hettinger_rl

NBA G-League Still Needs to Expand

4 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Is anybody up to date on the development of the Delaware Blue Coats facility? I haven't been able to find anything. All I know is that the Blue Coats won't start playing there until later in the season. I believe most of their early season games will be on the road, with one game actually in Philly and a handful at the University of Delaware.

Barring any unforeseen delay, the 76ers Fieldhouse will open on January 4.

Has it been proven that there's any benefit to having an affiliated team in this league?  Do guys regularly get sent up / down like in baseball?  It doesn't seem the kind of place that you'd put a prospect, since anyone with any identified potential is going to be with the NBA team, right?  Is Portland or whoever really at any kind of competitive disadvantage from not having a team?

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Barring any unforeseen delay, the 76ers Fieldhouse will open on January 4.

Are the Sixers supposed to be doing anything at that venue? If not, it's kind of a weird choice to name the place after the big club.

5 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Are the Sixers supposed to be doing anything at that venue? If not, it's kind of a weird choice to name the place after the big club.

Well if they name it after themselves, they brand themselves to Wilmington, as an actual community partner from the start. They can sell naming rights later.

http://www.delawarebusinesstimes.com/76ers-fieldhouse-breaks-ground-on-wilmington-riverfront/

The heart of the $25 million development is a 160,000-square-foot building visible from both I-95 and I-495. The sport facilities include a court for the Blue Coats, with 2,366 bleacher seats (convertible to three NBA-regulation basketball courts), and a 100- by 70-yard indoor turf field.

The main tenants include the Blue Coats; youth sports teams; the Titus Sports Academy, a firm moving from Newark to continue athletic training programs and baseball teams; the Future Soccer Stars Foundation, a free program that uses soccer to “inspire kids to believe and invest in themselves”; and the Nemours Physical Therapy Clinic, moving from the hospital’s main campus in North Wilmington to provide rehabilitation and therapy for young athletes.

The site will have 521 parking spaces. McGlinchey, executive director of the Riverfront Development Corp., boasted easier pedestrian access from the Riverfront’s busier west side due to a foot bridge that opened last year. “It will be a magnet on the East Side,” she said.

Again, you could answer your own questions we before posting.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Has it been proven that there's any benefit to having an affiliated team in this league?  Do guys regularly get sent up / down like in baseball?  It doesn't seem the kind of place that you'd put a prospect, since anyone with any identified potential is going to be with the NBA team, right?  Is Portland or whoever really at any kind of competitive disadvantage from not having a team?

Yogi Ferrell is the best example of getting a big contract from moving to the NBA.

Because there's now two-way contracts, teams now would like to possess more control over talent in terms of system, training and diet. Real two-way contracts in the NBA started with the current CBA

Went to Capital City's season opener against Greensboro tonight in DC. The new arena is nice for a small venue. The attendance is about what I expected it to be for a G League game. Eye balled it to be about 40% of the arena's capacity. Enjoyed the game despite the Go-Go losing in overtime.