Milkman14

8 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

jimPalmer_1.jpg

Excellent job finding that photo.

Similarly for the Orioles:

baltimore-orioles-jose-bautista-451-rook

to

90cripkenfss.jpg

was a great upgrade, but the Orioles made too many adjustments with the standing oriole, and going back to cartoon bird was a good choice.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe the Flames went three seasons without a red jersey.  Their new dark uniform for 2003 brought it back just in time for their return to success and remains the best they've ever looked (in my humble opinion of course).

ZwjnueJ.jpg

Qy6chLH.jpg

2 hours ago, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

From this 

al_1981_chicago.gif

to this

al_1982_chicago.gif

to this

al_1988_chicago.gif

and finally to this

al_1991_chicago.gif

Agreed on all of those.  I had never really thought of the evolution of CHW's "recent" identities, but they really seem to have upgraded each time. 

Their current identity has really stood the test of time well.  I think their current identity looks so timeless that if you had told me that their current identity had been one they used for the past 100 years, I would believe you, and yet at the same time it still looks great today.  You definitely could not say that for any of the other looks.   

1 hour ago, SCalderwood said:

Agreed on all of those.  I had never really thought of the evolution of CHW's "recent" identities, but they really seem to have upgraded each time. 

Their current identity has really stood the test of time well.  I think their current identity looks so timeless that if you had told me that their current identity had been one they used for the past 100 years, I would believe you, and yet at the same time it still looks great today.  You definitely could not say that for any of the other looks.   

Up until recently I thought it was one of those 100 year looks.

3 minutes ago, Weapon X said:

Up until recently I thought it was one of those 100 year looks.

The current look can basically be traced back to the late 1940s, but there was the dark period with Bill Veeck's pajama uniforms, shorts, huge collars, disco demolition, MLB Logo Man and more before they finally went back to the current look. 

So while it's not one of baseball's historic unis, it's at least a modern classic.

The logos match on their home and road jerseys for the first time in 10 years.  The scenery-bear should have never been shackled to a roundel in the first place.

OL6e2Km.jpg

gJRCHN6.jpg

14 hours ago, Lights Out said:

And still a downgrade from these classics:

I don't know about that, though they were certainly beautiful uniforms. 

On 4/6/2018 at 2:45 PM, Wizza said:

You could say the upgrade was pretty gaudy  but at least the Bengals finally had a look they could call their own. 

See the source image

See the source image

Looking at this from an impartial perspective, and ignoring the "upgrade by going back to something that worked before" model a lot have mentioned here, I can point to this change as the best upgrade by any franchise, in any sport, in any era.

When it came out in 1981 (or '82, whichever season works out to Super Bowl XVI; I give up on keeping track), it was immediately seen as completely revolutionary, yet a tremendous upgrade in the team's uniform and overall identity.  I remember the NBC Nightly News doing an entire segment on this new look - and back then kids, ESPN and CNN were both in diapers, so that kind of coverage for anything sports related (a piece on an upcoming Super Bowl or World Series might merit a 5-minute "C" slot segment in a 30 minute newscast back then) - let alone something as theretofore 'meaningless' as a uniform change - was simply incredible.

What's sad about this look is that it could have been the Bengals original look back in (if memory serves) 1968.  Paul Brown rejected it on several occasions before (for some reason) relenting prior to the 1981 (or 82, whatever) season.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:38 AM, Tigers6884 said:

jimPalmer_1.jpg

4943065447719c1c7f3512dc29194e5a.jpg

I'd actually never seen that top "ORIOLES" uniform before, at least not in a photo.  The hat change was an upgrade, but I'll be honest, I've never cared all that much for what's perceived now as "the Oriole look."  I prefer the older look in this instance.

nav-logo.png

Archived