2018 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/22/2018 at 3:52 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

He always had sunglasses on, even indoors. I actually liked that about him because it was always a "lol wut" moment.

I believe the reason for the sunglasses were because as a teenager he got hot grease in his eyes while working a fryer. 

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

More like offseason news, but whatevs.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/7/24/17608468/los-angeles-rams-todd-gurley-contract-extension-sign-transactions

Rams extend Gurley, making him the highest paid RB in the league.

Smart move for the Rams because 1) this locks him down until age 29, 2) blows up the FA RB market over the next year or two, but dicks over everyone else worse because now they have to top this contract. 3) Keeps them from having to pay off of what somebody else is making.

Also rumors are floating around that the reason the Rams are announcing this is that they've basically got a deal hammered out with Aaron Donald, they're just waiting on Mack to sign to set the actual dollar amount.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

11 hours ago, rams80 said:

Also rumors are floating around that the reason the Rams are announcing this is that they've basically got a deal hammered out with Aaron Donald, they're just waiting on Mack to sign to set the actual dollar amount.

If so then that team is scary good for the foreseeable future.

spacer.png

Welp, looks like it might be high time for this Seahawk fan to enjoy basically becoming the Rams' bottom bitch for the next... oh, 5-10 years now that they have Gurley locked up and possibly Donald too.

At this time last year, most people thought Gurley couldn’t stay healthy and Goff was a bust. Putting all that salary cap money into a RB and (phenomenal) DT will either be brilliant when it works or it will look really dumb if it doesn’t.

I like most of the things the Rams have done this offseason, but I think it’s just as likely that the team struggles/implodes (whether by injuries or attitude or lack of chemistry) to everything clicking and they go 14-2. Most likely, they’ll finish a game or two ahead of the 49ers and Seahawks and finish 2nd or 3rd in the NFC.

Well then:

I assume it's more of a players association rights deal (i.e., his name is in the game, they'd have to pay him for it) than it is censoring Colin Kaepernick. But still. Not a great look.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This season is breaking last season's record, which broke the previous season's record, which broke the previous season's record, for least excited I've ever been for an upcoming NFL season. 

The anthem issue couldn't have been handled any worse. The only thing handled worse than the anthem stuff are the new tackling rules. The new tackling rules are going to be a complete :censored:ing mess, called with zero consistency play-to-play, game-to-game, or team-to-team, and we're all going to hate it. Did you read about how the teams have been given presentations from the officials on what to expect? The players are more confused than they were before the demonstration and the officials really have no idea what is and isn't a penalty or how to call the new rule. It's going to be a :censored:ing disaster. They finally fixed the dumb AF catch rule only to turn around and make the tackling version of the catch rule. Nobody was asking for it, it won't actually help player safety, it'll affect way more plays than the catch rule, and requires even more speedy subjective, judgment call officiating. At least you could review the catch rule.  Also keep an eye on who leads the league in fewest illegal hit penalties for their defense and who draws the most flags while on offense. I bet you at the end of the year the answer rhymes with :censored:tttspurgh peelers or boo shmengland shmatriots.

I'm basically done. If you went up to 15 Year Old Me and said "in fifteen years 30 Year Old You is not only not going to care about what happens on the field, but you'll also actively loathe the sport" you would have shocked me to my core. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Well then:

I assume it's more of a players association rights deal (i.e., his name is in the game, they'd have to pay him for it) than it is censoring Colin Kaepernick. But still. Not a great look.

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

Did anyone bother to watch the HoF game? Cause I sure didn’t. 

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Truth be told, I didn't even know it was on.

What the what? That was today??

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

This season is breaking last season's record, which broke the previous season's record, which broke the previous season's record, for least excited I've ever been for an upcoming NFL season. 

The anthem issue couldn't have been handled any worse. The only thing handled worse than the anthem stuff are the new tackling rules. The new tackling rules are going to be a complete :censored:ing mess, called with zero consistency play-to-play, game-to-game, or team-to-team, and we're all going to hate it. Did you read about how the teams have been given presentations from the officials on what to expect? The players are more confused than they were before the demonstration and the officials really have no idea what is and isn't a penalty or how to call the new rule. It's going to be a :censored:ing disaster. They finally fixed the dumb AF catch rule only to turn around and make the tackling version of the catch rule. Nobody was asking for it, it won't actually help player safety, it'll affect way more plays than the catch rule, and requires even more speedy subjective, judgment call officiating. At least you could review the catch rule.  Also keep an eye on who leads the league in fewest illegal hit penalties for their defense and who draws the most flags while on offense. I bet you at the end of the year the answer rhymes with :censored:tttspurgh peelers or boo shmengland shmatriots.

I'm basically done. If you went up to 15 Year Old Me and said "in fifteen years 30 Year Old You is not only not going to care about what happens on the field, but you'll also actively loathe the sport" you would have shocked me to my core. 

I'm the same age and all I can think about after reading your post is how much of a die-hard NFL fan I was back in high school. I could remember a time where I would be so excited just waiting for training camp to start. The game has just changed so much in the last 10 years, it's starting to become unrecognizable. We're pretty much a year away from seeing kickoffs eliminated entirely. The kid in me who used to love watching Dante Hall making those unreal kick returns, or seeing Devin Hester return a kick back for a touchdown to start off Super Bowl XLI, would be so disappointed to find out that plays like this will someday no longer exist.

I watched a little bit of the HOF game, and the new tackle rule is so ridiculously stupid that it might top the old catch rule for "worst idea ever". They basically outlawed any physical contact by a defensive player. Even when you try and avoid helmet-to-helmet contact, you're going to get flagged. Even when you lead with a shoulder while making a tackle, you're going to get flagged. It's basically impossible to make a tackle without making a little bit of helmet contact on some part of the ball-carrier's body, even if it's just a graze of the facemask. This rule will be an unmitigated disaster when the regular season rolls around.

Still I always like watching even a bit of the Hall of Fame game because FUHBAWL IZ BACH, but yeah I had zero idea that that was yesterday.

Complete lack of promotion across my area of the internet.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:05 PM, McCarthy said:

I'm not quite to the point you are, but FWIW, this is the first season in at least 10 years that I didn't order NFL Sunday Ticket. 

With regard to the new tackling rule: It's going to cost some teams some games. Officials are going to call it at the worst possible time, they're going to call it incorrectly, and they're going to end up screwing someone out of a win, a playoff spot, etc. As always, the usual suspects will benefit from this stupid rule. I'm betting the two teams that rhyme with the ones you mentioned will get at minimum a win each out of the new tackling rules. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived