2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Oilers have Connor McDavid and were within one game of the conference finals as recently as 2017. What the hell happened between then and now? 

Exactly, they have Connor McDavid, that's all they have.

Drive for five..... Shots to my head

With the Seats burning at Citi ahead

*yawn*

What's that? There was an NHL Skills Competition tonight? Must've missed it.

I mean there were guys on skates and in uniforms on the ice, but I don't think they did anything.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 1/24/2019 at 1:31 PM, McCarthy said:

The Oilers have Connor McDavid and were within one game of the conference finals as recently as 2017. What the hell happened between then and now? 

Peter Chiarelli happened.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That season was the outlier, not all the ones surrounding it. Talbot’s not as good as he showed that season (not 100% on him with that D/depth though) and that’s a big part. Even when his numbers are decent he lets in those bad or leaky goals that kill you and has a horrible tendency to allow the first shot of the game to get by him. 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Will/should the success of women in the skills competition lead to women in the NHL full-time?

Is this a real question? As bass ackward as hockey can be, I feel like if the women were up to it, there'd be players catching on in a league like the SPHL or ECHL and working their way up if they were successful. With 20 years of women's hockey in the Olympics and multiple years of multiple professional women's leagues to showcase the game, is it really possible in 2019 that a pool of NHL talent is being ignored because of cooties?

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Will/should the success of women in the skills competition lead to women in the NHL full-time?

No, even the the best women’s players would get demolished by the men. I don’t even think they could have been able to play in the AHL even.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:19 PM, Cosmic said:

Is this a real question? As bass ackward as hockey can be, I feel like if the women were up to it, there'd be players catching on in a league like the SPHL or ECHL and working their way up if they were successful. With 20 years of women's hockey in the Olympics and multiple years of multiple professional women's leagues to showcase the game, is it really possible in 2019 that a pool of NHL talent is being ignored because of cooties?

some Social Justice Twitter-poisoned Blackhawks blogger wrote this:

– Kendall Coyne Schofield is less than one second slower than Connor Mc-:censored:ing-David. Brianna Decker was the best of the best among passers at the NHL All Star Game by more than three seconds—and if you’re taking the NHL’s word that her time was “unofficial” and that her “real time” was slower than Draisaitl, I don’t know what to tell you. This is a league that doesn’t know what goaltender interference is and can’t get goal calls right with all their technology, and now, you want me to believe they know what they’re doing? Anyway, with the league kind of moving toward more skill and speed, you wonder which team is going to give a woman her shot to play in the NHL first.

Think of it this way: If an amateur male hockey player did what Coyne Schofield or Decker—both Olympic gold medal winners—did, front offices would be busting down the gates, right now, to talk to that player about playing in the NHL, or at least getting a try out. There wouldn’t be angst about, for instance, Decker not getting paid prize money, because that amateur guy would likely have a league-minimum contract (currently, $650,000) in front of him by the end of the week.

The NHL took a step in the right direction by letting Coyne Schofield and Decker show off their skills, which are objectively impressive regardless of the context. I very much liked that and would like to see even more of that, by which I mean I would like to see skilled and successful women playing hockey in the NHL in real games throughout the season. I would rather give someone like Coyne Schofield or Decker a look over someone like current Chris Kunitz, Ryan Reaves, or any of the other trash pail assclowns front offices try to trick us into thinking are hockey players today. That they—along with Fast and Johnston—got money to donate to charities, endorsements from adidas, and a chance to show their stuff is awesome, and I want to see more of that. Getting to watch skilled hockey players who aren’t in the NHL upstage hockey players who are in the NHL is 100% my jam.

I’m sure there will always be concern trolls wringing their sticky hands over “What happens when a woman takes a hit from Tom Wilson?” or “How will women cope with the way hockey players act around each other?” or whatever other socially inept excuse they want to peddle to cover for their disdain of women. I do not give a single lingering :censored: about what those people think at all. If a hockey player is as talented as Coyne Schofield or Decker proved to be (once again) on one of the most-watched hockey stages around, the question shouldn’t be, “But how can a woman fit into a real game?” It should be, “How can we get this talent on the ice?”

Ain’t no one worried about how Alex DeBrincat will deal with a hit. And if your behavior around “the guys” is so reprehensible as to draw questions about how women would “cope with it,” then fix your :censored:ing behavior. There’s too much talent at risk to waste time fostering whatever illusions these hockey-playing hayseeds have about their masculinity.

Still, I’ll move forward with cautious optimism that the NHL will keep showing us the best Women’s Hockey has to offer until the league takes the logical next step and offers it themselves.

Chris Kunitz is completely useless, of course, but that probably just means AHL or European players should have his roster spot, not Brianna Decker. The women's national teams should continue to be in the skills competition, though, why not, good attraction for an event that needs it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

some Social Justice Twitter-poisoned Blackhawks blogger wrote this:

Chris Kunitz is completely useless, of course, but that probably just means AHL or European players should have his roster spot, not Brianna Decker. The women's national teams should continue to be in the skills competition, though, why not, good attraction for an event that needs it.

I'm also blown away by what the women accomplished at the skills competition, but I really think it would have happened already if it were possible. In addition to the ECHL and SPHL that I mentioned before, you also have multiple hockey countries outside of NA with possibly different attitudes and their own multiple levels of competition where it could/should have happened already.

It's kind of a fallacy to connect isolated tricks like skating a lap around the rink with playing five-on-five, anyway. Being impressed with pure speed in and of itself is how we fooled ourselves into thinking Viktor Stalberg was any good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In 2011, the Ducks went on a 2-14-4 stretch with the last loss coming against the Maple Leafs, and after a win against Montreal in their next game, the Ducks fired Randy Carlyle.

In 2019, the Ducks are on a 2-14-4 stretch with their latest loss coming against the Maple Leafs, and the Ducks are in Montreal for their next game tonight.

Your move, Bob Murray. (He won't.)

On 2/5/2019 at 11:51 AM, Still MIGHTY said:

In 2011, the Ducks went on a 2-14-4 stretch with the last loss coming against the Maple Leafs, and after a win against Montreal in their next game, the Ducks fired Randy Carlyle.

In 2019, the Ducks are on a 2-14-4 stretch with their latest loss coming against the Maple Leafs, and the Ducks are in Montreal for their next game tonight.

Your move, Bob Murray. (He won't.)

LOL.

2-15-4.

Outscored 27-6 in their last five games, all losses. Third 5+ game losing streak this season.

BUT NOPE. DEFINITELY NOT RANDY'S FAULT. THOSE DARN PLAYERS AND THEIR NOT-STEPPING-UPNESS.

Archived