A fun little toy I just discovered

wdm1219inpenna

FWIW I simulated the two CFP semifinal matchups and their resulting national title game, all on neutral fields:

Ohio State 38, Alabama 31

Oregon 37, Florida State 34

Ohio State 34, Oregon 30

There's hope for Buckeye fans yet...

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thought: These teams are set up relative to the competition of their day, but if you played a random 70's Super Bowl winner against the 08 Lions with both teams at their peak that Lions team would destroy that team. The physical size difference would be overwhelming and the game wouldn't be close. It'd be like a DI team against a DII team.

This is absolutely true. Got into a recent discussion about this with some buddies when we were arguing about various eras of Husker players. No need to replicate the entire conversation, but for evidence I'll submit two different Nebraska DTs - Rich Glover vs. Ndaumkong Suh:

• Glover - part of 70 & 71 championship teams, won the Lombardi and Outland. Multiple time All-American. Defensive player of the year. One of the most decorated Blackshirts of all time.
  • Suh - part of teams that lost 3-4 games. Heisman finalist, won the Lombardi, Outland, Nagurski, Bednarik and AP Player of the Year. Also one of the most decorated Blackshirts of all time.

Statistically, their numbers for sacks, TFLs and other box score items just aren't that far apart. Very similar levels of achievement, but here's the kicker: Glover was 6'1" and 233lbs. Suh is 6'4" and 320lbs. Big #93 literally outweighed Glover by ONE HUNDRED POUNDS. There's no question in my mind that Suh would crush Glover into guacamole.

It's a different era today than 30 or 40 years ago.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Might just be addicted to this.

'96 Bulls just beat the '86 Celtics in 6 games. Bird Averaged 28-10-8 for the series, and the Celtics "held" Jordan to just 29 ppg on 44%, but it wasn't enough - Chicago won by an average of almost 14 points per game.

I could do this all night!

FWIW I simulated the two CFP semifinal matchups and their resulting national title game, all on neutral fields:

Ohio State 34, Oregon 30

I did something similar, but had the teams play a "best of 7'

Alabama 4, Ohio State 3 (Alabama was down 3-1)

Oregon 4, Florida State 0

Alabama 4, Oregon 2

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I tried 2014 Alabama vs 2014 SMU.

Bama won 90/0

This thing is pretty realistic.

At one point, that Shaq (?) linebacker from Washington had more touchdowns than SMU collectively for the season. I think like 4 games in, SMU had only scored something like 3 TDs on the season.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I tried 2014 Alabama vs 2014 SMU.

Bama won 90/0

This thing is pretty realistic.

At one point, that Shaq (?) linebacker from Washington had more touchdowns than SMU collectively for the season. I think like 4 games in, SMU had only scored something like 3 TDs on the season.

Wow I hadn't realized how bad SMU was this season. They lost every game until pulling one out at 2-9 UConn on the last day of the season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I did a 68 Jets vs 68 Colts. You can even pick the stadium, and they had the Orange Bowl as a choice. I remember one Colts' player saying "If we played them 10 times, we'd beat them 9 out of 10." I did 10 simulations and the Jets won 1, the Colts won 8, and there was one tie. Makes me wonder if indeed the Super Bowl III winners were in fact a fluke.

Speaking of fluky 1969 sporting events involving New York and Baltimore :angered: , I replayed the 1969 World Series. Orioles in 4!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I simmed a match-up between the 1993 Toronto Blue Jays and the 1994 Montreal Expos; Blue Jays win in 6.

And then the 1994 "World Series"; Yankees v. Expos. Yankees sweep Montreal.

I did White Sox v Montreal, cuz you know it's never the 2 teams with the best record....Expos win in 7, with Pedro throwing the win.

2013 World Series, if the Tigers got past the Red Sox in the ALCS, they still get swept by the Cards. :(

Did this year, if they had gotten past the Orioles, they beat KC 4-3, and then BEAT the Giants 4-3. World Series title lost because we got swept by the Orioles. Damn it boys!

2011 Lions- If we get past New Orleans, we beat Green Bay 45-35, then beat the Giants 23-16, and then...wait for it.....WIN THE SUPERBOWL! 38-33.

Man I have to stop this, it's frustrating.

sig.png

Might just be addicted to this.

'96 Bulls just beat the '86 Celtics in 6 games. Bird Averaged 28-10-8 for the series, and the Celtics "held" Jordan to just 29 ppg on 44%, but it wasn't enough - Chicago won by an average of almost 14 points per game.

I could do this all night!

That was the very first series I simulated on that site, but the '86 Celtics bested the '96 Bulls in six games. The games were very offense-oriented, with the winner of each game going north of 110 points.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

I used this a few times last NFL season, and thought people on the boards knew about it, I would have shared :). Anyway thanks for reminding me about this site.

I just used it again about a month ago - I think I was simulating the 49ers-Seahawks matchups. It failed pretty bad on predicting the game in Santa Clara, but it actually was pretty close in predicting the game in Seattle. Haven't tried the other sports except for maybe one or two NHL games. Might try this site again.

Ohio State 34, Oregon 30

Other than failing to predict that the Rose Bowl would be such a blowout, the site nailed both semifinals

CCSLC signature.png

Ohio State 34, Oregon 30

Other than failing to predict that the Rose Bowl would be such a blowout, the site nailed both semifinals

I did this too for the playoff. I did best of 7 for each one. Ohio State and Oregon both won. Then Ohio State won against Oregon.

If only I could simulate any recent year Alabama vs the 2014 Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

They all would destroy 'Bama. NFL is a whole different level.

Yeah, a college football or basketball team is never ever going to beat an NFL or NBA team in a real game. The crappiest guy on either pro roster is still the best of the best of the 100+ (or 300+ for basketball) big time college teams.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived