NHL 2017-18

Bmac

Five years might be a bit bullish (or would it be bearish in this context?).

While those of us on the boards have been quick to point out what a train wreck the organization appears to be, I suspect there will be at least some honeymoon period. However, with the pending arrival of the Raiders the clock is already ticking, and I suspect the honeymoon will not be as long or intense as Foley and the NHL initially projected. Even if the team's grace period was to end immediately upon the arrival of the Raiders (which is a possibility), there are still a number of factors that may delay their departure. 

Allow me to toss out a few numbers:

1944 - The year Bill Foley was born.

2023 - The current average life expectancy for Americans is 79.3

2029 - While the wealthy generally live longer, I would argue that Foley being alive and engaged with the team beyond the age of 85 is unlikely. 

2016 - Year that T-Mobile Arena opened

2 - Number of other NHL arenas opened that year (counting T-Mobile).

5 - Number of NHL arenas built in the last 10 years (counting T-Mobile). 

3* - Number of NHL arenas scheduled to be built in the next 10 years (*-including Calgary even though plans are still being developed).

2009 - Year the Phoenix Coyotes declared bankruptcy.

7 - Number of years that the NHL has either actively owned the Coyotes or provided support via a multi-million dollar line of credit.

2 - Number of NHL teams that are either publicly for sale (Carolina), or are actively looking for investors (Arizona).

1 - Number of "NHL ready" markets (there are a number of arenas in the US and Canada that could accommodate an NHL team, but only one -    

Quebec City - has a facility and an ownership group ready and waiting).

Depending on who you ask these last two number might be on the conservative side of things, but I'm focusing on "definite" rather than "probably". 

The point being that Las Vegas will have one of the newest arenas in the league, with the vast majority of teams playing in arenas that are 10 years old or older. While this isn't enough to keep the team in Las Vegas, the NHL has a vested interest in demonstrating that building new arenas (often at public expense) will attract and retain NHL franchises. Obviously the Las Vegas situation is different since T-Mobile Arena was privately financed, but the optics are still bad. Just look at all the contortions the NHL has gone through to save face in Arizona. That alone makes the 5 year timeline more than a little ambitious.

However, the bigger factor (and the one that would be keeping me up at night if I was Garry B), is that there are already a number of "distressed" NHL properties and a limited number of places where they can easily be moved. Yes, there's been lots of talk about Seattle and PDX (and to a lesser degree Kansas City and Houston) but these markets are either missing interested ownership, a suitable venue, or both. So even if the situation in Las Vegas became dire and all parties were interested in loading up the moving vans, they'd need a forwarding address...and that could be difficult to come by.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, JGraz15 said:

"The NHL is having an event in New York where they’re showing all the new jerseys. We believe we’re going to defer from that and we will release our jersey the day of he expansion draft on national television."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golden-knights-owner-on-nationally-televised-expansion-draft-private-protection-lists-raiders-vegas-move-qa-233106106.html

So the NHL expansion draft is June 21st. Did Foley leak that the NHL is going to show all of the new adidas jerseys prior to this date?

48 minutes ago, JGraz15 said:

So the NHL expansion draft is June 21st. Did Foley leak that the NHL is going to show all of the new adidas jerseys prior to this date?

I'm not sure that's what he said.  He only said it would be a different date than the League reveal.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It's a change but not a change.  Unless they really changed the template, there's really no need have an event to "unveil" home and aways, as what, 26 teams will remain the same?

A new brand is taking over the outfitting of an entire league, of course their going to have an unveiling.

6 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

NHL is having an event to show the new jerseys?  Sounds like every team is getting some sort of tweak, at least.

Is this scaring anyone else that we're gonna have RBK Edge all over again?

43 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Is this scaring anyone else that we're gonna have RBK Edge all over again?

Its a possibility but given the current throwback/simplified trends in the league I don't think we're going to be given a bunch of hackneyed, futuristic fill-in-the-template jerseys.

My only real fears are that Adidas continues Reebok's war on hemstripes, and that they try to slap those awful 3 stripes everywhere.

1 minute ago, Chromatic said:

Its a possibility but given the current throwback/simplified trends in the league I don't think we're going to be given a bunch of hackneyed, futuristic fill-in-the-template jerseys.

My only real fears are that Adidas continues Reebok's war on hemstripes, and that they try to slap those awful 3 stripes everywhere.

If they didn't slap the 3 stripes on NBA jerseys, they won't do it in the NHL.  They really haven't done it in college football either. 

Just now, WSU151 said:

If they didn't slap the 3 stripes on NBA jerseys, they won't do it in the NHL.  They really haven't done it in college football either. 

I agree its not likely, but the MLS and WCH uniforms make me look at it with some degree of caution. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sneak it in like on collars, or sublimated on teams like Vegas, etc.

6 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I agree its not likely, but the MLS and WCH uniforms make me look at it with some degree of caution. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sneak it in like on collars, or sublimated on teams like Vegas, etc.

Three stripes have always been prevalent in soccer, and the WCH was an exhibition with no strict aesthetic/branding rules.  The adidas logo will appear somewhere though, just like the Reebok, CCM, Starter and Nike logos appeared in years prior.  

On 2/13/2017 at 11:27 PM, Point1 said:

I will have to find it, but I read a few weeks ago that there will be no 3 stripe pattern. The article said the uniforms will be a new cut and use different materials so I expect the rollout to be similar to when the Edge uniform was released. Have a feeling they will look a lot like the world cup jerseys 

9 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

Yes, there's been lots of talk about Seattle and PDX (and to a lesser degree Kansas City and Houston) but these markets are either missing interested ownership, a suitable venue, or both. So even if the situation in Las Vegas became dire and all parties were interested in loading up the moving vans, they'd need a forwarding address...and that could be difficult to come by.

Quebec City.

7 minutes ago, bowld said:
On 2/13/2017 at 11:27 PM, Point1 said:

I will have to find it, but I read a few weeks ago that there will be no 3 stripe pattern. The article said the uniforms will be a new cut and use different materials so I expect the rollout to be similar to when the Edge uniform was released. Have a feeling they will look a lot like the world cup jerseys 

Please no more colorblocking.

2 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

That's assuming Quebec City is still an available market.

The way I see it there are too many teams that are at risk of moving for Quebec City to still be available.

I'm sure Carolina is on your list, and maybe Arizona.  But who else if any?

Archived