2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I love these new Blues uni's am I the only one thinking they would look better if the sleeve and bottom stripes touched? Looking back at pre edge version of this design the stripes all touched each other and it seems to match up with the yolk pattern much better

To be honest with you, I didn't even notice the change. I had to look at pictures of the Blues from last year to notice that they modified some striping.

I guarantee you that 95% of people won't even realize they "changed" their uniforms next year.

I wouldn't say 95%.... I bet 50% don't realize it though.

To be honest with you, I didn't even notice the change. I had to look at pictures of the Blues from last year to notice that they modified some striping.

I guarantee you that 95% of people won't even realize they "changed" their uniforms next year.

Goes to show you how bad those apron pipes can make a uniform.

sig.png

Also, it looks like the blue socks have a navy stripe between yellow and white, where as that stripe is royal blue on the jersey.

I don't think there is a navy stripe on the socks. I think it just looks navy because the royal stripe is thin.

You know how you can tell the new Blues jerseys are about as perfect as the team can get?

There aren't a few dozen concept threads of "how I would fix it". In fact, I haven't seen a single concept trying to improve on that design yet.

When Carolina unveiled their new jerseys, the front page was monopolized with Hurricanes posts. Ditto San Jose. Dallas had bunches with the new logo. St. Louis? None. Clearly they did it properly, because nobody here is trying to change it...at least not with quick fixes.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I have the same opinion I had on the Blues jerseys when the leak came out. That extra stripe they inserted on the sleeves, torso, and socks comes from nowhere. It no longer matches the shoulders or the numbering.

To me that stands out like a sore thumb.

These are a good set of uniforms, but they could have been nearly perfect. And it was right there in front of them. The exact uniform they pulled inspiration from had it right, and they changed it for the sake of change.

So while these are good, I will be annoyed by them for their entire existence. To me this reeks of amateur design. It's the sort of detail a good designer wouldn't overlook.

I have always found that as long as the overall look is nice and clean and the general concensus is that it's good, I can easily overlook it's flaws. One of the weirdest examples is the Montreal Canadiens, who only have hem stripes and no where else on their white jersey and while they already have the big body stripe and arm stripes, they put hem stripes on the red jersey anyway. Not perfect, but so iconic. Or the Blackhawks who have the same striping pattern on the hem and sleeves on the white jersey, but the red jersey's sleeves only have half the stripes of the white. Yet also quite iconic. Even the Bruins yokes work fine for me even though the white and yellow are touching. The Jets have completely different hem striping that they do on the sleeves, but I still love those jerseys. Now I've seem the full uniforms, don't mind the sleeve striping on the new Blues jerseys now that they are being emulated on the socks.

Something I've also noticed is that of all the Blues jersey that had a yoke over the past 47 years, none of the yokes ever truely matched the sleeve or hem striping. (Even the pre-Edge set, while it had the colors in the correct order, the stripes were too thin.) So they are keeping a consistent record of not being flawless.

Accepting these mild incosistencies, I give this new Blues set a solid A.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I have the same opinion I had on the Blues jerseys when the leak came out. That extra stripe they inserted on the sleeves, torso, and socks comes from nowhere. It no longer matches the shoulders or the numbering.

These are a good set of uniforms, but they could have been nearly perfect. And it was right there in front of them. The exact uniform they pulled inspiration from had it right, and they changed it for the sake of change.

So while these are good, I will be annoyed by them for their entire existence. To me this reeks of amateur design. It's the sort of detail a good designer wouldn't overlook.

I wonder if they changed the striping because they were worried that fans who had the pre-Edge jersey wouldn't buy the new jersey if the striping was the same?

I have always found that as long as the overall look is nice and clean and the general concensus is that it's good, I can easily overlook it's flaws.

While I think things like this always bother me, I'm usually able to accept it. I think the difference is that this is "my" team, so I really want perfection.

The Bruins is a good example. The mismatching striping from sleeves to shoulder bothers me, and I'll be quick to point that out if asked for analysis. But if you just ask me if I like their uniforms, I do.

Something I've also noticed is that of all the Blues jersey that had a yoke over the past 47 years, none of the yokes ever truely matched the sleeve or hem striping. (Even the pre-Edge set, while it had the colors in the correct order, the stripes were too thin.) So they are keeping a consistent record of not being flawless.

This is true, but not, in my opinion, a good excuse for not making it right in the here and now. Also, I'm willing to cut shoulder stripes some slack on thickness. I think the nature of that spot on the uniform calls for stripes a little thinner.

But on a similar note, someone tweeted at me yesterday asking "Could there be anything more Blues" than being infuriatingly close to being perfect but falling quite short?

And on that note, perhaps in a way, these actually are perfect. And now I'm sad.

Ugh this just makes me depressed.... The Avs are easily the worst dressed in the Central.

Dallas: Amazing

St. Louis: Amazing

Chicago: Amazing

Minnesota: Very Good

Nashville: Good

Winnipeg: Good, nothing special

Colorado: Avsolute trash.

Be patient. The Avs will change eventually. Most of the garbage Edge looks have been abandoned in favor of good designs.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I wonder if they changed the striping because they were worried that fans who had the pre-Edge jersey wouldn't buy the new jersey if the striping was the same?

I don't think most fans would even notice the additional stripe. I think it's more that design today sucks. The designers or teams refuse to go wholesale back to a previous look when they should. They have to "update" it by making it worse. See the Bills, Sabres, Knicks, Sixers, Jazz, Suns, and to a lesser extent the Astros. At least that's my jaded opinion.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Thing is, I don't actually agree that that's the problem either.

Most of the time going back to a look wholesale isn't the right answer either. Those looks usually had flaws too. Usually they need a small update.

But these teams are screwing up the updates too. Very frustrating. Leads to a lot of pretty good looks and very few great looks.

I can see why the gap in the striping is bugging Blues fans, but I can forgive it as these are generally a huge upgrade over the previous two sets, especially the Edge version. The bolder striping puts this above the pre-Edge set too, especially now the team's primary royal blue colour is a lot more prominent and noticeable as opposed to being a measly accent on the white jersey.

On the blue jersey the yellow doesn't get absorbed into the white stripe anymore either. I'd like to think that's why they stuck the small gap between the two, just to make them that little bit more distinct from each other on TV. They probably could've done that with the yoke too, but I think adding any more detail there would overcomplicate it.

Now they either need to rethink or dump the third, and their set is pretty much spot on.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived