49 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

The Seattle Pilots

I believe that this name has some Seattle history (an old baseball team?).

You are correct.

To the extent it matters for your purposes, the baseball team tried to incorporate both the maritime and aviation meanings of "pilot"  (see logo below).

Pilots_logo_1969.JPG

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, leopard88 said:

You are correct.

To the extent it matters for your purposes, the baseball team tried to incorporate both the maritime and aviation meanings of "pilot"  (see logo below).

Pilots_logo_1969.JPG

Thanks leopard...I never would have thought of "Pilots" in a nautical sense...interesting...

10 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

Yeah I have to agree with you, I like the single color better. Could be good with a subtle background, like make the main S off white and leave the background brown

You are right-on, surfer...the off-white "S" on a brown background does look pretty good...

RJDOgvV.jpg

...on the uniform  however, the one-colour looked a little dull. I found that the black outline was needed to make the logo pop a bit and to "match" the striping...

so I simplified the logo (and the unis)...I also gave the home guy a brown helmet...

Z9bvla9.jpg

9 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Thanks leopard...I never would have thought of "Pilots" in a nautical sense...interesting...

The uniforms were actually a little more "nautical", with captains' stripes and "scrambled eggs" on the cap.

co_lg.jpgs-l300.jpg

1969-pilots2.jpg?w=640Marshallsea2.jpgDSC_0386.JPG

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Love everything so far! That one-color Pilots S looks so good on its own that I think the outline takes away from it. It would work as a stencil, so I can see it painted onto an old military plane. Not sure if this sort of imagery works into the Seattle area at all, and it would necessitate a color change, but maybe it's worth looking into? I'd love to see it explored. A couple grays and navy maybe?

I'm a big fan of everything you're doing and the extra work you do really helps sell your concepts and cement them in reality. Keep it up!

37 minutes ago, eRay said:

That one-color Pilots S looks so good on its own that I think the outline takes away from it. It would work as a stencil, so I can see it painted onto an old military plane.

A couple grays and navy maybe?

I agree with you eRay...as much as I try, the single colour "S" looks better than an outlined "S"...and it does have that "aircraft stencil" feel to it. I'll work on it. Thanks.

On 2018-02-13 at 10:24 AM, eRay said:

...would work as a stencil, so I can see it painted onto an old military plane.

nH0todZ.jpg

I think that the key to keeping the "stencil" look, while adding another colour (black), is to have the "S" on a background rather than outlined.

Also...I have 3 white stripes separated by black in the logo. That striping pattern was called "invasion striping" and used by the allies during the war...

4RTTYKK.jpg

So I took the shoulder striping off and put "invasion striping" on the arms...

xrkXIhi.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone...Putting the "Pilots" aside for now, and moving on to the "EverGreens"...

On 2018-02-15 at 7:11 PM, B-mer said:

I think I like this last pilots jersey the best. 

Yeah B-mer...I'm happy with the latest version...I'll have the away uni up soon. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Section30 said:

Nothing at all to complain about, every update just makes already incredible designs better. Keep it up, loving this thread

I appreciate that, 30...The C&C's been great and helps me in the development.

Seattle Evergreens

...A bit of a late-comer to the Battle. I wasn't fussy on the name to start, but it's kinda grown on me. It'll probably get shortened to "'Greens", as in "GO Greens GO"...but that's OK. The primary is fairly straight-forward. I thought I'd have a bit o' fun in the secondaries with a couple of cartoon characters..."Twig-With-A-Twig" and "SQUIRREL!" (maybe potential mascots). SQUIRREL!'s tail forms an "S"...

pKVAlUx.jpg

I know...yet another green uniform...but ya gotta go green with "Evergreens". Colours are silver, white and shades of green. I thought that "Evergreens" would also suit a plaid-style look, but I used a different pattern than i used with the "Sawbucks". The idea was to have 3 brighter lines on the arms to tie in with the logo's letter "E"...

Kq2cJAW.jpg

ThelJJp.jpg

15 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

I like the squirrel better than the branch guy. Looks really retro cool. Like early 70s Hannah-Barbara. I know it’s mixing eras, but you could do a faux back in the style of those old Arthur Evans collegiate mascot logos from back in the day.

That'd be a great idea for an alt. I'll try that in the 3rd uni round... ren did a great job reworking a lot of Evans' work.

14 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

The branch guy would work better on a non-green background. As of now, it's a little hard to differentiate and makes it a little confusing.

I'll keep that in mind, Jake...He'll be showing up again...

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I'd prefer the squirrel secondary as the primary. It seems to flow a lot easier than the ?E

I prefer it too, but It seems that "cartoony" logos are considered more "minor-league-ish". Would the Penguins have the only cartoon logo in the NHL? (after the Ducks changed their primary). The squirrel will show up on the alts.

A quick re-cap... at about the halfway point of the "logo-and-uni" chapter of the Battle...

sIhVpiq.jpg 

uCmTa6p.jpg

This is a gorgeous series. I'm partial to the Sawbucks logo, but I do think the sound of the name is a little too minor-league. (On the plus side, it has a lot more character than "Golden Knights!). But that Bucks identity is fantastic, with the logging +wildlife imagery.  None of the others are bad, but I think that one is most excellent logo + secondary.

Archived