raysox's A-League

raysox

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cairns Flying Foxes

So if you didn't know, I posted a poll trying to figure out team names for the teams. I got a lot of great responses, and the majority of the teams were spun off from this poll. One I really liked were the Cairns Taipans. The Taipan is the 3rd most venomous snake in the world, and native to the Northeastern city of Cairns. The logo is the shape of the head, and forms the snake with the team name over it. I went with 3 shades of brown to match the colors of the snakes. Here it is.

But my friend Lachlan Sands, who is an Australian, pointed out the team already exists. The Cairns Taipans are a team i the Australian basketball team. So it was back to square one. Then@HockeyBrunch suggested the name "Flying Foxes". The Flying Fox is a nickname for a massive bat that he saw fly in bunches over the mango trees when he was in Cairns. I looked it up and it'd be so unique I had to do it.

I made a simple crest with a bat silhouette, which is different from Batman. I made the orange and white pop as much as I could. The kits are Under Armour, and I recolored the ones I made for the Taipans. I did all black for the home, then all mango for the clash because it'd be pretty unique color wise.

Good pick up on the Taipans. There is two species of Taipan in Australia the Inland and Coastal so you could still call them the Far North Coastal Taipans?

Also in my favourite logos is the Cairns Taipans.

The Flying Foxes is a great idea, in Australia the indigenous animals are very underutilised as identities ............unsure why?

I realise you already created the Sydney side but the Funnel Web Spider is found all round that area and would fit nicely.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

i Gotta say this is a great topic, and Raysox you have great templates.

For Cairns, I'm torn, I like the crest and name with the flying foxes, but I really like the colors on the second kit for taipans. Maybe you could work to combine those browns and blue with the orange and black of the flying foxes.

Great work

Cairns Flying Foxes

So if you didn't know, I posted a poll trying to figure out team names for the teams. I got a lot of great responses, and the majority of the teams were spun off from this poll. One I really liked were the Cairns Taipans. The Taipan is the 3rd most venomous snake in the world, and native to the Northeastern city of Cairns. The logo is the shape of the head, and forms the snake with the team name over it. I went with 3 shades of brown to match the colors of the snakes. Here it is.

CairnsTaipans.png

But my friend Lachlan Sands, who is an Australian, pointed out the team already exists. The Cairns Taipans are a team i the Australian basketball team. So it was back to square one. Then@HockeyBrunch suggested the name "Flying Foxes". The Flying Fox is a nickname for a massive bat that he saw fly in bunches over the mango trees when he was in Cairns. I looked it up and it'd be so unique I had to do it.

I made a simple crest with a bat silhouette, which is different from Batman. I made the orange and white pop as much as I could. The kits are Under Armour, and I recolored the ones I made for the Taipans. I did all black for the home, then all mango for the clash because it'd be pretty unique color wise.

Cairns.png

Love the looks for both of these concepts. The orange and black really pop against one another in the 2nd set. One question though, when did this guy move from Yuma, AZ to Australia?

tumblr_lynddo3AXZ1r1i7jxo1_r1_500.png

gYH2mW9.png

Sporting Fremantle

So this would be Western Australia's second team, and it needed to be done. All these comments about how Western Australia looked a little lonely on the map I posted must not know how empty it is. But the name Sporting came up a lot in the poll i sent out. I finally got a chance to use it for the 2nd Perth team. I couldn't use any cues from the AFL team based in Fremantle because they're a purple, and so is the Perth Glory. I wanted to use the swan from the WA flag. Fremantle is located at the mouth of the Swan River, so it was fitting. The swan is on a yellow circle, and yellow and black would be the same scheme as Wellington so I went with a Pittsburgh Penguins color scheme.

The kits are pretty simple. I went with umbro so it was gonna be really simple. I wanted this team to be black because gold colored jerseys would look pretty bad in real life. I thought a black/white/black look would be the best alternative. The clash is light blue since not many teams use it, and it would never be worn against Sydney. I put some sublimated hoops to spice it up a little.

Fremantle.png

Sporting Fremantle

So this would be Western Australia's second team, and it needed to be done. All these comments about how Western Australia looked a little lonely on the map I posted must not know how empty it is. But the name Sporting came up a lot in the poll i sent out. I finally got a chance to use it for the 2nd Perth team. I couldn't use any cues from the AFL team based in Fremantle because they're a purple, and so is the Perth Glory. I wanted to use the swan from the WA flag. Fremantle is located at the mouth of the Swan River, so it was fitting. The swan is on a yellow circle, and yellow and black would be the same scheme as Wellington so I went with a Pittsburgh Penguins color scheme.
The kits are pretty simple. I went with umbro so it was gonna be really simple. I wanted this team to be black because gold colored jerseys would look pretty bad in real life. I thought a black/white/black look would be the best alternative. The clash is light blue since not many teams use it, and it would never be worn against Sydney. I put some sublimated hoops to spice it up a little.
Fremantle.png

Another beautiful set here...and I really dig the crest as well. I'm not really sure the shading on the crest is necessary and the text outside of the shield is a little on the odd side, IMO. But still a very solid crest and set.

gYH2mW9.png

Love, love, love the crest for Sporting Fremantle. I really like the composition of it, and the swan looks great. My only complaint is the shading at the bottom of the shield. It doesn't really serve any purpose, and just adds an extra color. The kits are both solid—no complaints there.

Darwin FC

When I first started doing these, I had an idea of a logo not confined by a crest. I tried my best to draw out what I wanted, a boomerang over text. In my head, it was maroon and orange, something really unique. Think of it like an Aussie version of Milwall FC in London. This idea fell to Darwin because the colors seemed to fit the one somewhat major city in the Northern Territory. I looked at boomerang art, and tried to match it. I put a kangaroo, and some circular patterns on it.

The kits are basic. I used a Puma template and played around with some things. The kits are head to toe maroon, then orange and black on the clash. The sponsor is Air Asia, since the club is the closest to the Southeast Asia region.

Darwin.png

I really like how you stepped outside of the "normal crest" box with this one. While I'm not entirely sold on the font and how the black text doesn't really show up all that well on the main kit, the rest of the crest is an excellent take on the boomerang art (especially with the kangaroo incorporated). The color scheme and the kits are top-notch, and add to the uniqueness of the look.

Two very nice concepts here. For Freemantle, the swan looks good, the colors look good, and the kits look good. I think the shading can stay on the crest, since while it does add another color to the scheme, it also takes up some of that empty space of the yellow. For Darwin, I think that's the best option for an Aboriginal theme, as I assume you're not going to be giving Alice Springs a team. I'm a huge fan of those colors, and the work on the boomerang is amazing. I'm ok with the font choice, as I feel it works well with the theme, but I do agree with SFGiants58 in that the wordmark needs to be white on the home jersey, it definitely gets lost easily. I also fear that were Darwin to visit Cairns that the matches would seem like intra-squad matchups. I know it's less of a problem in soccer than other sports, but I'm not so sure how that'd look on the field. Beyond that, another lovely two concepts. Nice work!

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

You can get the template on the first page of the thread

I know, but the template on the first page is a svg file.

that's because that's what the template is, its a vector. Inkscape is free and you can open svg files with that. If you're looking for a png file, you're going to have to trace it yourself.

Archived