2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

I agree with you about those old Bullets uniforms. They worked at the time, but I would NOT want to see them become their regular uniforms today. But I liked the wordmark from their gold alternates. Ideally, that is the wordmark I would like to see. In fact, I think their current wordmark is probably the biggest problem with their current regular uniforms.

I remember on the original thread there was an argument about whether the leaked logo on the jacket was a different font or not; I thought the font was a little different and I remember it as resembling the logo on the gold alts.

I think I like the current wordmark better...the other one looks a little too regular somehow, like some font from MS Word.

I also think the r/w/b stripes is the way to go, because that is what the Bullets identity was. With no stripes, it's just another r/w/b team and doesn't even feel connected to the Bullets IMO. Without the stripes it doesn't even feel like the Bullets identity (which is why the '88-90's uniforms were awful to me. They looked more like sixers unis.)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you about those old Bullets uniforms. They worked at the time, but I would NOT want to see them become their regular uniforms today. But I liked the wordmark from their gold alternates. Ideally, that is the wordmark I would like to see. In fact, I think their current wordmark is probably the biggest problem with their current regular uniforms.

I remember on the original thread there was an argument about whether the leaked logo on the jacket was a different font or not; I thought the font was a little different and I remember it as resembling the logo on the gold alts.

I think I like the current wordmark better...the other one looks a little too regular somehow, like some font from MS Word.

I also think the r/w/b stripes is the way to go, because that is what the Bullets identity was. With no stripes, it's just another r/w/b team and doesn't even feel connected to the Bullets IMO. Without the stripes it doesn't even feel like the Bullets identity (which is why the '88-90's uniforms were awful to me. They looked more like sixers unis.)

My main issue with that wordmark is that it seems to be stuck in that '90's era when a bunch of teams were making the fronts of their jerseys look cartoonish. I feel like the Wizards are the only team really stick in that era in terms of what's on the front of their jersey. The wordmark looks too cartoony to me, whatwith the swooshy W and awkward arching. The gold alternate Wizards wordmark looks more classy and refined. Just my opinion though, we'll agree to disagree on that.

And I'm not crazy about the horizontal stripes, but I think they should try to work in some stars. I think starts would work because 1)it's a connection to the team's "glory days" and 2) It actually does make some sense for a team called the Wizards.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

From the Washington Post's DC Sports Bog:

A red, white and blue version of the current Wizards logo, which features a Wizard emerging from a crescent-moon-shaped basketball, surfaced a few weeks ago on the internet, but multiple sources have confirmed that that logo will not be seen prominently in the re-branding of the franchise.

Take from that what you will.

From the Washington Post's DC Sports Bog:

A red, white and blue version of the current Wizards logo, which features a Wizard emerging from a crescent-moon-shaped basketball, surfaced a few weeks ago on the internet, but multiple sources have confirmed that that logo will not be seen prominently in the re-branding of the franchise.

Take from that what you will.

Probably the ridiculous re-coloring of their primary logo in order to get around the fee, and then they'll just use a secondary logo (maybe new?) to promote their brand.

Like the Hawks. And the Jazz.

The NBA really needs to dump this logo change fee. The fact that there's quite a few teams hanging on to re-colored, outdated primaries that don't go with their current identity at all and are almost never used is just asinine.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Adidas' heavy-handed branding is *so* annoying. I'm actually shocked that they didn't shoe-horn a three-stripe trim into the practice unis like they do on virtually every other piece of merchandise other than the official on-court product.

Not to mention: why did the league think it a good idea to have every team use the same template for warm-ups, etc.? Wouldn't they make more $ if teams were allowed to design unique warm-ups that fit in with their unique brand identities? The '80s Cs short-sleeve baseball style warm-ups (w/ the removable name plates) are as much a part of their iconic brand from that era as the unis themselves. Ditto for the '80s Lakers' butterfly collar warm-ups. Is the decision based solely on reducing cost?

Why is Miami's logo rotated like that in their last black shirt?

I'm guessing the guy that made that image just dragged the logo off the last Miami shirt he mocked up, which is above that and has the logo rotated on the sleeve.

The Bulls also had incredible warmups in the dynatsy years. Ditto Pistons. It's a shame to lose that in the NBA.

Even the Clippers had awesome warmups back in the day.

1996-brent-barry.jpg

On a side note, people forget this but Blake Griffin is not the only Clipper to win the Dunk Contest - Brent Barry did it back in '96 with two free-throw line dunks, and he wore his warmup jacket the whole time to boot, hence the picture.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I kinda dig the shooting shirt (or at least the single long sleeved shirt I assume is the shooting shirt) Anyone have any reason the Lakers 3 stripes are on the opposite side of the shirt than the other 3? I'm assuming it has to do with West vs. East, maybe? That's the best I can come up with.

And keynote, just a guess, but I would assume the 3 stripes are on the side of the practice jerseys. I have no proof of this, but the small picture looks to me like they might be there. I agree with you and I can't see Adidas not putting them there, seeing as they put them on everything else.

SEAsig.png

The Bulls also had incredible warmups in the dynatsy years. Ditto Pistons. It's a shame to lose that in the NBA.

Even the Clippers had awesome warmups back in the day.

1996-brent-barry.jpg

On a side note, people forget this but Blake Griffin is not the only Clipper to win the Dunk Contest - Brent Barry did it back in '96 with two free-throw line dunks, and he wore his warmup jacket the whole time to boot, hence the picture.

Don't forget that Barry and Blake are the only white guys to win the Dunk contest as well. Who said White Men Can't Jump? It's just that no one noticed because they played for the Clippers. ^_^

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived