MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/16/2018 at 8:15 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Rays identity is that of rays of sunshine. They only wear the devil ray animal on their sleeve as a nod to their previous identity. They're not trying to be both. We've already gone over this. Are the A's trying to be elephants because they wear an elephant sleeve patch? It's the same thing. 

This is a bad comparison, The Athletics never went by the name Elephants, while the Rays did went under Devil Rays. So yes the Rays are pretending to be both

I think powder blue and whatever that 1980s Philly color just work really well together.  I wish someone in NHL/NFL/NBA/MLB had it full time.  It would make for a great set of uniforms.  That's why I love that Phillies look, though I can't support the powder-blue era.  If the Phillies would go to that scheme, they could have a nice set.  I don't think they will; I think they're going to be red and white with a royal (?) stars for the long haul.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Nothing like wearing road jerseys that aren't even a team color at home Phillies. 

Fixed it for you.  :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I’m convinced that powder blue became an “team color” for retro merchandise because:

a. Teams like to have a two-color format (plus white) for “vintage” series lines (e.g., Cooperstown Collection), especially if they’re currently rocking a color scheme with two or more shades. When marketing their retro identity, the Phillies made an aesthetically-pleasing (if slightly inaccurate) choice.

b. The Phillies had powder blue road uniforms for the 1980 World Series, one of the brightest moments in team history. Powder blue also accompanied the primes of Steve Carlton and Mike Schmidt. It wasn’t a team color, but it was worn for about half of the games of some of the best Phillies teams in franchise history (as well as some of the worst).

c. Maroon and powder blue look amazing together. Sure, neck-to-calf powder blue might be a bit much, but just having those two colors in the vicinity of each other never fails to look good, with the Avs being a slight exception.

Heck, if the Phillies were to redesign their set, maroon with small powder accents (like the royal in their current uniforms) would be ideal. It might not have been a “team color,” but that doesn’t mean it can’t be made one.

52 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

with the Avs being a slight exception.

Oh it looks great on the Avs - but they do use a darker blue (which decreases the contrast).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Too bad they screwed up the pant stripe on the Phillies powder blues.  Should have extended all the way up instead of ending just under the belt line.  Small details like that drive me nuts.

EDIT: So of course after posting that I find one picture from back then where it didn't extend all the way up.  IMHO the stripe still should have extended all the way.

3 hours ago, tp49 said:

Too bad they screwed up the pant stripe on the Phillies powder blues.  Should have extended all the way up instead of ending just under the belt line.  Small details like that drive me nuts.

EDIT: So of course after posting that I find one picture from back then where it didn't extend all the way up.  IMHO the stripe still should have extended all the way.

yeah that wasn't consistent, but I think when they switched the P to the swirly one in 87 the stripe ran uninterrupted the whole way up.  The swirl P was way superior - it sucks that they weren't allowed to wear it the whole time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/16/2018 at 6:19 PM, Bill81361 said:

Earth Day cap to be worn by the Orioles at home on Sunday, April 22.  The jerseys will also have green accents.

1600x900

Wait what's the point of doing something for earth day? Seems a bit...odd and random. Most people couldn't even tell you when it is. What'll they be wearing for Zebu Appreciation Day?

The earth isn't sentient. It's not going to be upset if it's not honored with a special uniform

https://www.lids.com/new-era/style_mlb-on-field-mesh-back-59fifty-cap

hwl?set=sku%5B20979104%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B1

Could this be a hot day option for on field use?  I mean, it is in the description.  Then again, didn’t see all teams, or more than one on-field style per.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

8 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

https://www.lids.com/new-era/style_mlb-on-field-mesh-back-59fifty-cap

hwl?set=sku%5B20979104%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B1

Could this be a hot day option for on field use?  I mean, it is in the description.  Then again, didn’t see all teams, or more than one on-field style per.

The Reds, or at least Pete Rose, wore mesh back hats on occasion on an individual basis. 

https://goo.gl/images/iaJLHK

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Board is acting up. Trying to post photos of reds wearing the caps but it’s not displaying any regardless of format or source. 

Archived