This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This NL series is so gross. Nothing good can come from it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Also Hockey's tournament is long and grueling enough that any team who wins the cup feels like a deserving champion even if their regular season wasn't stellar (2012 Kings come to mind).

This kind of comment infuriates me, because it assumes the Kings were the only illegitimate team in that postseason (and were so in the 2014 postseason for that matter).

What people tend (or some cases, want) to forget was that the Pacific Division was superbly weak that year. The Kings could have won that division, but lost it on the last week of the season, due to back to back regulation losses to San Jose coupled with a 5-game Coyotes winning streak simultaneously occurring. Phoenix was only given a #3 seed because of division winners automatically getting the top-3 seeds; if stacked points-wise, the Coyotes would have been a #6 in the West. But Phoenix never received this much detest as the Kings did for their low seeding, just because they won a winnable division.

It's absolutely hilarious to me how the comment was about how the 2012 LA Kings, a 40-42 team (underachieving or not) that won the Cup, was something that he said didn't bother him at all (nice of you to exclude that) and you STILL found a way to get your panties in a bunch about it. Good grief, dude. There isn't some explicit agenda around here to dismiss everything about LA sports teams. The only assumptions being made here are coming from you.

You're a buffoon, dba. Did the 2012 Kings have a stellar regular season? NO they didn't and that's inarguable. I then went on to say that they were a worthy champion. :censored:ing relax.

How someone from the second biggest metropolitan market in the country has a persecution complex is beyond me.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Royals are a cool story.

They sort of remind me of the 2008 Fresno State baseball team that won the college world series. That team was like the last seed in the tournament and just didn't lose even though they kept seeing teams that were technically better than them. It made no baseball sense.

Now I can definitely see them getting bit like the 2007 Rockies by being too hot. This Giants-Cardinals series is going 7 games and the Royals are going to sit and wait for a long time. Let's hope they can overcome that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Matheny is responsible for both Giants runs on the night.

If he plays the proper lineup (both offensively and especially defensively), Peter Bourjos retires both of the batters that came around to score. Instead, Matheny continues his love affair with Randal Grichuk because he plays the game the right way.

And now a third run comes in as the inning was extended an extra out thanks to Mike not using his best defense. He's really bad at this.

Matheny is responsible for both Giants runs on the night.

If he plays the proper lineup (both offensively and especially defensively), Peter Bourjos retires both of the batters that came around to score. Instead, Matheny continues his love affair with Randal Grichuk because he plays the game the right way.

Yeah. Definitely should have Bourjos in there with how much room the centerfielder has to cover in that park.

As long as he gets Miller out before he blows this lead I'll redeem him.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

They sort of remind me of the 2008 Fresno State baseball team that won the college world series. That team was like the last seed in the tournament and just didn't lose even though they kept seeing teams that were technically better than them. It made no baseball sense.

Now I can definitely see them getting bit like the 2007 Rockies by being too hot. This Giants-Cardinals series is going 7 games and the Royals are going to sit and wait for a long time. Let's hope they can overcome that.

I actually think the rest will be good for the Royals, since a.) they were in a close divisional race down the stretch and couldn't rest their starters, and b.) they were the wildcard and had to play an extra game.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I actually think the rest will be good for the Royals, since a.) they were in a close divisional race down the stretch and couldn't rest their starters, and b.) they were the wildcard and had to play an extra game.

And plus unlike the Rockies, the Royals open the World Series at home, as opposed to the Rockies who had to wait for the ALCS to end that year and had to travel to Boston.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Shelby Miller just got knocked around to the point that Mike Matheny was ready to pull him in the 3rd, except that he wasn't literally ready because he's never prepared for anything and waited too long to get a reliever up. Miller escaped with no further damage, fortunately.

So Matheny leaves him into bat and start the fourth inning.

Can't manage much worse than he has this series.

And plus unlike the Rockies, the Royals open the World Series at home, as opposed to the Rockies who had to wait for the ALCS to end that year and had to travel to Boston.

And as opposed to the Rockies and Phillies having to travel almost across the nation, the Royals could potentially play a team 3 hours down the road. Plus that team has pretty good stats in Kauffman ;)

Also, Justin, you can't have a guy warming in the pen just for the possibility your starter goes to crap. Maybe he just wanted to get him through the order.

QUICK EDIT: Nevermind he's bringing in Chaote against Blanco... again.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

It wasn't like that Fresno State baseball team came out of nowhere....they were in the top-20 in the preseason rankings. They just underperformed during the season.

Shelby Miller just got knocked around to the point that Mike Matheny was ready to pull him in the 3rd, except that he wasn't literally ready because he's never prepared for anything and waited too long to get a reliever up.

Erstwhile White Sox manager Terry Bevington once came on the field and signalled to the bullpen but no one was warming up, so he just sort of walked in circles for a while like an eloping Alzheimer's patient. I think Keith Foulke eventually came in but it certainly didn't help Bevington continue his employment.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2006 Tigers started at home after waiting- how did that work out for them?

Kudos to the broadcasters for letting the moment play out with no absurd commentary.

It's about one of the few times TBS hasn't butchered a baseball broadcast.

Giants have done literally nothing and are going to go to the World Series. Not just went on a flukey run, but they have done literally nothing. Everything they have has been a gift from the other team.

I find it absolutely hysterical for a Cardinals fan to be moaning about the other team winning by doing nothing, when their own damn team got the benefit of the doubt against realistic-suffering teams all these years (Dodgers, Padres, Mets, Nationals, Pirates, Braves, Brewers, Rangers). Pathetic.

Archived