MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

15 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

But that definitely looks like artificial turf, which means I don't think it could be any of those.

Oops.  I was going to immediately just check the records, since it's easy enough to find out, but just wanted to theorize based on the evidence.  That's true, though.  Metrodome that light back then?  Or maybe an exhibition in one of the NL cookie-cutters.  Lemme actually go check now.

...and now I see that the records only go to Opening Day, and there doesn't seem to be any information on this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh... that's a weird color to do a memorial stripe in.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  The original memorial stripe was black.  But when the Reds added permanent details to their uniforms, even though they were perhaps inspired by the stripe, those details were blue.

Black as a team color and a permanent uniform element for the Reds originates from the 1990s. 

The Mets visited the Blue Jays in Toronto on March 16, 1991. 

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1991/03/16/Mets-7-Blue-Jays-1/2637669099600/

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/16/sports/baseball-battered-viola-feels-fine.html

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/the-blue-jays-needed-more-than-green-st-patricks-day-hats-news-photo/502502943?#the-blue-jays-needed-more-than-green-st-patricks-day-hats-against-the-picture-id502502943

The Blue Jays needed more than green St. Patrick's Day hats against the New York Mets at the SkyDome

March 16, 1991 

The Blue Jays needed more than green St. Patrick's Day hats against the New York Mets at the SkyDome yesterday. Newcomer Jerry Schunk; left; bobbles while Dave Stieb gets set for a losing cause - 7-1.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  The original memorial stripe was black.  But when the Reds added permanent details to their uniforms, even though they were perhaps inspired by the stripe, those details were blue.

Black as a team color and a permanent uniform element for the Reds originates from the 1990s. 

Exactly.  I didn't do a good job of clarifying this either.  Up until the 90s, whenever the Reds had a third color (other than red or white) as an accent color is was always navy blue.  But the tribute armband on which the 90s vest look was based was in fact black.  Also, the tribute armband was for the 1961 season.  Armbands were added to both sets of vested uniforms for the 1962-1966 seasons.   

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

8 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I actually think the opposite works. Dump the black but keep the unique font. It seems like baseball in general has left the non-descript font to the Yankees road uniform and I think it's  better that way.

When the Reds introduced the new font/number as part of their identity package they made a big point that this was a custom font designed exclusively for them and they pretty much switched all of their identity over to this font.  So most likely if they were to drop the black they would keep the font and just go with 2 colors. 

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Reds can use white more than other teams (i.e. white outlines on their road greys), therefore elevating it to secondary color status. Besides, not all teams need secondary colors.

I think pretty much anybody can use white pretty much whenever.. It's fair game as a neutral color.. The random second outline on the tigers' greys doesn't make it any more official than anything else.. I think it's used where teams think it's needed, even when it isn't a team color (i.e. The Orioles using white outlines on their orange jersey, but not their black jersey, which is essentially just the exact opposite).. 

There are definitely some color/white teams, but if it's not at least secondary, it doesn't deserve "official team color" status.. I can agree with the Dodgers being blue/white/red, but for the vast majority of teams, two non-white colors is the proper way represent their color palette..

Just for shiggles, here's my take:

BAL- orange/black

BOS- red/navy

NYY- navy/white............../red 

TB- navy/powder............./yellow

TOR- blue/red

CHW- black/white/silver

CLE- navy/red........./silver

DET- navy/orange

KC- blue/white................./powder/gold

MIN- red/navy/gold

HOU- navy/orange

LAA- red/navy

OAK- green/yellow

SEA- teal/navy

TEX- blue/red

ATL- navy/red

NYM- blue/orange

MIA- black/orange...../blue......./yellow.../etc

PHI- red/white/blue 

WSH- navy/red/white (USA-related, R/W/B/

CHC- blue/red

CIN- red/white/black

MIL- navy/gold

PIT- black/yellow

STL- red/navy

ARZ- brick/black/sand............/turquoise

COL- purple/black

LAD- blue/white/red 

SD- navy/yellow

SF- black/orange

9 hours ago, jch said:

I just looked back at the articles around the time these uniforms were introduced and it looks like the red and black undershirts were options for both home and away but that the red ones were meant to be worn at home.  So maybe it was intended for the black ones to be worn on the road.  I remember the replica jerseys from that set had black sleeves on the home faux vests and red ones on the roads.  When the road uniforms were paired with the red undershirts, the black arm band became more noticeable and served as a nice throwback to the 50s.  

010399uniformsall_511x500.jpg010399uniforms_550x421.jpg

Here are the photos from the 1999 unveiling.  It was my impression at the time that they were intended to always wear red undershirts at home and black on the road.  After they started winning a lot of road games that first season (even earning the nickname "The Big Road Machine"), they naturally assumed it was because they were wearing black undershirts on the road.  (I'm being sarcastic about the stupidity of superstition, by the way).  It was for that reason that they started wearing the black undershirts both home and road, and as the wins piled up, they were there to stay for far too long.

