Throwback Jerseys to Prior Franchise Cities

kimball

Not sure either the Eagles or Heat count here, considering neither has played anywhere else (not counting the Steagles season), and in the Heat's case, they're not remotely the same franchise as the Floridians.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Not sure either the Eagles or Heat count here, considering neither has played anywhere else (not counting the Steagles season), and in the Heat's case, they're not remotely the same franchise as the Floridians.

Agreed.  The Heat/Floridians one doesn't fit these criteria, since they're not throwing back to an old city.

I'm not sure the Yellow Jackets one does either, since Frankford is a neighborhood in Philadelphia.  So the Philadelphia Eagles were throwing back to Philadelphia.  It;'s not like the Detroit Lions throwing back to Portsmouth, Ohio, or the Bears doing a Decatur throwback game.

As mentioned in the OP, the Arizona Cardinals did a Chicago throwback in 1994.  Two of them, in fact, home and road uniforms.

BuddyRyan2_MA3-620x310.jpg8026617111_22c3b67bf4_o.pngvlcsnap-2016-02-28-12h10m54s771.png

Philadelphia 76ers as the Syracuse Nationals

Does the Golden State Warriors wearing San Francisco Warriors count too? Kinda, sorta, I guess?

AllenIverson_295_050103.jpg

San Antonio Spurs as the Dallas Chaparrals

SIDE NOTE: It's too bad that these matchups between former ABA teams aren't played with a red,white and blue ball. Something I know that happened a few times in the early-mid(ish) 90s.

a37fce028fa4e75b0d8c75ec523e790d.jpg

The Sacramento Kings as the Rochester Royals

They did this a couple of times. I believe the white home ones were the season they were flirting with moving to Anaheim as the Anaheim Royals.

beno-udrih-and-francisco-garcia-of-the-s

SacramentoKingsAP558124238803.jpg

and ...

Sacramento Kings as the Cincinnati Royals

AAFX007.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Just now, kimball said:

San Antonio Spurs as the Dallas Chaparrals

SIDE NOTE: It's too bad that these matchups between former ABA teams aren't played with a red,white and blue ball. Something I know that happened a few times in the early-mid(ish) 90s.

a37fce028fa4e75b0d8c75ec523e790d.jpg

SHAZAM! I found one.

Preseason 1997 in a game between the Magic and Spurs to celebrate the ABA's 30th anniversary. Why against the Spurs and Magic? Especially in Orlando? I have NOOOOO idea, especially considering the Floridians never played regional games in Orlando (that I am aware of). But, there's a Nuggets game in the mid-90s that I am sure used an ABA ball as well?

anfernee-hardaway-of-the-orlando-magic-s

Anyways, that was a nice tangent. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

19 hours ago, kimball said:

SHAZAM! I found one.

Preseason 1997 in a game between the Magic and Spurs to celebrate the ABA's 30th anniversary. Why against the Spurs and Magic? Especially in Orlando? I have NOOOOO idea, especially considering the Floridians never played regional games in Orlando (that I am aware of). But, there's a Nuggets game in the mid-90s that I am sure used an ABA ball as well?

1997 was the 30th anniversary of the ABA, so it was probably a league-wide thing for at least a preseason game or two. Also, I bet somebody was selling those balls.

20 hours ago, kimball said:

SHAZAM! I found one.

This blew my mind. I never thought that the ABA Ball was ever used in an actual NBA game.

bSLCtu2.png

The Eagles were not throwing back to Frankford. Different franchises, different teams, just same city. Eagles orig colors were the same as Frankford’s, that’s all. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t know if I’d call preseason “an actual” game.  

Was it ever used in the season?

Not that I have found researching around. The only time I know this happened was during this game and 1 or 2 preseason games around 1993/94. 

kimball banner.png

Yeah, 1994-95 preseason, the ABA ball was used by the Nuggets and Pacers for an ABA throwback game. Got pictures of the unis, but I've never seen a colour pic of game action showing the ball in use.

I believe there was some talk about potentially using the ABA ball in one of the games of the '03 Finals, the first to feature 2 ABA teams - that was shot down fairly quickly, although the Nets did receive permission to wear the throwback unis .

1 hour ago, BShaw20 said:

Yea and the Lakers wore the MPLS in Minneapolis vs the Wolves, too. Arts there other teams that did that, maybe the Atlanta Braves wore Boston Braves in Fenway?

That would be something, if the Braves have worn throwbacks not only to each of their former home, but in each of their former homes. 

9 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

Yea and the Lakers wore the MPLS in Minneapolis vs the Wolves, too. Arts there other teams that did that, maybe the Atlanta Braves wore Boston Braves in Fenway?

The Orioles wore St. Louis Browns uniforms in their first visit to St. Louis.

cropped_Baltimore_St_Louis.jpg

I think the A's wore Philadelphia A's uniforms the first time they visited the Phillies. But I cannot find confirmation of this.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 9/30/2018 at 6:08 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I think the A's wore Philadelphia A's uniforms the first time they visited the Phillies. But I cannot find confirmation of this.

I know they did, I think THIS picture is from the game, but it could be one from Fenway when they played the Red Sox? Either way, I'm looking for confirmation as well, but I know it happened.

dm_120502_mlb_oakland_redsox.jpg

kimball banner.png

Don't know if this counts, since technically it was a "merge", but in the AFL the Brisbane Lions occasionally wear Fitzroy jumpers.

21lk8c9.jpg&hash=5d09672ea902372a3813168

I guess you could say the Sydney Swans have also worn a couple guernseys based on South Melbourne designs, so that would count too.

20150731_parkerguerns_p.jpg  34f3533d5f65a0e4b2c2c4b5337e1b07?width=6

Archived