2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

His RAR, oWAR, and Rrep have all been rapidly improving over the past few years, which proves that Bautista is becoming more and more of a true offensive threat each year. Also, a lot of his value stats have been mediocre-to-bad because he has spent the majority of his career on :censored:ty noncontenders like the O's and Pirates. The Jays at least have winning records pretty much every year even though they can't get past the Sox, Yanks, and Rays. Let's see what kind of value he adds next year before we pass judgement.

Point is, regression to the mean will happen, but it probably won't be as devastating as bruschimania seems to think it will be. If he keeps his offensive and value numbers up over the next five years, that contract might not be looking so bad after all.

No, Lights Out is right. Even Fangraphs says he's been worth 13 or more Replacement runs each of the last 6 years you little sabrematics cheerleader!!!!!!!!!!!! CONSISTENCY!

Settle down, Joe Morgan.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Edmonds has officially announced his retirement.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

If after 5 years or so, there comes up a year with no other good choices or first balloters, he could have a shot I think. He had a pretty good offensive career and was one of the greatest defensive centerfielders of all time. Has a pretty good resume, but it's not an iron-clad lock either.

Owing to his place in the Cardinal Family, Edmonds will get more than the typical 3.4% courtesy votes that every player of note gets, but no way he gets 75%.

Still waiting on Alan Trammell's induction, by the way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If after 5 years or so, there comes up a year with no other good choices or first balloters, he could have a shot I think. He had a pretty good offensive career and was one of the greatest defensive centerfielders of all time. Has a pretty good resume, but it's not an iron-clad lock either.

I know you're a Cardinals fan and all, but it wouldn't matter if there wasn't another person on the ballot, Edmonds isn't getting in. We're talking about the damn Hall of Fame here.

You say not an iron-clad lock, but he's not even a sheet of aluminum foil. Dude doesn't have a chance in hell...and he shouldn't.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Does this look like the NFL Hall of Fame to you?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm one of the biggest Edmonds fans on the planet, and I don't think he'll come close to the HOF. I'd obviously love it if he did, but he was a very good player, not an all-time great. I actually let out an audible 'f-bomb' at work upon reading about his retirement. I was really hoping to catch the Cards when they come to Philly this year. Looks like I need to find a new favorite player now.

I'm one of the biggest Edmonds fans on the planet, and I don't think he'll come close to the HOF. I'd obviously love it if he did, but he was a very good player, not an all-time great. I actually let out an audible 'f-bomb' at work upon reading about his retirement. I was really hoping to catch the Cards when they come to Philly this year. Looks like I need to find a new favorite player now.

I hope you already got your tickets for that... because I'm fairly certain that those games are gone.

As of the first day of public ticket sales, 3.3 million of the 3.6 million available seats have been sold. Season ticket packages have been sold out since before the Lee signing (now a list), and 15 games are completely sold out (including SRO). Sell-out streak will hit >200 this season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hope you already got your tickets for that... because I'm fairly certain that those games are gone.

As of the first day of public ticket sales, 3.3 million of the 3.6 million available seats have been sold. Season ticket packages have been sold out since before the Lee signing (now a list), and 15 games are completely sold out (including SRO). Sell-out streak will hit >200 this season.

I was going to StubHub them if Edmonds made the roster. I miss the days when the Phillies were mediocre because I could actually go to games.

Owing to his place in the Cardinal Family, Edmonds will get more than the typical 3.4% courtesy votes that every player of note gets, but no way he gets 75%.

Still waiting on Alan Trammell's induction, by the way.

It'll happen ;)

Looks like Cy Young Candidate Adam Wainwright is headed for a date with Tommy John.

Ruh roh. Looks like the Brewers playoff chances just got a whole lot stronger.

And Punto's out 8-12 weeks... Ok, not a big loss but just shows the crappy luck they're having.

Great, now LaRussa has carte blanche to play head games with Pujols (and eventually drive him away) because he can say the season was toast anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived