MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, skip88 said:

Why bother buying a player jersey. Any decent guy is gone before you know it.

As an A's fan since birth, this is 100% correct. If I was to buy one (and I really want to), I would get the Josh Phegley special.

ff_2884180_full.jpg

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

I've always been a defender of the darker forest green, since that's all I've known the A's to wear.

With these uniforms, I take it all back. Kelly green not only works, it's exceptional.

Since Kaval took over, the A's have really been banking on fan service first (off the field, anyway)...with the reception they got with these, I bet they go full kelly green by 2020.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

10 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

As an A's fan since birth, this is 100% correct. If I was to buy one (and I really want to), I would get the Josh Phegley special.

ff_2884180_full.jpg

Exactly,  they got a top 5 look with the white home, the dark green, and now this kelly green.

I want them bad, but after the Cespedes and Donaldson  debacle, i have to decline  :( <_< Pisses me off

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Nice, although given that an entrance song is really about the opening, I'm offended by this guy besmirching one of the best openings in rock history with "Thunderstruck".  Papelbon is a good one.  I'm surprised no one's gone for "Godzilla", "Kashmir", or "Iron Man", which were always my picks for a walkup song.  Although I supposed HidekiMatsui occasionally used "Godzilla".

Also, oops.  It was Billy Wagner that used "Enter Sandman", not Looper.

13 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

It reminds me of the Rockies' switch to a lighter purple, which everyone seemed to love. It seems like the only way MLB would allow colors besides red was if they were pushed to their darkest limits so hopefully this can be a sign that they're lightening up (no pun intended).

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean about red and being pushed.

11 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

ff_2884180_full.jpg

Play it safe.  Eck.  Jackson.  Henderson.  Hunter.  Fingers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

14 hours ago, imawalkingcorpse said:

I really, really like the A's Kelly Green jersey.

I would like to see Kelly Green make a comeback in general, especially for teams that used to use it and then transitioned to a darker green (A's, Eagles).

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Now that's a beautiful top! It's good to see the Oakland script, the all-Kelly cap, and the striping on it. I like that it's got the 1970s color balance as well:

item_83636_2.jpg

I'm glad that the A's have seen the light with Kelly Green and are willing to entertain its usage. I'm not sure it should be full time (they've had the same basic home/road template since 1987, with the current scripts starting in 1993), but I'd love it if it were!

My only complaint is that it doesn't have the elephant on the sleeve. Then again, if it weren't for Connie Mack turning the team into his family's only asset during the 1930s, running the team into the ground as he developed dementia, and creating family squabbles, the team would probably still be in Philadelphia. The elephant may be too "Philadelphia" for the jersey.

The elephant did make a comeback on the '99 TatC jerseys, so while rarely seen, I think the A's do still keep the elephant around. The issue isn't so much location centric, as I think historic: how many people today know what the elephant means?

15 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Brewer fan here. Got it immediately following his 2 years here.

Yeah that's my point.  He never really accomplished anything from a team perspective, having only made it deep in the playoffs in '98 (and not having any impact in the WS), so he was never really on a national stage.  If you weren't the type to go out of your way to watch other games, or watch your team on TV when they played against SD (and granted, many people probably did), it's not immediate.  

But as I mentioned, it's not designed for people like me - it's designed for his fans, all of whom "get it", so that's what matters.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

32 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I think the A's do still keep the elephant around. The issue isn't so much location centric, as I think historic: how many people today know what the elephant means?

Um, the elephant features on the sleeve of their primary uniforms. 

19 hours ago, The Golden One said:

A's says Oakland just because their 50th anv in Oakland..

I feel like with the Raiders & Warriors both on their way out of Oakland, it makes sense for the A's to push the city name on the jerseys.

The last two times the A's had some kind of anniversary, they introduced a new jersey for that season. 

When celebrating 100 years of the whole franchise, they had these for the 2000 season. 

vOvIbTw.jpg

Then in 2008, celebrating 40 years, they had these.

rWDUHhM.jpg

So an anniversary jersey was expected but so glad it isn't black again. 

Go A's!

The 2018 "Clubhouse" hats are out at a couple of non-major sports shops.  The last couple years these hats featured a lot of throwback logos (and last year's hats were incredibly comfortable). This year they went simple w/plastic outline. Not bad, but not awesome.

https://bleacherbumcollectibles.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/mens-toronto-blue-jays-new-era-2018-mlb-clubhouse-39thirty-team-colour-hat-multiple-sizes

https://www.sportscityhats.com/search?page=2&q=2018+clubhouse+39thirty

352264386829-0_1024x1024.jpg?v=151691167

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

When I heard that that A's were getting a Kelly jersey, that sounded great.  But after seeing it, it's a bit to bright for my taste.  I wish it was just a bit darker. 

I think I like their forest green better.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived