Good logos ruined by bad teams

FirearmofMutiny

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

223dptvgsgxaazhwbkhflbz7f.png

This one suffered the same fate

Les Expos. Oh man. The ultimate what could have been team.

0uoumo4hp8daek0qfmje0rol3.png

I loved that logo even though I never knew what it stood for. I miss things like that in our sports... foreign, different, that don't match cookie cutter looks that homogenize the sports world.

Also, i believe it stands for Expos Montreal Baseball. I could be wrong. But i know it is EMB

See this recent thread:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/106090-expos-logo-discussed-on-sitcom-in-1988/

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6707_hartford_whalers-jersey-1993.png

First one I thought of, but then I thought--maybe that logo is so good that even bad teams can't ruin it.

Well, they were so bad that the Whalers changed it into the Carolina Hurricanes logo... :P

But seriously, the Whalers logo is almost universally liked regardless of the team's performance; I don't think losing is the first thing that comes to mind when you see it.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

2358_vancouver_canucks-jersey-1971.png

244.png

njdevilsgreen.jpg

I like the red-and-green Devils logo and the "stick in rink" is okay, but not a big fan of the "let's look like the Lakers" L.A. Kings look.
Well the lakers switched to purple and gold to match the kings, the owner wanted his teams to have a unified look in the fourm.

Really? I had no clue. The more you know...

(That's not sarcasm. I really had no clue.)

2358_vancouver_canucks-jersey-1971.png

244.pngnjdevilsgreen.jpg

I like the red-and-green Devils logo and the "stick in rink" is okay, but not a big fan of the "let's look like the Lakers" L.A. Kings look.
Well the lakers switched to purple and gold to match the kings, the owner wanted his teams to have a unified look in the fourm.

Really? I had no clue. The more you know...

(That's not sarcasm. I really had no clue.)

Holy crap. That's true. I always believed that it was the other way around. Had to look it up. Nice job.

No, it needs some outlines (which it had on the sweaters, blue outlined in green and vice versa, or all white outlined in blue), it just didn't need to look like the lid of a toilet.

EDIT: I'd have gone with something like this

kkzM121.jpg

Keeps silver involved, does not recall a toilet seat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Knicks NYC Subway Token Logo. I'm not sure if it's still used today because I haven't seen it in the website or promotions since they ditched the black for the boring gray. If not, they should bring the logo back. I thought it was a great homage to the now defunct NYC Subway Tokens.

813.gifnyc_subway_token.jpg

And while on topic on the Knicks, I should bring up their jersey form the 2000's. It's a shame they were ditched for the "cleaner" look they wear today as soon as they finally became playoff contenders after a miserable decade. I thought these's were pretty cool.

knicks-amare-carmelo-chauncey.jpg?w=420

2011-new-york-knicks-earn-1st-nba-playof

and yes, black was incorporated into the teams colors in an era where EVERYONE EVERYWHERE WAS DOING IT but I don't feel like they over did it like some other teams. It was a simple stripe that didn't overshadow the original Blue and Orange colors.

XM4KeeA.png

Hate the Rangers alternates so much

1) color of the Statue of Liberty is wrong; I feel this is a major detail that one should get right

2) team colors are wrong; the Rangers wore a shade of royal blue since their inception and shouldn't diverge from that

3) modified Rangers crest on the shoulders is hideous

4) weird jagged lettering doesn't fit the style of the Rangers' usual drop-shadow italic lettering

5) superfluous 21ST-CEN-CHORE-EEE silver all over

Admittedly, I set a pretty high bar for justifying alternate uniforms, especially with teams like the pre-1901 NL clubs and the Original Six, but there's nothing in that design that not only appeals to me in and of itself but also makes the case for supplanting the superior original design a dozen-some times a year. Even though the Rangers have kind of drifted from the Original Six circlejerk, their most significant rivalries being with teams in the metro or down the turnpike rather than with their old-timey cohort, I still think they ought to look traditional at all times. The best I can say is that a Lady Liberty secondary in proper copper-patina green might look good on one shoulder of the Rags' blue sweater, but it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The genuine article--- Bucco Bruce!

He represents LOSING with a capital L!

1041.gif

People are weird and blame this for the losing.. when it was the penny pinching owner and losers like Ray Perkins and Leeman Bennett that ruined this logo.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

1041.gif

People are weird and blame this for the losing.. when it was the penny pinching owner and losers like Ray Perkins and Leeman Bennett that ruined this logo.

They were often short on talent and coaching, yes...but you can't say that having a logo that looked flamingly gay helped the team's morale.

1041.gif

They were often short on talent and coaching, yes...but you can't say that having a logo that looked flamingly gay helped the team's morale.

Had nothing to do with the logo. They went to an NFC Championship game wearing that logo. The problem was that Hugh Culverhouse realized he could still make piles of money and not spend any of it to make the team better. So, it was where careers went to die. The morale of the team was out when guys like Doug Williams were sent packing and Steve Young was traded away for a bag of balls.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

Archived