Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

CCSLC Uniform Grading Scale

A+ = 100% return to old uniforms with the old logo as well

A = Newer team decides "hey we're from the 60s too!" with both logo and uniforms

B = Traditional uniforms with a slightly modern logo

F = A completely traditional uniform with one modern element (gasp!)

F- = Completely modern uniform and logos

On this scale, the Lions get an F, because they have a couple modern elements (Lions on sleeve, new logo).

In my grading scale, I give it a A-. I'm a big fan, and actually not completely turned off by "Lions" on the sleeve (although it would be better without, I admit)

We have a grading scale?!?! I thought I was escaping school being on the boards :wacko:

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'know what, screw you guys, I like the sleeve wordmark. I'm all for a classic team incorporating modern elements, and... let's be real, the Lions haven't looked "classic" since they dropped the Old West-style wordmark.

53Ocz8U.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Guys, I just had a realization....

WHAT IF THE BLUE PANTS RETURN????

You just know it will.

I'd be stunned if they don't have white and blue pants plus silver. 

What is with Nike's obsession with putting wordmarks where they don't belong?

-On the stupid chest stripe for Seattle

-Tramp stamp for Miami

-bucs sleeve wordmark

-"Browns down the leg" and obnoxiously huge Cleveland for the Browns

- and now in the middle of the sleeve stripe for the Lions.

Also they could put massive wordmarks in the middle of the sleeve stripe but not their logo (or put this on the chest) which gives us cut off sleeve stripes.

7 minutes ago, VikWings said:

What is with Nike's obsession with putting wordmarks where they don't belong?

-On the stupid chest stripe for Seattle

-Tramp stamp for Miami

-"Browns down the leg" and obnoxiously huge Cleveland for the Browns

- and now in the middle of the sleeve stripe for the Lions.

Also they could put massive wordmarks in the middle of the sleeve stripe but not their logo (or put this on the chest) which gives us cut off sleeve stripes.

Don't forget the Bucs wordmark on their jersey sleeve!!  

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Regarding the Lions wordmark on the sleeves: It's a given that any newly-designed jersey has to have the team name on it somewhere for marketing purposes. Most teams have chosen to go with a small chest wordmark, like the Lions' current uniforms, the Broncos, the Patriots, the Texans, the 49ers, and many others. But the chest of a uniform gets crowded, with the NFL collar logo, the numbers, and various patches. So although my first reaction is "WTF," I don't mind the sleeve logo as much as I thought I would. Other teams that have done that (Bucs, Seahawks) have been able to avoid cluttering the front of the uniform.

Otherwise, I like it, although I'm worried that they'll produce a uniform that's too bright/saturated, like the current Dolphins' uniform. We already know they're using a brighter blue, and there's a chance that bright blue combined with silver will produce a uniform that's too low-contrast. But I guess we'll see.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

On 3/24/2017 at 4:21 PM, Gupti said:

Not very likely. Colorwerx has already posted the updates to the Lions' color sheets, which reflect a commitment to simply honolulu blue and silver.

2016:

image.png

2017:

image.png

Im not too sure but I believe that if they were going to use chrome that it would be listed here too, as it is in the Bucs sheet.

You're assuming I didn't deliberately leave any colors out...

49 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

Regarding the Lions wordmark on the sleeves: It's a given that any newly-designed jersey has to have the team name on it somewhere for marketing purposes. Most teams have chosen to go with a small chest wordmark, like the Lions' current uniforms, the Broncos, the Patriots, the Texans, the 49ers, and many others. But the chest of a uniform gets crowded, with the NFL collar logo, the numbers, and various patches. So although my first reaction is "WTF," I don't mind the sleeve logo as much as I thought I would. Other teams that have done that (Bucs, Seahawks) have been able to avoid cluttering the front of the uniform.

I get that... teams feel like they have to put the team name on the jersey (very debatable, IMO, but still...) and they're looking for ways to do that that haven't been seen before.  The sleeve is an obvious place... but why does it have to be so friggin' huge.  Is subtlety some sort of crime these days?

Another question is, how is the wordmark and stripe applied?  On last year's jersey, the stripes were knit directly into the fabric (like the Steelers) which is the best looking method IMO. So with this jersey, will the stripe be knit in, with the letters sewn over the top?  Or will the whole design be screened on, which is how teams like the Packers and the Bears apply their stripes.  Or something new?

17 minutes ago, ColorWerx said:

You're assuming I didn't deliberately leave any colors out...

You can't just come in here and drop a bombshell like that.

Oh wait, yes you can :-)

It's where I sit.

14 hours ago, henburg said:

Honestly, it surprises me to see all of the hate that these are getting. Based on what can be seen, it looks like a really solid modern twist on a traditionally-styled uniform. Sometimes it seems like a lot of you guys are really stubborn traditionalists. Design is totally subjective of course, but how exactly does the entire set become a "failure" simply because the wordmark is placed in the sleeve stripe? 

I would argue there isn't a single uni in the NFL that isn't a few tweaks away from being solid... its those obnoxious, heavy-handed, overthought little details that ruin so many unis. Most new designs feel "overbranded," prioritizing marketing opportunities over aesthetics... not to say it makes for bad business, but it bothers the people who care.

Since Nike took over, I have been dreaming about the throwback jersey (my all-time favorite) making a comeback. Every year there was hope, and then disappointment.

As noted by others, it does seem like Stafford is sporting the throwback... If that happens, I will be the happiest man on this forum. I am so excited!! I don't like the "Lions" on the sleeves, but really don't care :-)

Again, this is all speculation since we can't even see the whole set, but from what can be seen this looks to be a pretty conservative set with small pieces of flair like the word mark on the sleeve. Thats why I am confused by people comparing it to the much busier Bucs and Jags (which both sets get too much hate IMO but that's an entirely different discussion). I like that Nike is trying to keep things rooted in the past but also adding touches to make it modern and fresh. I am a detail-oriented person as well, which is why I enjoy this site in the first place. I guess I just don't really see how it's any more stupid or pointless putting a word mark on a sleeve as opposed to a logo other than the fact that we're just not accustomed to seeing it there with most uniforms. It appears to be an interesting added piece of flair that doesn't compromise the stripe, so I don't see anything wrong with it. All that being said, I'll give my full opinion once the complete reveal is done. 

spacer.png

Archived