I may be wrong, but I don't think they ever wore red undershirts on the road with that set in the eight years they had them.  As you mentioned, though, the replica jerseys of that era strangely had the red undershirt with the road vest.  Regardless of the combination, it was a horrible look, and I'd like to forget it ever happened.  The current ones are much better, but it's time to take the next step and eliminate the black.  As others have said, just go back to 1968-71 and be done with it.  They never should have strayed from those in the first place.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I actually remember liking the current Reds uniforms when they came out because they got them away from the "black-first" look that they had pre-2007. The current uniforms at least brought red and white back to the forefront. DIdn't realize then as much as I do now that the black and the drop shadows especially still need to go. I guess they were a step in the right direction though.

I mean I think it's pretty much consensus that these are the worst the Reds have ever looked...

Image result for 2005 reds road uniforms

Did the Black Reds ever play the Black Blue Jays? hmmmm....

CNCINNATI

5 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I think pretty much anybody can use white pretty much whenever.. It's fair game as a neutral color.. The random second outline on the tigers' greys doesn't make it any more official than anything else.. I think it's used where teams think it's needed, even when it isn't a team color (i.e. The Orioles using white outlines on their orange jersey, but not their black jersey, which is essentially just the exact opposite).. 

There are definitely some color/white teams, but if it's not at least secondary, it doesn't deserve "official team color" status.. I can agree with the Dodgers being blue/white/red, but for the vast majority of teams, two non-white colors is the proper way represent their color palette..

Just for shiggles, here's my take:

BAL- orange/black

BOS- red/navy

NYY- navy/white............../red 

TB- navy/powder............./yellow

TOR- blue/red

CHW- black/white/silver

CLE- navy/red........./silver

DET- navy/orange

KC- blue/white................./powder/gold

MIN- red/navy/gold

HOU- navy/orange

LAA- red/navy

OAK- green/yellow

SEA- teal/navy

TEX- blue/red

ATL- navy/red

NYM- blue/orange

MIA- black/orange...../blue......./yellow.../etc

PHI- red/white/blue 

WSH- navy/red/white (USA-related, R/W/B/

CHC- blue/red

CIN- red/white/black

MIL- navy/gold

PIT- black/yellow

STL- red/navy

ARZ- brick/black/sand............/turquoise

COL- purple/black

LAD- blue/white/red 

SD- navy/yellow

SF- black/orange

I wholeheartedly disagree on a few points.  First of all, some teams... most teams have a third color.  Secondly, while white may be slight on some uniforms like the Tigers' away and the Orioles' alt, I think a major point you're overlooking here is the cap insignia.  The Tiger's home cap colors are navy and white.

Here's my appraisal of the teams' colors.

BAL - Black/Orange/White

BOS - Red/Navy/White

NYY - Navy/White/....Gray/....Red (It's just... weird.  I know.)

TB - Navy/White/Columbia/....Yellow  (Columbia should be the team's secondary color, but instead is used to accent white on the cap and uniform)

TOR - Royal/White/Red (Red really should barely qualify, but it is on the logo and they wear their national pride well.)

CWS - Black/White/Silver

CLE - Navy/Red/White (All silver got replaced with white in 2008)

DET - Navy/Orange/White

KC - Royal/White/....Powder/....Gold

MIN - Navy/Red/White....Gold

HOU - Navy/Orange/White

LAA - Red/White/....Silver/....Navy

OAK - Green/Gold/White

SEA - Navy/Teal/White/Silver

TEX - Royal/Red/White or Red/Royal/White (Depending on the day.  Colors of the state flag.)

ATL - Navy/Red/White

NYM - Royal/Orange/White (Prominently featured in their blue alternates.  Also meaningful as the colors of the city flag.)

MIA - Black/Orange/White/Silver/...Blue/...Yellow

PHI - Red/White/...Blue

WAS - Red/Navy/White

CHC - Royal/Red/White

CIN - Red/White/Black

MIL - Navy/Gold/White

PIT - Black/Gold/White/....Red (Lessened, but still featured on the sleeve logo and their retired numbers.)

STL - Red/Navy/White

ARI - Black/Sedona/Sand/Teal

COL - Black/Purple/Silver

LAD - Royal/White/....Red

SD - Navy/White/Silver

SF - Black/Orange/Gold/Sand

spacer.png

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The first thing that jumps out to me about Colorado's new purple jerseys is that they'd look better if the numbers were white (or grey) outlined in black instead of vice versa.

And that's exactly how they are on the back of the jerseys so hopefully they notice this and go in that direction eventually...

1*_Z7EPaxR7_Dz34qDQ3RiFQ.jpeg

9 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Marlins using this on their Twitter page for Spring Training. The ST cap logo but with the ocean blue as the background color. I like it.

Miami Marlins

Agreed - those two colors (or three, including both oranges) should be the dominant colors full time, with the black as an accent.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I think Tampa's two columbia blue jerseys outweigh the TB on the hat being white.

Yeah, but the royals hit the powder blue on their alts.  With the wordmarks, logos, and home whites and away grays columbia blue is used as a tertiary accent, a drop shadow on the white logo or a drop shadow around the white outline.  It's akin to the Red's black... except used less.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived