MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Whats the patch the Rays are wearing?

It's the Clearwater Centennial patch the Phillies are also wearing. Probably the Rays' tribute to the city.

Rays announced the other day that they would be wearing the Clearwater Centennial patch for their 3 spring games at the Phillies this year.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random question but what kind of shoes did players use to wear in the astroturf days? If you were a first baseman you need to be on the sliding pit a lot...Even something like the old turf at tropicana field would an outfielder wear turf shoes and infielders wear cleats because of the dirt infield?

Random question but what kind of shoes did players use to wear in the astroturf days? If you were a first baseman you need to be on the sliding pit a lot...Even something like the old turf at tropicana field would an outfielder wear turf shoes and infielders wear cleats because of the dirt infield?

You best make another comment quickly, son. I'm not liking that current total under your avatar. ;) In all seriousness though, good question. I don't know either.

As far as the patches go...I understand the intent, but egads, next thing you know we'll have patches for things like the second to last homestand of each team's season.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I think a lot of guys wore the molded cleats on the original astroturf. Problem is that extreme heat would melt the spikes. I've seen numerous guys wearing molded cleats now on grass which is interesting to me. And I'm not sure of this but it looks like Jose Bautista wears turf trainers in home games.

TaxSlayer Bowl_sig.png

I think a lot of guys wore the molded cleats on the original astroturf. Problem is that extreme heat would melt the spikes. I've seen numerous guys wearing molded cleats now on grass which is interesting to me. And I'm not sure of this but it looks like Jose Bautista wears turf trainers in home games.

Back in the day the turf shoes had hundreds of little rubber nipples on the bottom. You couldn't really wear any kind of cleat, even molded, on the hard AstroTurf surface.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Back in the day the turf shoes had hundreds of little rubber nipples on the bottom. You couldn't really wear any kind of cleat, even molded, on the hard AstroTurf surface.

You can kind of see in this picture what BBTV is talking about

barrylarkin-771887.jpg

but I'm not 100% sure Bret Boone isn't wearing traditional baseball spikes here

072697boone_484x450.jpg

It's hard to find good photos of the bottom of guys shoes from the astroturf era.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not sure if I missed this, but the Twins new TC hats with gold trim are just alts? For some reason I thought they were the new primary home cap, but they're listed as alternate on mlb.com.

Hopefully the godawful excuse for a home uniform will only be an alt and the Killebrew-era throwbacks will actually be the home uniforms. 99.9% not likely happening, but a guy can dream, right?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Not sure if I missed this, but the Twins new TC hats with gold trim are just alts? For some reason I thought they were the new primary home cap, but they're listed as alternate on mlb.com.

When the new uniforms were unveiled, the gold-outline was introduced as an "alternate cap to be worn with the home uniform".

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/fan_forum/uniform_infographic.jsp

The original TC is still the official home because it will be worn with the Killebrew-era unis and the alternate navy. So it will be worn more than the gold trimmed alternate

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

So it's the official home hat because it's being worn with the alternate jerseys?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think that's more about them not being confident in it - if the gold cap is officially an alternate, it's easier to phase it out later.

I hope they phase out the cap and the whole uniform. Just make some tweaks to the throwback and call it a day.

Archived