Is Brown For The Padres Really a Popular Opinion?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'd like to see the Padres adopt the same colors as the Chargers (let me borrow from Colorwerx here....) and then throw in brown as an accent color. I'm not one that believes brown should be the primary color.

SanDiegoChargers_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Padres+Chargers colors=Oh God

Here's a piece on si.com

I am sure a lot of us could nitpick a few things he said. It's not a particularly great article--plus I know our resident Pads' fans dispute his implication that a large number of fans want the brown. I guess I am putting here because finding a uniform-related story on the front of si.com's MLB page is rare.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/25/san-diego-padres-uniforms-lee-jenkins-my-town-my-team

Thanks for sharing. Goes to support my personal experience that a majority want the brown back. Good to see it's finally getting some traction.

The Chargers colors would be an upgrade over what they use now, but brown is clearly what works for them. Let the Brewers do the blue/powder blue/gold thing.

Here's a piece on si.com

I am sure a lot of us could nitpick a few things he said. It's not a particularly great article--plus I know our resident Pads' fans dispute his implication that a large number of fans want the brown. I guess I am putting here because finding a uniform-related story on the front of si.com's MLB page is rare.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/25/san-diego-padres-uniforms-lee-jenkins-my-town-my-team

Ironic that the money quote in that article is "you can see the movement."

• 4 months later...

Another one about the brown Padres on "regular" sports coverage...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/15/its-time-for-the-padres-to-bring-back-the-brown/

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not as a primary color. Blue primarily with brown accent would be ideal and unique. Suits the city, the naval/aquatic theme (water/ocean/sand/beaches), and the brown is a nod to the past.

They did the blue with light brown. Dark brown with navy is pretty ugly. Light blue with khaki (kind of a UCLA look, but with brown shades instead of yellow) would be pretty sweet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not as a primary color. Blue primarily with brown accent would be ideal and unique. Suits the city, the naval/aquatic theme (water/ocean/sand/beaches), and the brown is a nod to the past.

They did the blue with light brown. Dark brown with navy is pretty ugly. Light blue with khaki (kind of a UCLA look, but with brown shades instead of yellow) would be pretty sweet.

How about dark brown with a medium shade of blue?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

How about dark brown with a medium shade of blue?

Likely not enough contrast. Royal blue and dark brown doesn't seem like it'd work...

There is a reason they chose khaki in the early 2000s. Sand = khaki. Literally.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Nothing says "Padres" to me like the brown and yellow. The 1980's may have had some bad baseball fashion, but at least it had color. Flash forward to today where the Twins look like the Nationals and everyone apparently thinks MLB needs to look like 1960's communist Czechoslovakia or East Germany in terms of color - more blah, please, comrade.

Tufts uses it and it works pretty nicely.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'd like to see the Padres go with Brown as their primary color, Powder Blue as their secondary color, and Sand/Tan as their tertiary/accent color.

That would be better than what they have BUT I feel that would just be another band aid on the brand. Like when the masses clamored for the Chargers to switch back to collegiate blue and so the team added it to the navy/yellow mix. Nice, better, but not as good as it would have been as the primary.

To be truly special, I think the Padres need to embrace brown/yellow and make it theirs once again.

I love the mock up by RoughRider99 showing the current uniform with brown replacing navy blue.

I like the current "Padres" script on their home uniforms.

Just add mustard yellow trim to the lettering(and numbers) on the mock up (with the "SD" on the hat in mustard yellow instead of white), and the whole thing is perfect.

Pardon me while I re-post a picture of one of the greatest uniform sets in baseball history.

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1969.jpg

Hey, posting that is my job!

They got it right the very first time, didn't they? (Then it didn't take long for them to start screwing with it.) So many teams had it just right in the late 60s and early 70s, right before the pullovers hit.

Archived