TVIXX

MLB Changes 2017

Recommended Posts

batman1211    21
10 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Quick question:

Does anyone wear their khakis to work rolled up almost to their knees, or do you all pretty much wear them the length they were manufactured?

I wear my khakis full length, but then again i don't slide around in the dirt at my job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WavePunter    668
21 minutes ago, batman1211 said:

I wear my khakis full length, but then again i don't slide around in the dirt at my job. 

Regardless of occupation, being expected to wear your clothes in odd ways is silly.. The manufacturers are as much or more to blame than the players themselves.. Make them only fall to mid-shin at the most, and the problem solves itself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmac11281    1,087
9 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Quick question:

Does anyone wear their khakis to work rolled up almost to their knees, or do you all pretty much wear them the length they were manufactured?

My whole accounting team wear our pants up to our knees and wear matching colored Stance socks. A different color each day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bucfan56    3,681

Yeah I roll my work khakis up to my knees every day as well. I also wear a Rawlings CoolFlow batting helmet at my desk, just to be safe. Still not sure why my co-workers don't talk to me or invite me to their after work hangouts. Must be a bunch of stiffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmac11281    1,087
2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Yeah I roll my work khakis up to my knees every day as well. I also wear a Rawlings CoolFlow batting helmet at my desk, just to be safe. Still not sure why my co-workers don't talk to me or invite me to their after work hangouts. Must be a bunch of stiffs. 

I'd hang out with you as long as your helmet is a matte finish with a raised logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon9485    154
13 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Regardless of occupation, being expected to wear your clothes in odd ways is silly.. The manufacturers are as much or more to blame than the players themselves.. Make them only fall to mid-shin at the most, and the problem solves itself

 

Except it wouldn't since teams would need various waist/leg length combinations for different body types. Then a player does exactly what is going on now; requests the waist/leg length combination of their preference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBullet1929    1,016

I wear my khakis full length always but I wear different tops every day. Some days I wear our company colors, some days I wear the colors and logos that the company popularly wore in the mid 80s, and recently I've been wearing the company's logos from the 80s with their colors from present day. I happen to work in Milwaukee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBullet1929    1,016

I also have a weird coworker from San Diego who happens to wear camo to work once a week. The rest of the week he wears the most boring and bland outfits I've ever seen even though everyone reminds him of the great and unique outfits he used to wear in the late 70's. Sadly, nobody likes him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WavePunter    668
7 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

 

Except it wouldn't since teams would need various waist/leg length combinations for different body types. Then a player does exactly what is going on now; requests the waist/leg length combination of their preference. 

Or, majestic take measurements and manufacture pants.. Then there are no teams or players making requests.. So it would not be what's going on now.. Even a waist preference and height would suffice to find something in the mid-shin range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBullet1929    1,016

For clarification on pant lengths for guys who wear high socks or stirrups because I've never known the answer before... some players wear pants that are specifically cut short and some wear long pants that they just wear shortened right? I feel like I've seen both but I could be wrong. And I'm asking about present day, not what was worn way back when. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bouj    59
4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

For clarification on pant lengths for guys who wear high socks or stirrups because I've never known the answer before... some players wear pants that are specifically cut short and some wear long pants that they just wear shortened right? I feel like I've seen both but I could be wrong. And I'm asking about present day, not what was worn way back when. 

Yes, it's both.  Hunter Pence and Jose Altuve wear pants that have very short hems.  Stephen Strasburg wears bloused pants (long pants that are folded under) that are probably mid-shin or just longer when not folded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I was riding my bike this past weekend, I passed by some baseball fields where youth teams were playing.  I was pleased to see that a good portion of the kids were showing some sock, with their pants cuffed at the high shin or under the knee.

Of the kids showing socks, I didn't see any real stirrups; almost all were wearing solid socks.  But I did see one kid wearing two-in-ones with pants that came to just above his ankles.

More than half of the players were still wearing the pajama pants with no elastic; but there is a noticeable increase in pants with the elastic, and of players showing their socks.  So, a hopeful sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McCarthy    6,598

I'm pretty traditional in my tastes, but the high/low pants debate is something I've just never cared about. I think both look fine. I wore my pants low to my shoes so I wouldn't have to pull my socks up and I felt that was more comfortable. Had the added benefit of looking like my baseball hero Barry Larkin. Eventually fashion will swing back to more guys showing more sock, but I don't think you'll ever get 100% adoption or a rule mandating visible socks. 

 

Right now men's fashion is moving towards tighter and better fitting clothing anyways and sports are starting to get in on that. It'll be a matter of time until the pajama pants look is a thing of the past. 

 

Here's Joey Votto in his MVP season of 2010 looking baggy and sloppy

dcb3d8a0a389ff06798169c133946849.jpg

 

here he is six years later looking trim and sharp in a better fitting uniform. People actually asked him if he'd lost weight that offseason and he finally had to set the record straight that he hadn't he was just wearing tighter pants. 

