Rare team matchups

Let's talk about the CFL for a bit; this is a rare matchup in that league, in 1985, the 'new-generation' Saskatchewan Roughriders met the Montreal Concordes for only two games (the accompanying video is from one of those 1985 games); the next year, they met the 'one-year' Montreal Alouettes for two games as well (unable to find any pics/video of 1986, however). The only differences in the uniforms for Montreal was the logo on the sleeves, so that qualifies for this thread.

Similarly, in 1985, those same Roughriders met the yellow-helmeted Hamilton Tiger-Cats for only two games that year, the Ti-Cats changed their helmet color the next year.

UBwef0L.png

2 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Best picture I could find of Mariners-Brewers from 1993. First year of navy and teal Mariners and final year of blue and yellow Brewers .

image.jpeg

Can't really get a good view but that's still a bit jarring to think that they coincided.

10919814.jpg?size=620x400s

These two looks coincided for one season (1988-89); the last year of the Canucks golden "shoulder-V" jerseys (before the went to white jerseys) and the first year of the Wayne Gretzky-era first-generation silver/black look for the Kings.

I felt like that the colorful look these two teams had were robbed when the Kings changed their colors that season (both teams had yellow jerseys as their home ones). But then again, the silver/black look is the one most people like.

• Like 3

UBwef0L.png

6 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

10919814.jpg?size=620x400s

These two looks coincided for one season (1988-89); the last year of the Canucks golden "shoulder-V" jerseys (before the went to white jerseys) and the first year of the Wayne Gretzky-era first-generation silver/black look for the Kings.

I felt like that the colorful look these two teams had were robbed when the Kings changed their colors that season (both teams had yellow jerseys as their home ones). But then again, the silver/black look is the one most people like.

The first silver/black look was so '90s (even though it started in the late '80s) but still so good. MUCH better than what they wear now. I kind of feel like I would've liked to see a purple/black set with purple as the primary, but they never did that. I feel like hockey is probably the best sport for that color scheme.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/safety-ray-ellis-of-the-philadelphia-eagle-prepares-to-stop-running-picture-id78330094

This one is from 1984: First year with the Buffalo Bills sporting red helmets, and the last season for the Philadelphia Eagles 'winged' jerseys. The two teams would meet again the following year, with the Eagles toning down their jersey design. So, this was the only time these two designs coincided.

• Like 4

UBwef0L.png

16 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

More than anything, this makes me mad that the Panthers haven't changed their jerseys yet. Those things are really dated. Timeless

FYP

• Like 12
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17