2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't deny greatness. Much as I hate them, this is something that won't be seen again for generations, if ever.

Plus, that comeback and just... wow.

God damn you, Mo Lewis.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Saddens me to see people crapping on the Falcons and their fans, especially Saints fans who have done their share of suffering and should thus have some empathy.

Yes, I started the night rooting for NE, and I didn't end it rooting for Atlanta. It was more like "come on, Falcons, don't do this to your fans." It was real life playing out the saying "wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy."

I suppose living in metro Atlanta for 16 years has given me the chance to know the enemy so to speak. Screw the bandwagoners, but I know a lot of good people who live and die with that team as all true fans do with their own and I feel for every one of them. 

I don't feel for Kyle Shanahan. Up by 16 with 8:31 left, averaging 7 yards a carry, AND you have a strong, 6'4" QB, and on 3rd and 1, you call a pass that takes so long to develop that a LB has time to run 20 yards before crushing Ryan and forcing a fumble? That play turned the tide and made possible all that followed.

Plenty of responsibility to go around on the Falcons' side, and credit the Patriots, but that call was just inexplicable.

Oh, and you have this guy and target him exactly four times (all completions, for 87 yards). Hmmm...

2226C703-E9E7-490E-A39D-BA10208528DA-2800-000003BE256E4DB7_tmp.png

Image: USA Today 

Edelman's catch? Instant legend. Unbelievable focus, admirable skill, and a dump truck full of luck. 

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Falcons played an incredible game. They had everything going for them. At halftime it looked like the Falcons were going to just run away with the game. The Pats could not do a single thing right. Dropped balls, Blount fumbling. Julio Jones looked unbelievable with those sideline catches.

i think that the Falcons just ran out of steam at the end. They showed a graphic at one point for ball control and the Pats had the ball for twice as much it seemed, yet the Falcons were gaining twice as many yards per play than the Patriots.

it just became a war of attrition and the Pats wore them down and then started to look like they have all season.

And that Edelman catch. Whoo-ly crap! That must've been how Giants fans felt with Tyree. If he didn't have so many dropped balls he easily could've been MVP with that.

The Falcons aren't going away as long as they maintain. They are SCARY good. Like, ridiculously good. What they can do when they have the ball is insane. They just got wore down. But next year they come back with experience, a year under the belt of those rookies on the defense...

They'll be back. They could easily be back and in Minnesota next year. IF they don't panic in the offseason!

Hell of a game! I feel like I have a hangover from watching that. Still in shock. 

Edit: and I agree. Anyone purposely coming in here to shot on the Falcons needs to cut the crap. I wouldn't expect any sympathy if this were the other way around but that team is Strong and played their hearts out. Their fans do have something to be proud of and have many years still ahead of them.

The Falcons had a 1st & 10 at the Patriots' 22 yard line, with an 8 point lead. How do you not play it super conservatively there? They'd be set up for a 39 yard field goal to go up by 11 if they didn't advance the ball an inch. Keep the ball on the damn ground. 

Why are you running passing plays from the shotgun on 2nd down? That sack on 2nd down diametrically changed the game. Rather than a 40 yard or so field goal, you're now looking at a 52 yard field goal from that point. Moreover, rather than being able to just try to gain a few yards on a run play in order to shave a few yards off an FG attempt, you're now in a situation where you're looking to gain at least 10 yards just to get back to the field position you were in before.

If the Falcons ran three conservative running plays in a row, they likely would've been looking at a 40 yard (or better) field goal attempt, to make it a two possession game. Miserable play calling there.

Atlanta was up 28-3 at one point... how do you NOT put your foot on their throat and finish the job? I might chalk that up to inexperience in this situation.

Either way, as much as I hate to say this... Congrats to New England. They EARNED this one... BTW, Atlanta didn't get a chance in OT. How much you want to bet that more changes to the OT rules are coming after this one?

6 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

BTW, Atlanta didn't get a chance in OT. How much you want to bet that more changes to the OT rules are coming after this one?

I hate NFL overtime rules, and think the changes a few years back were only a half-measure that really made little improvement. The fact that the game can end without both teams having had a chance to possess the ball is asinine.

The simplest rule change would just be to require that both teams possess the ball at least once (i.e. a touchdown on the first possession must be matched by the opponent), unless a team scores while on defense. You could also speed up the affair by instituting something similar to NCAA rules, with possession automatically beginning at some predetermined field position (I'd personally go for the opponents' 40 yard line, or maybe even the 50, rather than the 25).

I can only hope this spurs a change in NFL OT rules, though I can guarantee that if it does, some people will chalk it up to Goodell being on an anti-Kraft/Brady mission and trying to delegitimize their win.

21 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Atlanta was up 28-3 at one point... how do you NOT put your foot on their throat and finish the job? I might chalk that up to inexperience in this situation.

That field goal opportunity which was blown by a dumb penalty, it came back to haunt the Falcons.

Think about the last two big games played at that stadium:

Villanova wins nat'l champiohship on 3-pointer as time expires.