5908b03d6420e_PhilliesRedsBaseball.thumb.jpg.e0bcf1b4afb43a205c072b76bef8a60f.jpg

 

It's not just baseball. Lebron and Carmelo during their rookie year

689a5983d1d70c091fbadeef391da7cd.jpg

 

and then recently

carmelo-anthony-lebron-james-nba-clevela

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmac11281    1,087
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I'm pretty traditional in my tastes, but the high/low pants debate is something I've just never cared about. I think both look fine. I wore my pants low to my shoes so I wouldn't have to pull my socks up and I felt that was more comfortable. Had the added benefit of looking like my baseball hero Barry Larkin. Eventually fashion will swing back to more guys showing more sock, but I don't think you'll ever get 100% adoption or a rule mandating visible socks. 

 

Right now men's fashion is moving towards tighter and better fitting clothing anyways and sports are starting to get in on that. It'll be a matter of time until the pajama pants look is a thing of the past. 

 

Here's Joey Votto in his MVP season of 2010 looking baggy and sloppy

dcb3d8a0a389ff06798169c133946849.jpg

 

here he is six years later looking trim and sharp in a better fitting uniform. People actually asked him if he'd lost weight that offseason and he finally had to set the record straight that he hadn't he was just wearing tighter pants. 

5908b03d6420e_PhilliesRedsBaseball.thumb.jpg.e0bcf1b4afb43a205c072b76bef8a60f.jpg

 

It's not just baseball. Lebron and Carmelo during their rookie year

689a5983d1d70c091fbadeef391da7cd.jpg

 

and then recently

carmelo-anthony-lebron-james-nba-clevela

 

 

Basketball is a funny one. They seem to have gradually gone away from the Fab Five baggy look to a more form fitting look. I just hope we don't get short shorts again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,192
11 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Basketball is a funny one. They seem to have gradually gone away from the Fab Five baggy look to a more form fitting look. I just hope we don't get short shorts again!

Short shorts will probably never happen.  John Stockton will probably be to short shorts what Scott Player is to the single-bar facemask.  Then again, style can be cyclical and general fashion comebacks happen.  Maybe general society will go back to short shorts and some basketball players will follow suit.  But I kinda don't see it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McCarthy    6,598

I don't think we'll see the 1980's nuthuggers come back, but shorter shorts are on the way. I noticed a couple players in the final four wearing shorts at a length that would've been laughed out of the gym 10 years ago. A couple inches above the knee would be my preference. 

 

I think we've reached a good middle point in men's fashion and athletic wear between what was cool with the ultra tight and small clothes of the 70's and 80's and the ridiculous baggy look of the 90's and 00's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RichO    209
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I don't think we'll see the 1980's nuthuggers come back, but shorter shorts are on the way. I noticed a couple players in the final four wearing shorts at a length that would've been laughed out of the gym 10 years ago. A couple inches above the knee would be my preference. 

 

I think we've reached a good middle point in men's fashion and athletic wear between what was cool with the ultra tight and small clothes of the 70's and 80's and the ridiculous baggy look of the 90's and 00's. 

 

Definitely seem headed toward a period of relatively fitted 7 or 8 inch inseams in basketball. Hard to imagine anyone going shorter than 7 inches though, since longer shorts are so ingrained.

 

Mercifully men's fashion seems to have settled into more moderate ground after the trend of basically stuffing men into suits 3 sizes too small a couple years ago. Which means we're probably due for big-ass early 90s suits to come back any month now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CreamSoda    1,161

Ok, so maybe one of you all can answer this.

 

I have always just thought there was the one style of official MLB cap.  The high profile flat brim new era.  But I was shopping for a new Rockies cap and saw they offered it in the low profile, curved bill style.  Has this always been available or is the low profile version not really an official MLB on field option?

 

s7pkYOk.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aawagner011    791

The low crown has been an option for a while, but I think we've only recently begun to see them easily accessible at retail. I think they used to be sold on an MiLB site and occasionally in shops but they were hard to find. Now they are very easy to acquire.

 

I believe they've been an on field option for a very long time. One of the most notable to wear them is Ichiro.

 

The design of the cap is 100% the same but the fit is much better (at least for me). Much more comfortable and feels less like it's squeezing my noggin. There also isn't an extra inch of air between my head and the crown.

 

It's all personal preference but I've found I can't go back to high crown 5950s. Low crown is the only way I'll do fitted New Era now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CreamSoda    1,161
11 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The low crown has been an option for a while, but I think we've only recently begun to see them easily accessible at retail. I think they used to be sold on an MiLB site and occasionally in shops but they were hard to find. Now they are very easy to acquire.

 

I believe they've been an on field option for a very long time. One of the most notable to wear them is Ichiro.

 

The design of the cap is 100% the same but the fit is much better (at least for me). Much more comfortable and feels less like it's squeezing my noggin. There also isn't an extra inch of air between my head and the crown.

 

It's all personal preference but I've found I can't go back to high crown 5950s. Low crown is the only way I'll do fitted New Era now.

 

Thanks for the info! 

 

I went ahead and ordered the low profile version.  I never liked the fit of the high profile and flat brim.  Hopefully this low profile fits me better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now