Sports statistics that should be done away with

johnnysama

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corsi and Fenwick

They should track shots throughout the game as Missed, Blocked, or On Goal, so you always see all three columns. As it is, sometimes you get shots on goal, sometimes you get blocked shots a little later, and missed shots are hardly accounted for at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I haven't gotten into advanced stats for hockey for reasons three: One, I enjoy keeping some mystery in the game. If stats become too predictive then it ruins the element of excitement. Two, we've always known that the better teams outshoot and outposess their opponent. That's not a new concept and I'm capable of watching a game and knowing which team is carrying the play without looking at a fancy line graph. My non-hockey fan friends think I have a sixth sense for predicting when a team is about to score, but really I'm just trained to see the signs for when a goal is nigh. That's right, NIGH. Three, I watch sports to get away from work. I spend all day looking at excel spreadsheets and charts and graphs. I don't want to do math homework after I get off work.

I'm not saying advanced stats aren't useful ways to measure and track the game. They're very necessary and every team should employ a numbers guy. I just don't care to dive into that deep end.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've never found that advanced stats ruin the "mystery" or fun of sports. More knowledge can only add to more enjoyment because you can see the game from a wider standpoint. People think the same about music - that studying theory will somehow diminish the pleasure of music. No, it will just make you appreciate it more.

The secondary assist in hockey.

I've never quite gotten why the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the goal is rewarded in the points column. Basketball and soccer don't award multiple people on single goals. It's a pretty cheap way to get stat points. Probably a bargaining chip proposed by the players so that they have a better shake at contract negotiations.

I could accept secondary assists if it has its own statistical distinction but doesn't count towards your assists total.

The save has always been weird to me just because they decided that a 3 run lead was to be the cutoff. Seems arbitrary.

I can remember a Reds reliever, probably Francisco Cordero because he was awful, come into the 9th with an 8 run lead. He gave up 5 or 6 runs, managed to get 3 outs, and worked himself into a save situation so he got a save basically by being sh***y.

A reliever isn't allowed to create a save opportunity for himself. He might have been brought in with a 5 run lead and the bases loaded and allowed 4 to score and gotten the save (since the tying run was on deck when he came in).

While on the topic of saves I would say at the very least the blown save stat should be amended. You shouldn't be able to blow a save in the seventh inning and it happens all the time. Case and point, your league leader in blown saves last year was Luke Gregerson.

I don't even think it would even be that hard of a rule to change. All you would to say is that in order to qualify for a save you must face what could have theoretically been the last out. So if your coming into the seventh with nobody on base and nobody out, you must face at least nine batters before your able to qualify for a save. It wouldn't take saves away from anyone because you still need to get at least nine batters out in that situation anyway in order to earn a save. It would just make it very clear you need to be in a position to close out the game in order to be charged with a blown save.

I don't mind it. Sometimes the secondary assist is the key play in the scoring sequence. It should be easier to separate primary and secondary assists, though.

The same can be said about basketball and soccer, too.

It can also be awarded to a player that merely possessed the puck before the primary assist man did. I'm not quite up-to-speed on how the NHL awards assists, but most times it's the last three players that handled the puck (goal scorer and the two assistants), even if the goal scorer and primary assist man pass the puck to each other a couple times.

I'm already lukewarm on the idea of making assists an important stat (hockey or basketball) because you can't control the outcome...an assist without a goal (or made shot in basketball) is just a pass. I can live with making RBI's in baseball important because you physically caused the run(s) to score. I can appreciate the creation portion of assists, but assists aren't always pretty passes or even the key play.

Rewarding the pass that lead to the pass that led to the goal, and making that secondary assist equal to a goal in terms of points on your stat line, is excessive. Not only can that pass not even be a pivotal part of the scoring play, you can earn a secondary assist while not even being on the ice as the goal is scored.

QB rating needs to be simplified, rounded. All we know is higher the better, but the why isn't memorable enough.

RBI should stay but it's overrated. Often enough, guys will see better pitches when the more guys on base yes? I dunno, it just seems like a bloated stat in context.

Hit by pitch is fine, it shows pitching wildness- an instant walk. A lot of those is not a good thing, putting more guys on base with generally lower pitch count (not always we know; 0-2 HBP could've been 9 foul balls)

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

ERA is runs per nine innings.

Formula Runs Allowed X9/IP

It's not quite that simple, because an Earned Run vs. an Unearned Run can be subjective in some cases. But a far better measure has replaced it: WHIP.

Absolutely nothing, listen to me.

POTD. No debate, no discussion. Belt him.

Then the person who posted "WAR" gets a primary assist.

Edit: As Admiral points out..."WAR" is secondary assist. Primary to "What is it good for?"

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

CCSLC goal, his third of the year, scored at 12:48 by #658, Gothamite, assisted by #54, Mockba, and #57869, Tigers6884.

Gothamite from Mockba and Tigers6884 at 12:48.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived