Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

867 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

What's different about the Spurs? Just looks like the text was isolated from the rest of the logo

The text is thinner and elongated so it's not quite as squished down as it is in the current logos. Compare this:

IMG_4267.PNG.5c0f4179a0a76301613c68887cb3a9db.PNG

With this:

IMG_4272.JPG.db6b9c6390bb92ccba68d8476c84b9b9.JPG

And like Conrad says below, it's arched differently as well. It's more of a vertical arch in the new logo, rather than radial.

5 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

What's different about the Spurs? Just looks like the text was isolated from the rest of the logo

The current Spurs global logo doesn't use a block typeface. It's a curved-edge typeface. And the text is curved differently in the old logo.

And yea, you're right Jonah, the current ball with sword and text on top is gone from the branding.

As for the look of this new logo in full color...meh, it's alright. I can't post that online yet, unfortunately. Will do once it's leaked somewhere other than from me, lol.

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

The current Spurs global logo doesn't use a block typeface. It's a curved-edge typeface. And the text is curved differently in the old logo.

And yea, you're right Jonah, the current ball with sword and text on top is gone from the branding.

As for the look of this new logo in full color...meh, it's alright. I can't post that online yet, unfortunately. Will do once it's leaked somewhere other than from me, lol.

Glad to hear that Cavs' logo will be gone from the branding. That's been my least favorite of their set since it was first unveiled in '03. It never really meshed with the rest of their logo package, mainly because the ball seemed so forced into the primary.

Also, can we assume the "global logo" designation is fairly comparable to "primary"? Or are they different?

I fixed my article to include definitions of all the denotation, but basically, the Global Logo is the logo that requires cityname and nickname. The Primary Icon is what companies are told to use when referring to teams in their marketing materials.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Derek said:

Ugh... Cleveland Cavaliers F.C.

Hey, be grateful it's not a roundel. 

I honestly really like the Cavs current primary logo, and I wish they'd go back to the original wordmarks because they were badass and consistent. It seems weird to narrow it down to just the "C" being stylized while the rest of the logos are in the more plain font.

BUT, I don't want to judge too harshly. It may turn out alright even if they aren't meeting my preconceived notions of what they should do.

The Cavs have a long history of being unable to settle on an identity, so I'm not expecting whatever this next round is to be all that permanent anyway.

1 hour ago, Derek said:

Ugh... Cleveland Cavaliers F.C.

That's what I thought at first too but then I realized if one team can pull of a shield as their logo it might as well be a team with a name that pretty much means a soldier.

2 people like this

I always wished the Bulls would take their Twitter profile photo and use it as their primary

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

I really like that new Cavaliers logo. If we don't win the title again this year, I'll probably buy a hat with that logo on it.

43 minutes ago, natolian10 said:

That's what I thought at first too but then I realized if one team can pull of a shield as their logo it might as well be a team with a name that pretty much means a soldier.

This is true, but does anyone out there know if a French Cavalier used an actual shield? I can't find any info either way.

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Hey, be grateful it's not a roundel. 

A roundel wouldn't be horrible if it was accompanied by crossed swords. Yes, it's a bit trite and safe, but so is a shield.

34 minutes ago, Derek said:

A roundel wouldn't be horrible if it was accompanied by crossed swords. Yes, it's a bit trite and safe, but so is a shield.

large_fearthesword.com_full.30473.png

???

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TVIXX said:

I always wished the Bulls would take their Twitter profile photo and use it as their primary

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is the top one used on Twitter? It looks identical, except for maybe a richer black?

6 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Is the top one used on Twitter? It looks identical, except for maybe a richer black?

Yes, the top one is used on Twitter. It has thicker strokes than the actual logo does. It's especially noticeable on the outline of the face and horns, but some of the strokes inside the face are slightly thicker as well.

Mock-up of the Potential new Cavaliers Logo

NEw Cavaliers Logo.jpg

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

large_fearthesword.com_full.30473.png

???

Like I said, it's been done, but it makes for a nice composition.

Ugh... The shield looks so forced in that Cavs logo. Not a fan.

5 people like this

On 5/19/2017 at 7:08 PM, alecgoff said:

Mock-up of the Potential new Cavaliers Logo

NEw Cavaliers Logo.jpg

Has it ever bothered anyone else that the 3D rendering on the C appears to be off? Like shouldnt all the shadow navy areas be angled in the same direction? 

3 people like this

22 minutes ago, Ark said:

2520_long_island__nets-primary-2017.png

This is a much better logo than what the main team has.

Not a bad roundel, but the spacing between the stars is bugging me.

2 people like this