U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

Semi-tangent.

SI.com still using Sioux logo...

http://www.si.com/game/10408211/box-score

ESPN using interlocking "ND"

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400820686

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fighting Hawks!

Logo design begins immediately, with RFPs, to be decided and unveiled in summer 2016.

Group of stakeholders will select firm for design, another group of stakeholders will work with design group for design.

27,378 voters

15,670 for Fighting Hawks (57.24%)

11,708 for Roughriders (47.76%)

So far they've spent "In the high $200,000s" on deciding on the nickname.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Fighting Hawks!\

Logo design begins immediately, with RFPs, to be decided and unveiled in summer 2016.

Group of stakeholders will select firm for design, another group of stakeholders will work with design group for design.

Funny...when I hit quote, only the first line was showing...

Anyhow, I can live with it but "Fighting Hawks" does not come across as nicely as "Fghting Irish" or "Golden Gophers." I appreciate that putting an adjective in front of the name is "collegiate" but I'd honestly just prefer "Hawks." Then again, once acceptance (of not being Sioux) sets in (maybe these people have not been born yet), they'll just being saying "go Hawks."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This is just so disappointing. I love my alma mater, and I loved the Fighting Sioux. I was more than willing to let it go under the circumstances. But what made it so appealing wasn't the imagery of the Fighting Sioux, but that it was wholly original in the context of college sports. To go from that, to complete vanilla conformity is a real let down.

That said, the right designer can make even the blandest of nicknames feel original. Here's to hoping to they don't mess this part up.

CUG25LYWcAAZyhG.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

A bit disappointing.... but from the choices it could've been worse (looking at you sun dogs). There is the opportunity to take design cues from the Sioux logo and use them in a hawk logo ala the currently rumored (and widely dismissed) Blackhawks logo change.

I went through a logo design nightmare while a student at SDSU (Phoenix Design Works screwed the pooch and the school had an open contest) and I hope they put a lot of effort into the next phase.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

It's over. It's finally over. Minus the bickering and complaints about the new nickname. Then, of course we'll have the new logo which I'm sure will be met with open arms.

I'm really just happy they've decided on a name. I'm excited to see what they come up with for a new logo, I do hope they take their time with it.

qvAvG.jpg

Could be a lot worse. I think the ability to tie it back with the now historical Fighting Sioux moniker may be what pushed the vote in that direction. It's new, non-offensive but is still "Fighting". Silly, probably, but IMO lots of potential if they come up with a good identity and brand package. I also hope they keep the interlocking "ND" as a secondary, I've grown to really like it.

Anyways, I suspect, as with most of these kinds of changes - there will be a certain percentage of people who will be even more loudly outraged now (and are certainly entitled to their opinion)...but a couple decades from now when the 'Hawks are skating to yet another NCAA Frozen Four title, none of the student body proudly clad in green Fighting Hawks gear will really give two craps that this was once a big deal.

Current student here. I did vote for Fighting Hawks, but I'm not in love with the nickname. It was the best of the 5 remaining options. We'll always be the Fighting Sioux. The people and students here are too proud of that name to let the traditions die. At least now I can get a decent looking jersey next fall...

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

It's pretty disappointing, and not even because it replaced Fighting Sioux. They had a ton of good options to choose throughout the process, even Roughriders and Nodaks in the final 5 were pretty good. They even could have gone with no nickname. And yet they go with the most overdone, boring and predictable nickname they possibly could have picked because it still had Fighting in it. It doesn't matter anyway, we all know everyone is still calling them the Sioux for awhile.

What someone brought up earlier here is that the NCHC already has a Hawk nickname in Miami Ohio, who changed to Redhawks for the same reasons. That's how predictable this was, seems alot of Native American names change to bird themes.

All that matters is love, love, your love...

Archived