MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

8 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I remember getting the Tigers cap and being pretty unhappy because the black sweatband and tags looked cheap and the material felt weird. I've pulled a total 180 since and LOVE the US made poly caps now because it's far superior to the old wool caps. That Cardinals cap shrunk and hasn't fit me in years, while I still wear the Tigers cap every now and then. 

Yeah I remember feeling that New Era was trying to fix something that wasn’t broken. That opinion changed as soon as I had to replace my wool Cards cap because it had shrunken down. The poly is the superior product. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been a week and I’m still pissed about the Tigers change. If they HAD to unify the logos, they should have picked the jersey D over the hat D, because 1) the jersey D has a historical precedent of being on the cap and 2) the jersey D looks better on the cap than the hat D looks on the jersey (too right-heavy of a design to be placed on the left chest).

1913_Ty_Cobb_portrait_photo.png

IMG_4542_600x.progressive.jpg?v=15127533

...and this is just silly looking:

tigers_caps.jpg

The enlarged D is only silly because it's new, and you're looking at it side-by-side with the old one.  It's more in-line with the size of most cap logos, and while I personally prefer the small one as well, I probably wouldn't have noticed the change without a side by side.

I'm with you on the D though - shoulda kept the jersey one.  Felt that way at first, still do.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Dugout jackets come to mind - in the 1990s teams started introducing the next season’s jackets in the playoffs.

Dugout jackets, the therma-base fleece pullovers, the short-lived caps with the winter fold down ear muffs.  There are numerous examples.  I'd need video to start going back and citing specific years, but I've noticed this going back at least a decade.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh geez. False. I'm a die hard fan since day one and am still here along with many others. Don't make assumptions based on overreacting casual fans on social media. 

I am sure Derek Jeter will be very happy to hear that.

Bet he will be in attendance several times during the season, while watching Stanton and  the Yankees play on his phone :)

On 2/3/2018 at 5:15 PM, skip88 said:

I am sure Derek Jeter will be very happy to hear that.

Bet he will be in attendance several times during the season, while watching Stanton and  the Yankees play on his phone :)

I don't care what he's watching on his phone. I'm sure he's better than our last owner and I'm willing to wait and see what he does with my team because we need a fresh start even if it needs a fire sale to get on the right track. But you're not a Marlins fan so what's it matter to you? Don't like what Jeter is doing? Then don't watch. I'll be watching. 

20 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't care what he's watching on his phone. I'm sure he's better than our last owner and I'm willing to wait and see what he does with my team because we need a fresh start even if it needs a fire sale to get on the right track. But you're not a Marlins so what's it matter to you? Don't like what Jeter is doing? Then don't watch. I'll be watching. 

Awesome, looks like Jeter was right. Hope you still can get good seats  :)

Marlins have only worn MLB franchise throwbacks once back in 2007. I'm really excited about what they have planned for this season-- besides losing 100 games. I suspect we'll see the teal hats on the field a few times and something from the 1997 and 2003 set. 

Perhaps a hint as to how the new regime will move the franchise forward aesthetically? 

1997 | 2003

2 hours ago, marlinfan said:

Marlins have only worn MLB franchise throwbacks once back in 2007. I'm really excited about what they have planned for this season-- besides losing 100 games. I suspect we'll see the teal hats on the field a few times and something from the 1997 and 2003 set. 

Perhaps a hint as to how the new regime will move the franchise forward aesthetically? 

They also did it in 2013 and again in 2014 

1 hour ago, marlinfan said:

2001 and/or 2002 - 1986 Miami Marlins home and away uniforms.

2007 - 1997 Marlins home sleeveless uniform.

2013 - Satchel Paige era Miami Marlins road uniforms.

2014 - 1940s Miami Sun Sox road uniforms.

Correct.

But just to clarify, the first one was in 2002 and they said they were 1982 throwbacks and the 2013 ones were from 1956. 

On 2/3/2018 at 2:14 PM, GFB said:

It has been a week and I’m still pissed about the Tigers change. If they HAD to unify the logos, they should have picked the jersey D over the hat D, because 1) the jersey D has a historical precedent of being on the cap and 2) the jersey D looks better on the cap than the hat D looks on the jersey (too right-heavy of a design to be placed on the left chest).

1913_Ty_Cobb_portrait_photo.png

IMG_4542_600x.progressive.jpg?v=15127533

...and this is just silly looking:

tigers_caps.jpg

Honestly, I've found the shrinking D to be silly for so long. The new cap looks awesome in comparison. The old D might have looked better on the jersey, but unifying the look will probably be for the best long term.

Archived