2015 NCAA Football Thread

DarkJourney

Someone want to inform me why the semifinal games are taking place today and not tomorrow?

Rose and Sugar didn't want to move from their traditional slots and when formed the playoff committee wanted NYE.

However, this year, ESPN offered (even begged) them to move the semis back to Saturday, January 2 as it could be basically unopposed as ESPN would move other bowls around, but they declined!

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/01/26/Events-and-Attractions/CFP.aspx?

Playoff Executive Bill Hancock has said, "The fact is that we have started a new tradition of back-to-back tripleheaders on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. We're not interested in changing for one year, then returning for the next 10."

That kind of buries the lead of the new playoff, but I'm not surprised. Thanks for the info.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone want to inform me why the semifinal games are taking place today and not tomorrow?

Rose and Sugar didn't want to move from their traditional slots and when formed the playoff committee wanted NYE.

However, this year, ESPN offered (even begged) them to move the semis back to Saturday, January 2 as it could be basically unopposed as ESPN would move other bowls around, but they declined!

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/01/26/Events-and-Attractions/CFP.aspx?

Playoff Executive Bill Hancock has said, "The fact is that we have started a new tradition of back-to-back tripleheaders on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. We're not interested in changing for one year, then returning for the next 10."

That kind of buries the lead of the new playoff, but I'm not surprised. Thanks for the info.

Playoff semifinals will be on New Years Eve every year in which theyre not hosted by the Rose and Sugar bowls, as they were last year. In other words, in eight out of 12 years.

For Houston to have any shot at winning the Peach Bowl, they had to shut Dalvin Cook down, and that's exactly what they're doing.

The question now is if they can maintain that the rest of the game, especially where they're holding a slim lead at the present. If they don't and Cook starts running amuck, I could see the Seminoles exploding in the second half. But if Houston keeps clamping on defense, they're on track for the upset.

EDIT: That trick play touchdown sure helped Houston out! Much better cushion to work with.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I haven't watched him a whole lot this season (except against Navy), but why is Paxton Lynch projected to be the first QB taken in the draft? Is he really that good?

I've been wondering that as well. Jared Goff has impressed me a whole lot more as a prospect and is who I think should be the clear #1 QB by a longshot. And I know it's only one game, but Lynch looked panicky and flustered in the Birmingham Bowl, whereas Goff completely lit it up and looked very polished in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Yes, Air Force isn't Auburn, but you've gotta make the best of the stage you're given if you want to prove your place as a prospect. To me, Lynch didn't come close to doing that whereas Goff went above and beyond.

It'll be interesting to see how Connor Cook from Michigan State does in the Cotton Bowl and possibly NCG. If he has two really good games (or even just one), I wouldn't be surprised at all if his stock shoots up. I don't think he gets above Goff, but I think he'll get more looks.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Houston needs to try to get into the Big XII. I think they'd do well. They have the 25th ranked recruiting class of 2016. And they have played well against the P5. I'm sure Texas would try blocking that though.

Most of the schools would because they have alumni in Houston already. BYU and Cincinnati are usually presented as the most likely choices for admission to the conference.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Worst Division of the Big Five is 3-0 in bowl games thus far. The Wisconsin/USC game was very entertaining and generally well-played.

The ACC has been the worst all year. I've been surprised by the fact that only Louisville has bothered to even show up. North Carolina lost to a team with no quarterback.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Houston needs to try to get into the Big XII. I think they'd do well. They have the 25th ranked recruiting class of 2016. And they have played well against the P5. I'm sure Texas would try blocking that though.

Folks were saying the same thing about Boise State in the last decade and even UCF following the 2014 Fiesta Bowl win against Baylor. Even those two are better choices than Cougar High.

A net win for Cougar High is a net loss of revenue to the Big XII.

While, UH is their own state university system and is reaching Carnegie "Tier 1" academic status quickly, their large student population and general fan apathy is a reason to still not invite them. They can not sell out their new, smaller stadium and essentially draw half of Tech/TCU/Baylor.

Is it me or is this officiating crew looking a little too hard for penalties (many of them phantom calls) to call. Are they seriously that bored?

When they played a blowout game last year, there was pregame issues with Laeson and now injured Lawson boarded an OU team bus earlier in the week, they are somewhat justified.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/31/clemsons-shaq-lawson-did-some-trash-talking-on-oklahomas-team-bus/

Is it me or is this officiating crew looking a little too hard for penalties (many of them phantom calls) to call. Are they seriously that bored?

When they played a blowout game last year, there was pregame issues with Laeson and now injured Lawson boarded an OU team bus earlier in the week, they are somewhat justified.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/31/clemsons-shaq-lawson-did-some-trash-talking-on-oklahomas-team-bus/

I’m not talking unsportmanlike penalties - those were warranted. I’m talking sideline warnings/interference, etc.

Maybe there hasn’t been that many penalties, it just seems that I’ve seen teams are lined up ready for the next stop and officials are having a huddle party with a flag that was thrown so late that you’ve got Mayfield or Watson turning around and going “What’s the hold-up?” and there’s a sideline warning - which on the replay looked like there wasn’t anything as did the Sideline interference on Clemson.

I think I’m just being a lot harsher on officials after last night’s Wisconsin-USC game when Wisconsin’s McEvoy was called out of bounds and the official guessed that he went out of bounds instead of letting the play continue and then change it on the review if needed. That irked me.

ESPN2 is in spanish for the CFB playoff! Love it!

And, of course people have to be dumb about it:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/31/10697128/college-football-playoff-broadcast-espn-spanish-espn2

My son watched the first half of the ESPN Desportes on ESPN2. He took 13 years of Spanish in school - Catholic diocese of Albany had it taught from kindergarten on - plus two semesters in college.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

His tears look ready.

IMAG0097_zps0k69otd9.jpg

What is it with you and little kids crying? Should I be concerned?
Well I did mean to also post the shot of the Clemson girl being handed a clear shot of booze and multiple people with us thought she was being "Cosby-ed".

IMAG0098_zpsrlmoa2oy.jpg

Band tears are funny too!

Archived