2018 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There were roughing the passers on both sides that were absurd, a hold-ish one that negated a big play that didn't need to be called, roughing the kicker that was unnecessary, adn it got to the point where everyone's looking at the area of the screen where the "flag" indication is rather than the actual play.

This has been my bone with the NFL for the last decade-ish years. I can never trust that a play will hold up because everything is dependent on a flag or a review and therefore the action isn't what's happened on the field, the action is 15-20 seconds after the play watching the officials and watching the TV replay to make sure it's legit. A team scores and I see a million idiots jumping around and celebrating while I'm waiting for the 50/50 chance there was a penalty flag or that it wasn't actually a catch or whatever. Every play is rendered inherently anti-climactic. All I do is watch the scorebug for yellow flags. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This has been my bone with the NFL for the last decade-ish years. I can never trust that a play will hold up because everything is dependent on a flag or a review and therefore the action isn't what's happened on the field, the action is 15-20 seconds after the play watching the officials and watching the TV replay to make sure it's legit. A team scores and I see a million idiots jumping around and celebrating while I'm waiting for the 50/50 chance there was a penalty flag or that it wasn't actually a catch or whatever. Every play is rendered inherently anti-climactic. All I do is watch the scorebug for yellow flags. 

When a receiver has a long catch and is running toward the end zone, it's really sad that the announcers have to say "no flags." Football wasn't always like this; I don't remember penalties being a third (or more) of the game when I was a kid. Is this a result of high-def cameras?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

When a receiver has a long catch and is running toward the end zone, it's really sad that the announcers have to say "no flags." Football wasn't always like this; I don't remember penalties being a third (or more) of the game when I was a kid. Is this a result of high-def cameras?

Referees use their own eyes when they throw a flag, so no.  Maybe they're afraid their calls will be scruitinzed more due to high-def replays, but I don't think so.  I just think they're trained to call everything they see, whether or not it had any impact at all on the play, and there's far too many judgement calls that can't be reviewed.

Also, I'm all for player safety, but some of these roughing calls are absurd and change the outcomes of games when there's literally nothing the offending player can do about it.  Even where I was watching the game, half the place was groaning when a Falcon got called for one, even though it benefited the Eagles.  Being a good team doesn't matter anymore - the game is decided by the third team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Referees use their own eyes when they throw a flag, so no.  Maybe they're afraid their calls will be scruitinzed more due to high-def replays, but I don't think so.  I just think they're trained to call everything they see, whether or not it had any impact at all on the play, and there's far too many judgement calls that can't be reviewed.

Also, I'm all for player safety, but some of these roughing calls are absurd and change the outcomes of games when there's literally nothing the offending player can do about it.  Even where I was watching the game, half the place was groaning when a Falcon got called for one, even though it benefited the Eagles.  Being a good team doesn't matter anymore - the game is decided by the third team. 

That's what I was going for. The refs know everything is going to be scrutinized to absurdity, so they're more trigger happy than they otherwise would be. But calling everything makes sense too. It also makes for a worse product.

Game 1: NFL sucks :(

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm pretty sure Nathan Peterman is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Today's going to be ugly for the Bills. And by today, I mean the next 17 years.

Nathan Peterman has blackmail on the Bills’ coaching staff right? 

That’s the only way this makes sense.

Also LOL FITZMAGIC 

It’s amazing how much better the Bucs’ offence is with Fitzpatrick over Winston. 

Just saw the end of the Minnesota vs 49ers game.  I thought I was watching an outdoor game - the lighting in that stadium looks great during day games.  Wish there was a way to make a stadium like that but have the glass be retractable so you could have the best of both worlds, but if you absolutely have to have a roof, that's definitely the new standard.  Someone tell their owner Nick Foles that they did a great job there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

55 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

The Bills are probably as inept an organization as there is in footb... All of sports.

Josh Allen has looked really good and Nathan Peterman has looked really bad but I think the Ravens defense would’ve made a punching bag out of whoever started this game so it was probably a better move to let Peterman take the brunt of it. 

spacer.png

Archived