Brady wins Super Bowl in OT.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

32 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I hate NFL overtime rules, and think the changes a few years back were only a half-measure that really made little improvement. The fact that the game can end without both teams having had a chance to possess the ball is asinine.

The simplest rule change would just be to require that both teams possess the ball at least once (i.e. a touchdown on the first possession must be matched by the opponent), unless a team scores while on defense. You could also speed up the affair by instituting something similar to NCAA rules, with possession automatically beginning at some predetermined field position (I'd personally go for the opponents' 40 yard line, or maybe even the 50, rather than the 25).

I can only hope this spurs a change in NFL OT rules, though I can guarantee that if it does, some people will chalk it up to Goodell being on an anti-Kraft/Brady mission and trying to delegitimize their win.

I've consistently been an advocate of just playing a 5th quarter.  there's no way that a team could sustain a drive for 15 minutes to just run out the clock. It's the simplest in terms of adjustments.  Screw the "place it on this line and they get three downs to try and blah blah blah.  I personally HATE NCAA OT rules because there's no strategy: Punch it in and then see if the other team does too. Repeat as necessary. Just play a 5th Quarter.  If the quarter also ends in a tie, then during the Regular Season, it's a Tie.  if it happens during the playoffs, 6th quarter.  Rest of the rules (Replays from the booth, 3 time outs) can stay.  Just eliminate these little ticky-tack stipulations and let them play football!

57 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The Falcons had a 1st & 10 at the Patriots' 22 yard line, with an 8 point lead. How do you not play it super conservatively there? They'd be set up for a 39 yard field goal to go up by 11 if they didn't advance the ball an inch. Keep the ball on the damn ground. 

Why are you running passing plays from the shotgun on 2nd down? That sack on 2nd down diametrically changed the game. Rather than a 40 yard or so field goal, you're now looking at a 52 yard field goal from that point. Moreover, rather than being able to just try to gain a few yards on a run play in order to shave a few yards off an FG attempt, you're now in a situation where you're looking to gain at least 10 yards just to get back to the field position you were in before.

If the Falcons ran three conservative running plays in a row, they likely would've been looking at a 40 yard (or better) field goal attempt, to make it a two possession game. Miserable play calling there.

That baffled me as well. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they went guns ablazing at that point. You'd have thought they were the ones down 28-20 if you'd have just tuned in.

And it's not like you've got a questionable kicker either and had to get a touchdown. Bryant is, uh, pretty good. 

We're talking about a whole other ballgame if they get a field goal out of that drive. Just terribly, terribly managed.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm just sick to my stomach for Falcons fans. That's the worst possible way to watch your team lose - to believe you have a championship, your first championship no less, in the bag and then have it snatched away in historic fashion by a team/fanbase/city who's lousy with titles already, plus you have a handful of "what ifs" and second guesses you're going to ask for the rest of your life. Ugh. That's an all-time gut and nut punch. One of the worst I can remember. Maybe this is taking sports too seriously, but I don't think I could come back after that. That's as close as you can get without actually winning. If I'm a Falcons fan right now I'm probably done with football. 

Also, no doubt in my mind that if the Bengals are ever in another Super Bowl that's how we'd lose. 

I think I'm done with the NFL until Brady and Bellichick are retired and Roethlisberger is done playing in Pittsburgh. Until then it just feels pointless. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just now, FinsUp1214 said:

That baffled me as well. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they went guns ablazing at that point. You'd have thought they were the ones down 28-20 if you'd have just tuned in.

And it's not like you've got a questionable kicker, either. Bryant is, uh, pretty good. 

We're talking about a whole other ballgame if they get a field goal out of that drive. Just terribly, terribly managed.

Yeah, I'd feel very good about Bryant's chances at making a 40 yard field goal in a dome. The fact that their play calling precluded giving him that chance is terrible.

Patriots fan here to address the Falcons supporters:

Helluva game. I tip my navy blue Flying Elvis cap to you. I was worried and you guys deserve something for whooping us through the first 75% of the game. Unbelievable effort, especially by Matty Ice and your defense. Nothing but respect for the Dirty Birds. May fortune be on your side next year. Maybe we'll meet again in Minnesota. But first, we'll be seeing you in Foxborough in the regular season.

Now, as for that finish last night...

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. I HUGGED A RANDOM PATS FAN LAST NIGHT AFTER THE WIN. I GOT A FREE PATS T-SHIRT FROM THE HOT CHICK SITTING BESIDE ME ALTHOUGH SHE WAS WITH HER BOYFRIEND. I RAN FROM THE STUDENT CENTER TO MY FRIEND'S PHRAT HOUSE, JUMPING FOR JOY THE EBTIRE WAY, AND HAD A BRO MOMENT WITH HIM, GIVING HIM A BEAR HUG. I BARELY SLEPT FIVE HOURS LAST NIGHT. 

YES!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

That was just an absolutely soul-crushing defeat for the Falcons. To get so close, and to blow the game. That's just playoff inexperience.

This is a tough loss to stomach; it can't really be put into words. How will Atlanta come back next season? We'll have to wait and find out.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived