Rare team matchups

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/linebacker-larry-keller-and-defensive-end-lawrence-pillers-of-the-new-picture-id80032343

Going way back on this one..... from 1978, last year of the Packers-esque Washington Redskins uniform, and the first year of the New York Jets' 'large double-stripe' uniforms and modernized logo with those HUGE TV numbers. This was the only time these two uniform sets coincided with each other.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

5 hours ago, johnnysama said:

jags.jpg

The only time the current Jags getup (shown here in its first season in 2013) ever saw action at the now "Dome at America's Center".

I hate that name so much.  I have some alternatives.

Missouri Dome (state gets some advertising for the money it puts in, could even slap the state tourism logo on the roof, see mockup below)

Dirt Cheap Dome (named after a local liquor store and a nod to the fact that if they hadn't built the place on spec St. Louis very well may still have a team; I don't think they give the Rams such a dumb lease otherwise.)

National Car Rental Dome (maybe Enterprise would be in the mood to be generous, doubt it)

Also in rare team match ups, the Los Angeles Rams have never played the Tennessee Titans or the Houston Texans.  

missouri dome.png

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

On 6/23/2016 at 1:27 AM, phutmasterflex said:

To keep a winning streak alive, the A's for the only time ever wore gold tops (which they had worn during their win streak at home) on the road five years ago. The players assumed that the gold tops were only for home games, so they were bummed that they couldn't wear them. But that actually was never a rule for their unis so equipment manager Steve Vucinich brought the gold tops along without telling anyone. The players found out when they got to the clubhouse that they could wear the gold tops. They wore it for the series and have never worn the gold tops on the road since. 

The old road caps as well with the Mets in their black outline unis during interleague. 

athletics_mets_117117770.jpg

That story is only partially true. Even after losing 2 out of 3 against the Mets in that series, the A's also wore the yellow alts later during that road trip in Philly, despite having the road grays with them (which they wore in game 1 at Philly).  So, that Mets series was not the only or last time the A's ever wore yellow on the road.

So I guess gives us another rare matchup:

hideki-matsui-of-the-oakland-athletics-r

• Like 1

While I have no pictures for either matchup, for six games in the 1993-94 NHL season, the first-year Mighty Ducks of Anaheim met the Calgary Flames' classic getup for those six games only. That same Flames uniform also saw action for two games against another first-year team, the Florida Panthers late in that season.

The Flames altered their uniform design the following season.

UBwef0L.png

53 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

While I have no pictures for either matchup, for six games in the 1993-94 NHL season, the first-year Mighty Ducks of Anaheim met the Calgary Flames' classic getup for those six games only. That same Flames uniform also saw action for two games against another first-year team, the Florida Panthers late in that season.

oct-1993-general-view-of-a-game-between-

Can't find the Panthers unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2016 at 11:57 PM, DaytonBlue said:

I hate that name so much.  I have some alternatives.

Missouri Dome (state gets some advertising for the money it puts in, could even slap the state tourism logo on the roof, see mockup below)

Dirt Cheap Dome (named after a local liquor store and a nod to the fact that if they hadn't built the place on spec St. Louis very well may still have a team; I don't think they give the Rams such a dumb lease otherwise.)

National Car Rental Dome (maybe Enterprise would be in the mood to be generous, doubt it)

Also in rare team match ups, the Los Angeles Rams have never played the Tennessee Titans or the Houston Texans.  

missouri dome.png

The Los Angeles Rams have also not played the Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars, or Baltimore Ravens. They'll be scratching off Carolina this season.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, johnnysama said:

That same logic also works for the St. Louis Blues- changed their uniform design the following year too.