MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

33 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Thanks for the info! 

I went ahead and ordered the low profile version.  I never liked the fit of the high profile and flat brim.  Hopefully this low profile fits me better. 

Great! Sounds like you and I are very similar. It will come with a slightly pre-curved bill. Fits great. I've got 4-5 low crowns now and I've also found the sizing to be more consistent than the high crowns. You'll love it!

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Braves also just launched a "Los Bravos" jersey. And I hate it. This has nothing to do with being culturally insensitive or whatever you want to call it. I just simply hate adding "the" in front of the wordmark and claiming that is celebrating Spanish heritage. Which teams around the world seriously include "the" on their uniform? Not to mention that it looks like an after thought just wedged in there. The end of "Bravos" tails off a bit and the spacing is bad between the tomahawk and "s." No idea what the protocol is for this set or how often it'll be worn (I'm hoping one single game).

IMG_8827.JPG

Edit- Sept 17, thank heavens.

IMG_8834.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

IMG_8836.JPG

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

The low crown has been an option for a while, but I think we've only recently begun to see them easily accessible at retail. I think they used to be sold on an MiLB site and occasionally in shops but they were hard to find. Now they are very easy to acquire.

I believe they've been an on field option for a very long time. One of the most notable to wear them is Ichiro.

The design of the cap is 100% the same but the fit is much better (at least for me). Much more comfortable and feels less like it's squeezing my noggin. There also isn't an extra inch of air between my head and the crown.

It's all personal preference but I've found I can't go back to high crown 5950s. Low crown is the only way I'll do fitted New Era now.

Got the new Brewers cap for my bday, same fitted size I always do. Noticed right away it fit my weird head slightly better. After reading this post sure enough I have the Low Profile version. Love it!

15 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I have always just thought there was the one style of official MLB cap.  The high profile flat brim new era.  But I was shopping for a new Rockies cap and saw they offered it in the low profile, curved bill style.  Has this always been available or is the low profile version not really an official MLB on field option?

Ichiro in low profile caps... I feel like his is pretty noticeable compared to other players...

Image result for ichiro suzuki marlinsRelated image

10 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Do all the teams have those sweet Letterman jackets or just the Yanks? Cause they look phenomenal. 

I checked every other team shop and didn't see any, nor have I seen any on the field either. So, unless I'm mistaken it's just the Yankees right now.

And yes, they're awesome. Actual quality jackets need to make a comeback in MLB; they've been nonexistent for almost a decade now.

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Ichiro in low profile caps... I feel like his is pretty noticeable compared to other players...

The interesting thing is his seems even more low profile than normal. I have multiple low crown 5950s and none of them look this low.

Just now, aawagner011 said:

The interesting thing is his seems even more low profile than normal. I have multiple low crown 5950s and none of them look this low.

Hmm, that is interesting. I don't even know of any other major leaguers who use low crowns. Does anyone know any so maybe we can compare?

16 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Ok, so maybe one of you all can answer this.

I have always just thought there was the one style of official MLB cap.  The high profile flat brim new era.  But I was shopping for a new Rockies cap and saw they offered it in the low profile, curved bill style.  Has this always been available or is the low profile version not really an official MLB on field option?

s7pkYOk.png

It's been around for a few years. It's the only one I like to wear, otherwise I feel like I have a pillbox on my head. Rick Porcello wore that low profile Tigers hat for basically his whole career in Detroit. 

6439352.jpg

Max Scherzer was another one who wore it. 

max-scherzer-mlb-detroit-tigers-new-york

They've been available since around 2009, but availability used to be much more limited.  You could get the Yankees and Dodgers version online sometimes, but rarely anybody else.

Personally, I always rip out the backing of my 59fifties for a softer look, so I like having the extra material in the crown.  If I didn't, I would go with low-profile every time.

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They've been available since around 2009, but availability used to be much more limited.  You could get the Yankees and Dodgers version online sometimes, but rarely anybody else.

Personally, I always rip out the backing of my 59fifties for a softer look, so I like having the extra material in the crown.  If I didn't, I would go with low-profile every time.

Did that affect sizing at all?  Do you have to order smaller sizes?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Remember a while back that beautiful concept of the Miami ASG caps looking like neon lights from South Beach nightlife? Check out the graphics on the Marlins Twitter page about ASG voting...

Miami MarlinsC-yBFfGWAAEAHSD.jpg

Marlins should embrace the neon light look. 

21 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I don't think we'll see the 1980's nuthuggers come back, but shorter shorts are on the way. I noticed a couple players in the final four wearing shorts at a length that would've been laughed out of the gym 10 years ago. A couple inches above the knee would be my preference. 

I notice that too and mentioned it to my wife and son.  If memory serves me, the guys with shorter shorts were all guards . . . and a disproportionate number wore No. 1.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

18 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I notice that too and mentioned it to my wife and son.  If memory serves me, the guys with shorter shorts were all guards . . . and a disproportionate number wore No. 1.

I noticed the same exact thing. Guessing shorter shorts benefit guards the most, since they generally need to be shorter and speedier. Most guards back in the 2000s always looked like they were swimming in those baggy shorts, given their smaller size, and I'd have to guess it hindered their mobility a bit.

Though in general, I never quite understood how athletes found baggier clothes comfortable to wear or easy to move around in. Super long/baggy basketball shorts and baggy baseball pants falling near the player's cleats are the two biggest culprits in this. I'd look at some ballplayers (Manny Ramirez comes to mind) and wonder how they weren't constantly tripping over their pants - I couldn't walk in pants that low and baggy if I tried, and I'm not running around full speed on a ball field. The guys that literally clipped the back of their pants to a cleat, or tying a shoelace around their pants, confounded me most - they were literally tying their pants to their shoes. I'll never be convinced that that didn't hinder their ease of mobility on the field.

On 5/2/2017 at 11:38 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While I was riding my bike this past weekend, I passed by some baseball fields where youth teams were playing.  I was pleased to see that a good portion of the kids were showing some sock, with their pants cuffed at the high shin or under the knee.

Of the kids showing socks, I didn't see any real stirrups; almost all were wearing solid socks.  But I did see one kid wearing two-in-ones with pants that came to just above his ankles.

More than half of the players were still wearing the pajama pants with no elastic; but there is a noticeable increase in pants with the elastic, and of players showing their socks.  So, a hopeful sign.

When I was a kid playing baseball (10-7ish years ago) I alternated (basically I pulled a David Wright) and I always wanted stirrups when I had my pants high cuffed, but they're only on the internet. You can't really find them in stores, and this was 2008.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This version looks much better.  I never understood the point of the extremely high crown 5950s.  Frankly, unless you have a huge head, they look completely stupid on most people.  I even wish New Era would start making fitteds even lower than the 3930s.

Archived