameplates. Everybody else stitches the name directly onto the jersey.

Thanks........i wonder what the pro and cons are for the teams ?......and also why teams like the pirates had them for so long and now suddenly don´t use them.

I believe the Indians and the Rays are the only teams still using nameplates. Everybody else stitches the name directly onto the jersey.

Thanks........i wonder what the pro and cons are for the teams ?......and also why teams like the pirates had them for so long and now suddenly don´t use them.

One obvious advantage for nameplates is that it's easier to change the names when the jersey is issued to a new player. There are some old Reds jerseys in circulation from the 70s and early 80s where the names were changed, and it is not hard to see the outline of the previous name and/or numbers. I'm not sure how many (if any) of these second-hand jerseys were issued to major league players, though. I believe some were sent down to the minors.

The advantage of stitching the name directly to the jersey is that it looks MUCH better.

Archived